Options

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally calm dear, but it's annoying that some folk perpetuate completely untrue stories about Clarkson, and your post typifies that. Others would look at your comment, see that it fits in with their biased view of him, then accept it as 'fact' then use it as a stick to beat him with, "I can't believe that JC ranted at the bloke for a whole hour".

The fact that ranting at someone for half an hour is bang out of order should be noted at this stage, just in case anyone thinks I'm condoning that!

I suppose you have never misread anything? Ever.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    More people have signed the Clarkson petition than signed one to save the NHS.
    Just shows how low the voters set their sights - beer and circuses.

Orwell right again - Distract the proles with cheap pop songs and soap operas and they won't have the inclination to question authority.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It's not slander if it's true.

If it is true, they need to provide evidence of discrimination based on sex or race.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Maybe he thinks parliamentary privilege extends to Question Time.

It was Lucy Powell. It was quite amusing when Ian Hislop described how JC threw a brio at him and hit him in the face drawing blood during filming of HIGNFY
    The panel were unanimous that he should go.,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    More people have signed the Clarkson petition than signed one to save the NHS.
    Just shows how low the voters set their sights - beer and circuses.

Or maybe which petitions get the most media coverage...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    If it is true, they need to provide evidence of discrimination based on sex or race.

The 'slope' comment could be what is being referred to, or the eeny meeny incident?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    It was Lucy Powell. It was quite amusing when Ian Hislop described how JC threw a brio at him and hit him in the face drawing blood during filming of HIGNFY

Judge, jury and executioner?

Do we not investigate, hear arguments, look at evidence and try to find out the truth anymore?

That is not a country I want to live in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    The 'slope' comment could be what is being referred to, or the eeny meeny incident?

Neither of those are discriminatory. And both are ridiculous.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member

The former I should think. The latter was just a mumble that wasn't even broadcast IIRC.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose you have never misread anything? Ever.

Of course I have. Once.

But my point is that this is how the lies or at least the mistruths get perpetuated. Someone reads that he ranted for an hour, ergo it becomes 'fact'. Same as someone reads that he's homophobic so continues that mistruth, and when you actually look at the basis of the claim, it's because he called a car 'gay' and make a quip about George Michael.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member

Apparently "slope" is an ethnic slur. The other was ridiculous, I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I have. Once.

But my point is that this is how the lies or at least the mistruths get perpetuated. Someone reads that he ranted for an hour, ergo it becomes 'fact'. Same as someone reads that he's homophobic so continues that mistruth, and when you actually look at the basis of the claim, it's because he called a car 'gay' and make a quip about George Michael.

So you are accusing me of lying? Nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or the naming of his black dog, 'Didier Dogba'. If someone wants to be offended, you'd be hard pressed to stop them, even if in reality there is nothing actually offensive in the first place.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-and-his-black-dog-didier-dogba-unsurprisingly-manage-to-offend-another-group-of-people-9273173.html
    The Top Gear presenter this morning announced that he was calling his new small black dog, Didier Dogba, after the former Chelsea footballer Didier Drogba.

Cue an onslaught of comments accusing Clarkson of racism, proving that his appetite to stir controversy really knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say they were discrimination or sensible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »

An ill-advised pun, granted. But hardly discrimination or persecution against Asian people.

It is just a word, and was not directed at anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are accusing me of lying? Nice.

*sigh*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An ill-advised pun, granted. But hardly discrimination or persecution against Asian people.

It is just a word, and was not directed at anyone.
    Well, apart from the Asian chap walking along the bridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh*

Well, are you accusing me of lying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or the naming of his black dog, 'Didier Dogba'. If someone wants to be offended, you'd be hard pressed to stop them, even if in reality there is nothing actually offensive in the first place.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-and-his-black-dog-didier-dogba-unsurprisingly-manage-to-offend-another-group-of-people-9273173.html

So what if he named his dog after a white footballer and said "I would never name my dog after a black man" would that be better or worse?

Again, it is a pun.

Now, if, for example, he had refused to interview Will Smith because he is black... we might have something to talk about.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge, jury and executioner?

Do we not investigate, hear arguments, look at evidence and try to find out the truth anymore?

That is not a country I want to live in.

If it looks like an a*** , smells like an a***, and sounds like an a***, then it's a fair bet it is indeed and a***.

If he is on a final warning then irrespective of the degree of violence , he has admitted to bad behaviour , that is not in dispute, so he needs to go and the BBC need to be seen to treat ALL their employees decently , fairly and transparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, apart from the Asian chap walking along the bridge.

It wasn't directed at him and he was probably in on the joke anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it looks like an a*** , smells like an a***, and sounds like an a***, then it's a fair bet it is indeed and a***.

Lets get rid of the court system while we are at it.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to be kidding me.....
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The panel were scared to not be seen as right-on and so subject to vilification by supporting Clarkson or just by not being sufficiently outraged.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »

It is? :confused:

So what do people ski down these days?