Options

Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Gordon is an absolute nob head.

I hate pensioners who think they have the right to act like total *****.
  • Options
    jaybsjaybs Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe that Gordon & Margaret feel they won, they are completely deluded, they played a very dirty game.

Channel 4 should have for me stated more for me really why one B&B did no continue, the way she was attacked on the visit to Yorkshire was a disgrace, and I feel that is why she did not continue, though I am sure it did affect her health.

Many of the B&B owners are deluded with the charges they make, and feel they are worth, I will mainly stick with 4 **** Hotel's with first class facilities and service, the market currently it tough and most major Hotels offers are amazing.

When you find a Top B&B and I found one in Whitby stick by them! but it will Never be a visit to Gordon & Margaret thankfully.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon & Margaret, what a pair of desperadoes. They started the week as the cuddly grandparent types, as soon as they had had their turn as hosts, their true colours emerged.
    Hideous. :-(
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 morons think they've really won. I bet their books will say otherwise in 6 months after all the negative feedback they will get from this.

That would be about what they deserve.
    rhumble wrote: »
    I did laugh at Gordon when they announced the winner, you would think he won the lottery not won a B&B competition in which they pretty much cheated to win :D:D

They took it way too seriously and seemed to think winning was a way bigger deal than it probably is, particularly when you portray yourselves like that on national TV. His reaction was plain ridiculous. Horrible people.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,595
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    That would be about what they deserve.

They took it way too seriously and seemed to think winning was a way bigger deal than it probably is, particularly when you portray yourselves like that on national TV. His reaction was plain ridiculous. Horrible people.

They were rubbing it in the others faces.

A shallow win imo.
  • Options
    HumptyDumpyHumptyDumpy Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon is an absolute nob head.

I hate pensioners who think they have the right to act like total *****.

In fairness, you don't need to be a pensioner to be a massive, backstabbing c*nt.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    What a strange week it was with forthright Carole getting upset and then bailing and then the totally OTT reaction from Leanne. They're business people, they should be able to state their case and conduct themselves in a professional and adult way however they feel.
    Shrike wrote: »
    The production team are professionals, the B&Bers are probably on telly for the first time in their lives. From past comments by participants they are likely to say 10 nice things and 1 nasty - no prizes for guessing which comment makes the edit...
    I'm sure that's the case. What I meant is that it's been going on for long enough now. If you hadn't seen the programme you'd surely make some enquiries, get on the internet and see what kind of feedback transpires. There are plenty of participants who are quite canny and use it to their advantage even if they don't necessarily win.

Some of the comments this week were absolutely as a direct result of being told to find things to comment on (see below and also the 'useless knobs')
    Why were there soft toys? ...
    Goodness only knows. Just Margaret's personal preference ^_^
    As an adult I don't want them in my room and they'd know if I was bringing a child. As a parent, I don't want my child playing with someone else's soft toys from goodness knows when.
    Ignorant fool doesn't know who one of the most famous furniture designers in the world is.
    I found that a bit odd. I'd certainly have thought he's a name most people would've come across at some stage. Obviously not. That said the room didn't suggest Mackintosh to me.

Not sure I take the 'not very Scottish' critique though, it's a modern bungalow not a Highland shooting lodge.
    Tongued toilet roll, what a load of nonsense

Here's something for you Send Vote & Comment
    If it was me the 17 year old can play his guitar on another night when the 4IAB people arent there
    I had a feeling that might be the reason,, the price is way too high to justify it, so it can only be done to put people off ordering, for me though it would put me off the whole place

I said as much about the highly priced breakfast before this week.
    The whole 'defence' of The Talbot was a bit odd though to my mind, most particularly the 17 year old asking to play guitar and the fact that Leanne actually commented on how fabulous her cooked breakfast is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the two lads made a huge mistake by not putting TV's in their rooms. If they're in the rooms the guests can make their own decision whether to watch or not - but give them a choice. Just to say "oh we don't want guests watching tv" is very dismissive.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week has been a revelation to me. I have learned much. <nods in a sage, Yoda-like way>

+ Make sure all your knobs have a function (it's not enough for them to answer to the names of Gordon and Margaret)

+ A well-tongued toilet roll (contrary to what is implied :D) is the sign of a clean and hygenic bathroom (bloody halfwits)

+ In a pebble-dashed bungalow* somewhere in Scotland, using a bit of black and white in a bedroom along with a waft of netting above the bed clearly marks it as in the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. No it bloody doesn't. >:( I love CRM, especially his stained glass, and he'd be rolling around in his grave if he knew that people like G & M think they are interpreting his style.

