Options

Work and high staff turn overs...

Rick GrimesRick Grimes Posts: 274
Forum Member
Year after year me and the other long term staff have to deal with new groups of staff every year, younger and ruder and more cliquey every year.

Anyone else experienced this.

Comments

• Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not really. But then we don't have a high turn over of staff.
  • Options
    Rogue277Rogue277 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Year after year me and the other long term staff have to deal with new groups of staff every year, younger and ruder and more cliquey every year.

Maybe it's because the working conditions are bad.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    People usually describe others as being cliquey when they aren't in the clique.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 11 different managers in four years, including no manager when during one of the regular "restructures" HQ forgot to give two of us a boss at all until we eventually mentioned that their latest memo didn't include us. At one time my token boss of the season was 250 miles away. Fortunately I work from home so have avoided seeing much of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 11 different managers in four years, including no manager when during one of the regular "restructures" HQ forgot to give two of us a boss at all until we eventually mentioned that their latest memo didn't include us. At one time my token boss of the season was 250 miles away. Fortunately I work from home so have avoided seeing much of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    People usually describe others as being cliquey when they aren't in the clique.

Oh come on that is very black and white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come on that is very black and white.
    I call it as I see it.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I call it as I see it.
    What an original line.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What line of business?
    If you belong to a group of "long term" staff why do others leave and why are the new lot "younger and ruder"?
  • Options
    markjonsonmarkjonson Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I'm a bus driver, I've given up getting to know any of the new drivers, the staff turnover is unreal. It's a combination of the job and the way the company treat their drivers.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »

o_0 I don't know whether to laugh or not at that. Did it make you feel you were stuck in a bad comedy film?
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »

I wish somebody would forget to give me a boss, I so would not have mentioned it. As long as I kept getting paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What an original line.
    Not really, but it is quite curious that you chose to respond to it.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds exactly the same as where I work.

New managers is worse as you have to start again, proving yourself like it is you who is new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    o_0 I don't know whether to laugh or not at that. Did it make you feel you were stuck in a bad comedy film?
    I wish somebody would forget to give me a boss, I so would not have mentioned it. As long as I kept getting paid.

Me and the other member of staff they forgot to give a boss to left it a couple of months, carried on doing our jobs and still got paid. It was fine until we realised we were also missing out on the 1 in 10 company emailed memos that were of value to know about, so we pointed out the boo-boo.
    Until then no one noticed we weren't at regional meetings, occasional phone calls led to "Dunno, I've not been told anything" ... and on we went.
    So they gave us a boss miles away who was too busy to care what we were up to, and then that boss changed again after six months. But at least we were on the email loop once more as announcements were "cascaded down".
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My place of work opened a year and half ago. When it opened the staff were roughly 90% British born. About 6 months in from opening there was a restructuring. The company had taken on too many supervisory employees and the business couldn't sustain them.
    The supervisors were offered a slightly lesser role and small cut in their pay. A mass exodus followed. The staff who replaced them were also British but because there was no fast track to promotion, they left as well. It got so bad that one week you'd see a new face and the next week they'd be gone. At some point the business started focussing solely on it's needs and made working conditions near enough unbearable. Another exodus followed in which the company turned to European workers to fill the vacancies.
    They literally flew employees in and gave them temporary accommodation. But when these new workers left because of these working practices, the business changed tact and cut the amount of work we were doing and gave us more breaks.

The company I work for is actually one of the best in the industry. Three of the British staff who had left, have come back. Others seemingly want to come back, because you see them visiting now and again.

The workforce is now roughly 70% European and the turnover of staff has stabilized.
    I made the observation about British and European workers because many feel the Europeans workers deprive the natives of job opportunities. When in fact many of the natives don't want those jobs in the first place.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had a recruitment freeze for the past five years!

Apart from the odd agency temp or internal transfer from another department,there hasn't been a single new face.

In fact due to natural wastages not being replaced, there seems to be less and less of us every week!
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An acquaintance of mine runs a small manufacturing company.

It's not especially grotty work, the pay is reasonable and over a period of time you'll have the opportunity to progress.

He tells me that he generally prefers to employ workers from Eastern Europe nowadays. He had a bit of a rant at me recently where he said that most young Brits he encounters (and by 'young' he means 35 and under, and due to the nature of the work will usually be male) have a poor attitude, think the whole world owes them a favour, have poor punctuality, poor productivity, and spend too much time standing around talking, usually about computer games, football, or what they got up to over the weekend. He also said that British staff coming in hungover or very tired was also an issue.

In contrast, he says Eastern Europeans, including the young, are hard-working, punctual, polite, and don't take the mickey with stuff like time off/sickness etc. He even said he recently insisted one of his Eastern European staff went home after he could tell by looking at him that he was unwell. The lad was reluctant to go, despite him offering to pay him full whack until he was better.

It's a totally different ethic. The reality is that a lot of young Brits have been mollycoddled and need to buck their ideas up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine runs a small manufacturing company.

It's not especially grotty work, the pay is reasonable and over a period of time you'll have the opportunity to progress.

He tells me that he generally prefers to employ workers from Eastern Europe nowadays. He had a bit of a rant at me recently where he said that most young Brits he encounters (and by 'young' he means 35 and under, and due to the nature of the work will usually be male) have a poor attitude, think the whole world owes them a favour, have poor punctuality, poor productivity, and spend too much time standing around talking, usually about computer games, football, or what they got up to over the weekend. He also said that British staff coming in hungover or very tired was also an issue.

In contrast, he says Eastern Europeans, including the young, are hard-working, punctual, polite, and don't take the mickey with stuff like time off/sickness etc. He even said he recently insisted one of his Eastern European staff went home after he could tell by looking at him that he was unwell. The lad was reluctant to go, despite him offering to pay him full whack until he was better.

It's a totally different ethic. The reality is that a lot of young Brits have been mollycoddled and need to buck their ideas up.

Are british youngsters lazy everyone?
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cheat, lie, and manipulate your way to the top, because deep down, you know you cannot compete at a level playing field with everyone else
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have worked in this hotel going on 5 years next week and I have seen alot of people come and go and the clicks forming and splitting thats just the world of work
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are british youngsters lazy everyone?

Its a big problem, the company I used to work for had issues with young people and went through them like there was no tomorrow.

They seem to have a problem with being told what to do.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I call it as I see it.

But when you call it you seem to call it wrong. Perhaps you'd be better off not calling it?
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No cliques but we have a high turnover of staff. Since our new manager came in September she has hired about 8 people. Two were fired, one quit and another one is likely to quit soon.

The ones that have stayed are pretty unreliable and usually ring in sick within their first week or so.

Thing is though. She's admitted to me that she favours her new staff and hopes the one she hasn't hired will leave. This includes me, which I will be doing soon.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're I work hasn't really had a high staff turn over with the main staff but it has with the lower contract staff but that's expected they are only really there for experience etc. we have however after 6 years got a new manger and it feels like starting again and we have no idea what the guy likes or what way he likes things done yet.

So from pretty much working on auto pilot for the last few years its a bit of a new situation having to actually think is this going to be okay lol.