Options

My house can't function normally without free supermarket carrier bags

Comments

• Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here - we use them for so much.

I think the government thinks everybody just throws them away as soon as they get their shopping out of them, but we use them for loads of things (including using them to line the peddle bin to put rubbish in).

If we don't have them we will either have to pay for them or buy other plastic bags for the rubbish bin etc.

It does annoy me when we have the shopping delivered sometimes and they put just one or 2 small items into 1 bag and also when I go to M&S sometimes you have to pay for bags if you have loads of shopping, but when you just buy something small like a card or sandwich that you could carry they automatically start putting it into a bag (where is the logic in that).
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,591
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    When you think about it, supermarkets are the biggest hypocrites and a joke.... you can still buy bags if your stuck for one... so how is that helping the environment.

It's not the supermarkets who are enforcing this charge.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go buy a roll of bin liners, sarny bags etc etc - they're not expensive.

Sort of defeats the object of not using plastic bags though isnt it?

I object to paying for something that is an advert for the store concerned. It was also sold as for the environment and specifically cited plastic, but also includes paper bags I understand.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't mind if we have to pay for carrier bags or not, but what i do object to is assistants giving me the smallest bag possible, to the point of forcing things into bags and you can actually see the plastic stretching. I want a big normal bag i can get my shopping in, my brolly, everything.. purse, hat, scarves the lot , the bigger the better, it makes my blood boil to be given tiny wafer thin bags. if shops are going to do that then they need to charge you less for the smaller bags and more for the big bags
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUY? Did you deliberately miss the whole point?

We are being forced to pay now for something we should get free.

So yes we are now being forced as we won't be able to get what has been given free of charge for 100s of years thank to liberal hippies and their green nonsense being forced on everyone.

Why should we get them free, exactly? The supermarkets don't, the corner shops don't, the chippy and kebab shops don't. We are paying for the goods, not the bags. Would you be happier if everything in your trolley went up by 1p per item to cover the costs of the bags? Because that would work out a hell of a lot more expensive, and no doubt you'd be moaning about that too.

You can buy 'Bags for Life' from most supermarkets for about 12p. Bite the bullet and invest a couple of quid - if/when they fall apart, the supermarket will replace them free. If you want bin liners, buy some.

The sense of entitlement in your post is hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i don't mind if we have to pay for carrier bags or not, but what i do object to is assistants giving me the smallest bag possible, to the point of forcing things into bags and you can actually see the plastic stretching. I want a big normal bag i can get my shopping in, my brolly, everything.. purse, hat, scarves the lot , the bigger the better, it makes my blood boil to be given tiny wafer thin bags

Why should shops give you a bigger bag than what is actually needed for what you've bought from them? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Why should we get them free, exactly? The supermarkets don't, the corner shops don't, the chippy and kebab shops don't. We are paying for the goods, not the bags. Would you be happier if everything in your trolley went up by 1p per item to cover the costs of the bags? Because that would work out a hell of a lot more expensive, and no doubt you'd be moaning about that too.

You can buy 'Bags for Life' from most supermarkets for about 12p. Bite the bullet and invest a couple of quid - if/when they fall apart, the supermarket will replace them free. If you want bin liners, buy some.

The sense of entitlement in your post is hilarious.

Perhaps it's a wind-up.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever thrown a carrier bag away. I usually find a use for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why should shops give you a bigger bag than what is actually needed for what you've bought from them? :confused:

They need to make them stronger if people have to pay for them. Many a time I have seen people's shopping all over the floor as the bags are very flimsy.
    So does anyone know if they will be making them fit for purpose now people will be paying for them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've ever thrown a carrier bag away. I usually find a use for them.

Most people do find a use for them.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    As long as I don't have to pay extra for my bin liners and the baseball bat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's a wind-up.

I thought of that as I was pressing 'Submit Reply'. Bugger. :D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    of course.......in the olden days when I was young and stupid, but mainly 'thin'........we used to get the standard side handle carrier bags like this style.....

http://mycarrierbag.co.uk/images/source/Candy_Strip_Blue_1.jpg

and cut off the straight bottom..........then you could wear it like a tank top

:D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Is your life as you know it seriously going to stop without free supermarket bags!!!

<snip>

Given that there are serious life threatening issues in the world such as disease, poverty, war etc forgive me if I don't take your 'problem' too seriously.

Methinks someone is taking Danny's post rather too seriously. It's an irreverent point, not a serious complaint! (I hope :o)
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its taken very seriously at the tills when the checkout girl or man gives you a look with .DO YOU HAVE YOUR OWN BAGS... as if its a crime...and here I am the dafty showing them my bright red canvas ones from ebay to make them smile hahaha hilarious , it really is...remember this is while the lights in these shops are so bright you end up with a migraine.....NOW why is the government not asking them to tone it down with harsh strong lighting in all these shops.. their not needed.. and a total waste... our big Tesco is opened 24 hours with their lights never off... why then dont more new build shops have perspex roofs so that natural lighting can be used during the daylight hours..... think about it...for all those so keen on saving our planet..
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeeez, if a few of your purchases went up by 5p you wouldn't notice. I and probably most people wouldn't bend down to pick up 5p, so what on earth is the fuss about :confused: 4 bags, 20p. Big deal.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit pathetic really but when shopping in a supermarket I sometimes like to advertise other stores with a large bag for life. I use M&S bags in Sainsburys.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    It's a bit pathetic really but when shopping in a supermarket I sometimes like to advertise other stores with a large bag for life. I use M&S bags in Sainsburys.

I don't think anyone notices really :D

I've even taken out a nice green reusable Home Bargains bag in Waitrose before without anyone batting an eyelid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Jeeez, if a few of your purchases went up by 5p you wouldn't notice. I and probably most people wouldn't bend down to pick up 5p, so what on earth is the fuss about :confused: 4 bags, 20p. Big deal.

It's often the stupidity of the concepts that apalls.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's a wind-up.
    It has to be. Nobody can possibly think that plastic bags were given away free for "100s of years"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I don't think anyone notices really :D

I've even taken out a nice green reusable Home Bargains bag in Waitrose before without anyone batting an eyelid!

It was more of a confession. :blush:
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here, I always re use them several times . The Govt aren't going to cut down waste a great deal because now I use kitchen swing bin liners for things I used to put in Supermarket plastic bags, & I don't think swing bin liners are biodegradable either .
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have nearly come to the end of my stock of bags, will have to forget my bags when I go shopping soon so I can get some more. I use them in the bathroom bin and in the bin in the sitting room.

It's all very well being environmentally friendly and using hessian bags but sometimes you need plastic bags
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next thing I'd like to see introduced is a deposit on glass and plastic bottles and drinks cans.

This already happens and has done for years in Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands. I'd suggest 10p on a can, 10p on a small drinks bottle and 25p on large plastic and glass bottles. This would really cut down on litter and encourage recycling.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a Lidl shopper for a year now, and as there are no free plastic bags in that store we are already living without free plastic bags.

Firstly, the long life heavy duty lidls bag last for many months. Don't bother buying the normal lidl plastic bags.

We can buy bin liners and other small plastic bags very chaply.