+ But most of all, I had the blinding insight that sheltering in the car on a cold, snowy night with my only facilities a trusty Shewee (I give it a 10) would be vastly preferable to encountering the dead fish-eyed stares of Gordon and Margaret and their fusty, dusty toys. :o

/revelations ;-)

None of the others (though I didn't see Carole's gaff) covered themselves in glory either. They were all very amateurish. The boys and Leanne's pub could have managed the breakfast confusion simply by putting menus in the rooms so people understood what to expect.

And really... a cleaner comes in once a day so room problems aren't dealt with until s/he arrives... and <voice rises shrilly> they think that's a reasonable approach to resolving problems? :confused:

Unless Carole's b&b was particularly lovely, no one deserved to win this week. Generally they were the sorts of places that gives b&bs a bad name. However, I did wonder whether Leanne is a bit fragile. That she can't cope with hostility or confrontation. I was going to make some smartarse remark about her Gleneagles training obviously not preparing her to deal with difficult customers... but perhaps that isn't fair and she simply - for reasons we don't know - found she wasn't up to the robust exchange of views (and two-faced-ness) around the table. In which case they shouldn't have applied, of course, but hindsight isn't available in advance. They were a hypocritical and unrealistic (about their offerings) group generally - boys: you cannot defend stained grout and chipped tiles by pretending they're authentic and in keeping with the age of the property.

* okay, maybe it wasn't a pebble-dashed bungalow... but it aspired to be... :D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    This week has been a revelation to me. I have learned much. <nods in a sage, Yoda-like way>

+ Make sure all your knobs have a function (it's not enough for them to answer to the names of Gordon and Margaret)

+ A well-tongued toilet roll (contrary to what is implied :D) is the sign of a clean and hygenic bathroom (bloody halfwits)

+ In a pebble-dashed bungalow* somewhere in Scotland, using a bit of black and white in a bedroom along with a waft of netting above the bed clearly marks it as in the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. No it bloody doesn't. >:( I love CRM, especially his stained glass, and he'd be rolling around in his grave if he knew that people like G & M think they are interpreting his style.

+ But most of all, I had the blinding insight that sheltering in the car on a cold, snowy night with my only facilities a trusty Shewee (I give it a 10) would be vastly preferable to encountering the dead fish-eyed stares of Gordon and Margaret and their fusty, dusty toys. :o

/revelations ;-)

None of the others (though I didn't see Carole's gaff) covered themselves in glory either. They were all very amateurish. The boys and Leanne's pub could have managed the breakfast confusion simply by putting menus in the rooms so people understood what to expect.

And really... a cleaner comes in once a day so room problems aren't dealt with until s/he arrives... and <voice rises shrilly> they think that's a reasonable approach to resolving problems?

Unless Carole's b&b was particularly lovely, no one deserved to win this week. Generally they were the sorts of places that gives b&bs a bad name. However, I did wonder whether Leanne is a bit fragile. That she can't cope with hostility or confrontation. I was going to make some smartarse remark about her Gleneagles training obviously not preparing her to deal with difficult customers... but perhaps that isn't fair and she simply - for reasons we don't know - found she wasn't up to the robust exchange of views around the table. In which case they shouldn't have applied but hindsight isn't available in advance. They were a hypocritical and unrealistic (about their offerings) group generally - you cannot defend stained grout and chipped tiles.

How do you watch this in Canada? Can you get Channel 4 there?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    Normandie lives in france (i think) and its wolfeheadish who lives in canada...

