80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Words fail me about what a truly repugnant monster Savile was
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the first 15 minutes. I thought I knew quite a bit but this is a real eye opener.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interesting, some stuff I hadn't seen before

Like what? I don't get C5 here.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking he got away with abusing kids all his life. Pity I don't have a dog because I'd visit his grave and let the dog s**t on it!
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumours about Saville have existed for many years and it's only now that the enormity of the circle he was involved with is beginning to emerge. Given the high-profile names that he associated with, it's no wonder that complaints were hushed-up at the time. If the apparently well researched rumours that abound on the internet are to be believed, this programme only scratched the surface - there were far more heinous crimes committed against youngsters by well-connected and influential individuals.

Sadly, I very much doubt that the victims of Saville and his powerful associates will ever get full justice, there's too many well-connected people still alive who have everything to lose if all comes out. If Saville had been brought to book whilst he was still alive, I've no doubt that, as the middle-man, he would have sung like a canary and taken a few down with him. He knew they daren't touch him and he used this to his own nefarious advantage.

Although not apparently part of the Elm Guest House / Dolphin Square clique, who would have ever thought that Rolf Harris would emerge as a pedophile?
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading on this very forum, a few years ago, the various comments about Savile and his connections to 'the Establishment', the royal family and other celebs, who were all involved in the abuse of children and how it was all covered up. At least it is all coming out, albeit many years too late for his victims. I believe that the truth will always come out, even if it takes a long time.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bit about his nephew in the brothel in London was very strange
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I remember reading on this very forum, a few years ago, the various comments about Savile and his connections to 'the Establishment', the royal family and other celebs, who were all involved in the abuse of children and how it was all covered up. At least it is all coming out, albeit many years too late for his victims. I believe that the truth will always come out, even if it takes a long time.

I suspect much of what is beginning to emerge is as a result of investigation by foreign police forces rather than our own, last week's arrests across the UK were as a result of intelligence from canadian police.

I wonder if we'll ever get to find out if 'Kitty' and 'Miranda' did actually have a sexual relationship? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This is just a repeat of 'Crimes that shook Britain' that is on the Crime & Investigation Channel, last weeks about Lee Rigby was the same
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. Savile was able to carry out his sick perversions for decades pretty much with impunity, protected by powerful friends and acquaintances. Untouchable in life, and certainly untouchable now, a national disgrace. We can only hope evil people really do pay for their sins in the afterlife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    This is just a repeat of 'Crimes that shook Britain' that is on the Crime & Investigation Channel, last weeks about Lee Rigby was the same

I don't think it shed any new light on anything. Just allegations and people's opinions.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's time the 'Media' stopped protecting paedophiles, only reporting on the dead ones. The press must have dossiers filled with information on high-profile paedophiles, and what do they do with this information? Nothing.

The days of journalists doing secret undercover work to expose corrupt presidents and dodgy politicians are long gone. They all 'look after' one another these days.

The Media is as much to blame for this mess as Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's time the 'Media' stopped protecting paedophiles, only reporting on the dead ones. The press must have dossiers filled with information on high-profile paedophiles, and what do they do with this information? Nothing.
    I bet the now disgraced Max Clifford has some interesting information since it was his job to prevent damaging stories about his clients getting published.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The days of journalists doing secret undercover work to expose corrupt presidents and dodgy politicians are long gone. They all 'look after' one another these days.

The Media is as much to blame for this mess as Jimmy Savile.

No danger of being sued by dead alleged criminals.

Newspapers have never really investigated each other. The biggest criminal in British newspaper history was the Mirror's past owner but I don't think it was the other newspapers who exposed him and of course he was close to most of the leadership of the Labour party. Later when the tabloids were harassing Princess Diana, a TV programme gave a couple of editors a bit of their own medicine by doorstepping their homes and having a camera on a cherry picker looking into an editor's first floor flat - you would not find other newspapers doing that to them. They got very upset at being on the receiving end of what they did to others and called the police who were very amused at the situation!
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    I have no interest in this type of thing. Just let the man rest in peace. None of this will ever be proven true because hes dead. Sorry if that upsets people but these are all allegations that will never be proven because hes not here anymore.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this a repeat? I didn't watch it because I thought it was.
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor that played Les Battersby was on Jeremy Kyle being interviewed some time ago. He talked about how the press, under some other guise, plied him with drinks and got him to slag off his colleagues on Corrie. They also tried to get him to go "upstairs" with a woman (or maybe two, this is from memory) but he didn't. Next day the news broke with a big story about him slagging off his colleagues but if he'd gone upstairs with the woman that's what the story would have been about.

We also have the more recent Tulisa debacle.

My point? The press has power to make and break careers. If they can go to so much trouble to get dirt on b-listers like Battersby and Tulisa then why couldn't they have exposed Savile and thus have protected hundreds of victims-to-be? The answer, obviously, has to be that they were also in on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect much of what is beginning to emerge is as a result of investigation by foreign police forces rather than our own, last week's arrests across the UK were as a result of intelligence from canadian police.

I wonder if we'll ever get to find out if 'Kitty' and 'Miranda' did actually have a sexual relationship? :o

Forgive my ignorance but could you give a clue who Miranda is please? ( or a PM. )
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance but could you give a clue who Miranda is please? ( or a PM. )

The 'Blair Witch Project' was a terrible movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'Blair Witch Project' was a terrible movie.

Oh, of course! I try to forget that man ever existed. Thanks.
  • Options
    earlbearlb Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    . Just let the man rest in peace. None of this will ever be proven true because hes dead. Sorry if that upsets people but these are all allegations that will never be proven because hes not here anymore.

At last - A statement of common sense.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earlb wrote: »
    At last - A statement of common sense.

I wouldn't call ignoring all the available evidence a statement of common sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    slightly off topic, there was an interesting segment on 'the paedophile next door' about PIE PaedophileInformation Exchange that was a legitimate group in government. until the 1980s they were disbanded,it supplied paedophiles with institutes to vulnerable children,it probably answers why so much of this went on.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed it. Forgot it was on. Watching a Jason Statham movie instead. It was quite good. :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    My point? The press has power to make and break careers. If they can go to so much trouble to get dirt on b-listers like Battersby and Tulisa then why couldn't they have exposed Savile and thus have protected hundreds of victims-to-be? The answer, obviously, has to be that they were also in on it.
    I am sure that if you looked at the back copies of the tabloids over the period that they love to criticise the BBC over, you will find that he regularly appeared in those same tabloids and was regularly praised by them. Didn't have regularly columns in some?