Options

People you don't see on tv much anymore

Comments

• Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Pennis all but disappeared shortly after he arrived in the 90s. Still laugh when I recall him interviewing Steve Martin, and basically telling him he was a shite comedian.

And thanks to the guy above for the pointer on the Antoine de Caunes MUTV Cantona interview - so it wasn't a completely daft name to mention after all!

Did Melinda Messenger ever do anything in recent years aside from one series of Cowboy Builders with comical manlet Dom Littlewood?

After the Alan Partridge shows, Patrick Marber seemed to disappear to go back to theatre. I thought he was really funny.

Where's Kevin Eldon these days?
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

About to be Penfold to Alexander Armstrong's Dangermouse!
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Ruby Wax used to be everywhere, but now I can't remember when is the last time I saw her on TV. Also Julian Clary, but I do remember seeing him recently and was a bit shocked by how bad he looked. Can't say I missed them or many others listed here (Clive Anderson, Jim Davidson, Carol Smillie, and the like), the one I missed is Clive James, especially given that he is very ill and is unlikely to grace our screen much apart from the inevitable ones to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Ruby Wax used to be everywhere, but now I can't remember when is the last time I saw her on TV. Also Julian Clary, but I do remember seeing him recently and was a bit shocked by how bad he looked. Can't say I missed them or many others listed here (Clive Anderson, Jim Davidson, Carol Smillie, and the like), the one I missed is Clive James, especially given that he is very ill and is unlikely to grace our screen much apart from the inevitable ones to come.
    I miss Clive James too. I also miss his TV show sidekick, Margarita Bragata or whatever her name was. Julian Clary looked reasonable on CBB a few years back, he must have let himself go since then. A great shame that Clary was pushed to the TV fringes after 'fistgate'.

This thread has actually made me quite nostalgic for the whole mid-90s TFI Friday/Priory Clinic crowd, so many names from that era have been dropped here.

Which brings me on to this: for those who remember TFI Friday, whatever happened to 'Will'? I remember he was almost Chris Evans' co-host (may even have hosted the show on rare occasion) - but he seemingly inexplicably disappeared during the show's run, and was never referred to again...
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 24,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Pennis all but disappeared shortly after he arrived in the 90s. Still laugh when I recall him interviewing Steve Martin, and basically telling him he was a shite comedian.

And thanks to the guy above for the pointer on the Antoine de Caunes MUTV Cantona interview - so it wasn't a completely daft name to mention after all!

Paul Kaye hasn't done Dennis Pennis in years but acts regularly including those awful betvictor ads.

Antoine de Caunes I believe still works in french TV.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carole Smillie is still on TV up in Scotland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Carole Smillie is still on TV up in Scotland
    And on those awful Calgon 'give me the science, Derek' adverts.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Clary, never found him funny btw, he turned up a couple of weeks back on Alan Davies Untitled, still been unfunny IMO.

Ruby Wax, had mental health problems, IIRC when she was at her height she was booking herself out of the Priory, filming and going back in.
    I think she's now a qualified mental health professional.
    She's now got comedy show she tours about mental health, started intially performing to 'her people' (the mentally ill) in hospitals now she's expanded it.
    I think part of the reason she got away from TV is because it skewed her values and she believed her own hype 'do you know who I am?'
    I've got lots of time for Ruby Wax, as you can tell.

I miss Clive James too. I also miss his TV show sidekick, Margarita Bragata or whatever her name was. Julian Clary looked reasonable on CBB a few years back, he must have let himself go since then. A great shame that Clary was pushed to the TV fringes after 'fistgate'.

This thread has actually made me quite nostalgic for the whole mid-90s TFI Friday/Priory Clinic crowd, so many names from that era have been dropped here.

Which brings me on to this: for those who remember TFI Friday, whatever happened to 'Will'? I remember he was almost Chris Evans' co-host (may even have hosted the show on rare occasion) - but he seemingly inexplicably disappeared during the show's run, and was never referred to again...

Clive James, I got the impression BBC Radio 4 thought he was going to kick the bucket about a 18 months ago, a few bits of old Radio work started reappearing on there.
    Will was a producer or something behind the Cameras though, I wasn't expecting to see him ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Paul Kaye hasn't done Dennis Pennis in years but acts regularly including those awful betvictor ads.

Antoine de Caunes I believe still works in french TV.

Dennis Pennis only had a limited shelf life, Paul had to turn it in when the word got out and people got wise to who he was.
    He did a cracking one with Meatloaf, but he totally disarmed Dennis by coming out with funnier and sharper comebacks, ended up singing IIRC.

He does a good funny drunk does Paul, he was good value in Pulling as Karen's trainwreck of a boyfriend Billy.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Dennis Pennis only had a limited shelf life, Paul had to turn it in when the word got out and people got wise to who he was.
    He did a cracking one with Meatloaf, but he totally disarmed Dennis by coming out with funnier and sharper comebacks, ended up singing IIRC.

He does a good funny drunk does Paul, he was good value in Pulling as Karen's trainwreck of a boyfriend Billy.