Oh right. I didn't realise you could get Channel 4 in Canada. Think I'll move there. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

/revelations ;-)

And really... a cleaner comes in once a day so room problems aren't dealt with until s/he arrives... and <voice rises shrilly> they think that's a reasonable approach to resolving problems? :confused:

Unless Carole's b&b was particularly lovely, no one deserved to win this week. Generally they were the sorts of places that gives b&bs a bad name. However, I did wonder whether Leanne is a bit fragile. That she can't cope with hostility or confrontation. I was going to make some smartarse remark about her Gleneagles training obviously not preparing her to deal with difficult customers... but perhaps that isn't fair and she simply - for reasons we don't know - found she wasn't up to the robust exchange of views (and two-faced-ness) around the table. In which case they shouldn't have applied, of course, but hindsight isn't available in advance. They were a hypocritical and unrealistic (about their offerings) group generally - boys: you cannot defend stained grout and chipped tiles by pretending they're authentic and in keeping with the age of the property.

Great post Normandie! I'd agree with pretty much all of that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiagomez is right - well, about me... I'm not sure where Wolfsheadish is. I get the FTA British channels from the Astra satellite (which beams to the Channel Islands and coincidentally covers northern France) via my Humax box (thank you John Lewis). :)

Thank you Torch. :)
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the theory that overcharging for breakfast is a way of putting people off ordering it when all the hot food apart from the eggs was already cooked and waiting on the side in the dining room. So what happens to all the bacon, sausages etc that don't get paid for and eaten? Also I think it was the presence of the hot food alongside the cereals etc that led the whinging Scotsman to ask for clarification about what was included and what was not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I don't understand the theory that overcharging for breakfast is a way of putting people off ordering it when all the hot food apart from the eggs was already cooked and waiting on the side in the dining room.
    Perhaps normally, f/e breakfast is cooked to order. They put out the self-service f/e selection so people could help themselves just for the 4iaB morning - to make breakfast service easier for the two of them to manage.

By the time we got to Thing and Leanne's (can't remember his name), they'd seen G & M making snide remarks about breakfast service at the boys so maybe they adjusted their usual routine to try and avoid Gordon bleating about the unacceptability of a 10 second wait for butter to arrive... but like many knee-jerk decisions, it backfired.
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tongued toilet paper reminded me when I worked in an office where once a month the boss held a compulsory meeting at 0815 (45 mins before paid work started).

He would rant about many matters to over 30 people, including senior staff, crowded into the typing pool, but his best moment was when he woke us all up from our sleep by saying that toilet rolls were facing the wrong way round.

He said the hanging bit should be away from the wall, not next to it. (Or vice versa - I cant really remember or care). We were all dumbstruck to be lectured about this absolute rubbish in our own time until someone broke the silence by cracking 'Well Peter, in our house we leave it on the floor!'

From that day on, people made it their duty to turn the rolls round the opposite way to the way he had said. What a wally.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    For quite some time now I've been of the opinion that if I were a contestant on 4iaB I'd be wary if I was picked to go first as I'd think I was being set up by the production team to be the week's villain :blush: It often makes me wonder why more people don't resist being 'egged on' or encouraged to say things that can be edited to look more cutting than it was meant.

If I were a contestant I'd also be automatically wary of the day one team :p

So silly. They should make a better show on Fridays without all the recaps and let everyone's comments and payments be discussed together. That way they'd stop the stupid tit for tat behaviour.

Has anyone else noticed Leanne's eyes when she's dressed up in the evenings, look to me as though she wears coloured contact lenses. They're very striking whatever it is.

Totally aside it reminds me of a Come Dine With Me episode where one female guest asked another if she wore coloured contacts 'What on earth makes you think that?' she responded. 'I work in an opticians' :cool:
    Think she has very pale eyes and a dark Limbal ring, or maybe too much caffeine.
    I saw that CDWM and thought the girl who worked in an opticians was extremely rude. An actual Optician would never have commented.
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I found this week and especially today's episode sooo depressing :cry::cry::cry:

I need something to restore my faith in humankind... Luckily, lots of spot-on comments here, as usual, which is a consolation.

Is it on next week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    it was your choice of user name that gives it away (for me) ;-)
    :cool:

Occasionally posters have assumed I've named myself after the liner... :o I'm no sylph but I resent any suggestion that I share similarities with an 80,000 tonne ship... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the theory that overcharging for breakfast is a way of putting people off ordering it when all the hot food apart from the eggs was already cooked and waiting on the side in the dining room. So what happens to all the bacon, sausages etc that don't get paid for and eaten? Also I think it was the presence of the hot food alongside the cereals etc that led the whinging Scotsman to ask for clarification about what was included and what was not.

Bacon or sausage sandwiches for lunch? Or maybe there's a very happy dog lurking somewhere in the background. :D Seriously though, its a good point. I hope it doesn't get thrown away, I hate to see food wastage. Unavoidable in big hotels I'd imagine, but it shouldn't be in a small B&B.
    The tongued toilet paper reminded me when I worked in an office where once a month the boss held a compulsory meeting at 0815 (45 mins before paid work started).

He would rant about many matters to over 30 people, including senior staff, crowded into the typing pool, but his best moment was when he woke us all up from our sleep by saying that toilet rolls were facing the wrong way round.

He said the hanging bit should be away from the wall, not next to it. (Or vice versa - I cant really remember or care). We were all dumbstruck to be lectured about this absolute rubbish in our own time until someone broke the silence by cracking 'Well Peter, in our house we leave it on the floor!'

From that day on, people made it their duty to turn the rolls round the opposite way to the way he had said. What a wally.

I hate it when loo rolls are the wrong way round and I always turn them the 'right' way. :blush: Good story though.
    I found this week and especially today's episode sooo depressing :cry::cry::cry:

I need something to restore my faith in humankind... Luckily, lots of spot-on comments here, as usual, which is a consolation.

Is it on next week?

New episodes of 4IAB every day from Monday and a new 3IAB bed on Wednesday at 8pm. It's going to be '...in a bed' overload! :D
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »

I hate it when loo rolls are the wrong way round and I always turn them the 'right' way. :blush:

New episodes of 4IAB every day from Monday and a new 3IAB bed on Wednesday at 8pm. It's going to be '...in a bed' overload! :D

Thanks, Torch. Another loo roll "corrector" here :) I would only consider leaving them the wrong way round if the cats had 'a thing' for loo rolls, to make it more difficult and less tempting for them. Luckily ours don't.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,894
    Forum Member

I expect the production team finished it off. ;-)
    Speaking of the Production team - I wonder who volunteered their blood to be put on the duvet? It was fresh blood as it was very red and had obviously only just been placed there, it goes dry and brown after a while. Production have a lot to answer for, I expect they go around with a bag of straight & curly hairs, 'clean' & dirty dust and now their own blood, I dread to think what is coming next. :o
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

funniest thing I`ve read all week...really made me giggle:D:D
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I wonder if the lovely lady's B&B will be completely discounted then? I suppose it will just be between the three, which is sad as she deserved to win.
    I must be alone in not finding her lovely.
    I find the living up to Yorkshire stereotyping tiresome. Yorrrkshire tea, Yorrrksire bacon, good, honest Yorrrkshire folk. Yorrrkshire bluntness, except when it came to the crunch, she bottled it.
    Her home looked like a retirement facility. I'm all for period furniture but hers was more utility. One thing about her that I did admire was why she started B&B and so pleased it has worked out. I wish, rather than the silly activities, which no B&B owner would provide, that we learned more about their past careers and why they entered the B&B world. Hearing a bit from behind the scenes from Normandie and Solar Sail I really appreciate.
    The two men were wrong in not providing TV. Lone travellers when working especially don't wish to sight see or go to their pub. Would be interesting to hear their occupancy and repeat rate. I am tired of any business person saying, "no one has complained." We don't complain, we just don't re-book or shop with you again.

The pub people are deluded in my opinion. He seemed to be a bit in awe of her. What with her Gleneagles training, (bet G were covering their eyes tonight). £12 for cooked breakfast? The high cost must be covering the wastage of what is left in the heated domes. Cook it fresh and charge £5. By the way, Continental breakfasts are great, I love Brie and olives followed with a pastry, coffee has to be good, but be honest.

Gutted the two spiteful Scots won. Lovely house exterior but yet again old people interior. Why are people of my age so lost in the past?
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Torch. Another loo roll "corrector" here :) I would only consider leaving them the wrong way round if the cats had 'a thing' for loo rolls, to make it more difficult and less tempting for them. Luckily ours don't.

My ex used to like the loo roll hanging one way. I used to like it hanging the other way.

Everytime I went to the loo, I'd have to change it back to the "right way", as he'd changed it to his way when he had been there before me.

Drove me nuts :D
This discussion has been closed.