The Meat Loaf thing was Avid Merrion, not Dennis Pennis.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Will is still a producer and is involved in the TFI Revival in June. He looks exactly the same.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has been on Game of Thrones of all places!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    The Meat Loaf thing was Avid Merrion, not Dennis Pennis.

Aah, I stand corrected, I'd look for it on youtube but it's probably not as funny as I remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aah, I stand corrected, I'd look for it on youtube but it's probably not as funny as I remember.

I just watched it. It is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    He has been on Game of Thrones of all places!

The world and his wife seems to be on that show, given the number of references to it I see on DS threads.
    I'm still clueless as to what channel it's on or what it's about though, a lot of 'popular' TV passes me by though :)
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Clive James, I got the impression BBC Radio 4 thought he was going to kick the bucket about a 18 months ago, a few bits of old Radio work started reappearing on there.
    Will was a producer or something behind the Cameras though, I wasn't expecting to see him ever again.
    He is still clinging on. I read him a few months ago saying that he was embarrassed still being alive after telling everyone that he is going to die. Either he has a very strong constitution, or he is getting very good treatment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pennis's top moment was his probing question to Demi Moore, she probably still doesn't get the gag.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did Melinda Messenger ever do anything in recent years aside from one series of Cowboy Builders with comical manlet Dom Littlewood?

After the Alan Partridge shows, Patrick Marber seemed to disappear to go back to theatre. I thought he was really funny.

Dennis Pennis was just a character, like Keith Lemon.
    Paul Kaye the actor who played him has popped up in several things over the years since, films as well as television. I saw him in a British crime film called Pusher the other week where he played some horrible rich coke fiend.
    Apparently he's going to be in Doctor Who this year.

I don't know if anybody can remember this far back, but do you remember that edition of The Word where Oliver Reed was pissed out of his mind and there was some annoying sycophant in his dressing room on a hidden camera winding him up by just crawling to him? Well that was Paul Kaye. That might have even been his first TV appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Pennis was just a character, like Keith Lemon.
    Paul Kaye the actor who played him has popped up in several things over the years since, films as well as television. I saw him in a British crime film called Pusher the other week where he played some horrible rich coke fiend.
    Apparently he's going to be in Doctor Who this year.

I don't know if anybody can remember this far back, but do you remember that edition of The Word where Oliver Reed was pissed out of his mind and there was some annoying sycophant in his dressing room on a hidden camera winding him up by just crawling to him? Well that was Paul Kaye. That might have even been his first TV appearance.
    I remember that - it was hilarious. Up there with Terry Christian/Mark Lamarr losing their cool with Shabba Ranks after the latter stated gays should be crucified.

Talking of The Word presenters, is Katie Puckrik doing anything these days? She was the only one I didn't like, found her very irritating.

And quite a few celebrity chefs of the day seem to have vanished - not seen Gary Rhodes for ages. Then again, not seen Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook for a while either.

"...and remember, if Yan Can Cook, so can you!"
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby Wax used to be everywhere, but now I can't remember when is the last time I saw her on TV. .

Ruby was being interviewed on Mel & Sue a few weeks ago :)

Trinny and Susannah came to mind after Trinny was shown on Graham Norton last week. Is their brand of fashion-crit unfashionable now?

Some of the Blue Peter presenters - Liz Barker, Simon Thomas, Katy Hill, Romana D'Annunzio.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Trinny and Susannah came to mind after Trinny was shown on Graham Norton last week. Is their brand of fashion-crit unfashionable now?

I think they do QVC now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to stool-sample afficionado Gillian McKeith?

Did her cringeworthy histrionics on I'm A Celebrity put the final nail into her long-overdue TV career coffin?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of presenters from children's TV, I always recall Andy Crane disappearing almost completely after the video games show he hosted wih Violet Berlin

I hear him on Radio Manchester, talking of video game programs and Katy Puckrick (who someone else mentioned.) I wonder what happened to the two other better looking women who were on Bits ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear him on Radio Manchester, talking of video game programs and Katy Puckrick (who someone else mentioned.) I wonder what happened to the two other better looking women who were on Bits ?
    I was the one who mentioned Katie Puckrik also.

One of the other women who presented BITS was Emily Booth (the outstandingly fit one). She now voiceovers/hosts the Horror channel, regularly appearing on segments and interviewing nerds at Frightfest. She even appeared in one low-budget horror film as a lead character.

As for the third BITS presenter, who knows...
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the one who mentioned Katie Puckrik also.

One of the other women who presented BITS was Emily Booth (the outstandingly fit one). She now voiceovers/hosts the Horror channel, regularly appearing on segments and interviewing nerds at Frightfest. She even appeared in one low-budget horror film as a lead character.

As for the third BITS presenter, who knows...

I remember Emily Booth, forgot she was one of The Bits presenters for a while. I do have Cradle of Fear, Pervirella, Evil Aliens and Inbred on DVD as I have no taste in movies.
    There was an American called Alex or Aleks with a Russian surname and another short haired brunette who I think was replaced by Emily Booth.