Options

Esther Rantzen is the Biggest disgrace in showbiz.

Comments

• Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot forgive her for showing me all those phallic vegetables when I was an impressionable youngster.
    I still look in my pants every time I pass a farmers market.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her complicity in Savile's case is unclear. What isn't is that That's Life was populist bilge.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, lots of people had heard the Savile rumours. I heard them 20 years ago. In fact, (my family lived near him), it was well known he 'liked them young' (and worse). Do you think everyone who heard this should be prosecuted?

What do you think the police would do..bearing in mind how many others seemingly got away with it at the time - how many matrons told abused patients to keep quiet, how many care home staff were actively complicit, the average joe (and yes, Esther Rantzen included) would have simply not been listened to. Thank God times have changed.

This doesn't mean she hasn't worked tirelessly for Childline which has helped millions of children and it doesn't mean she isn't a good mother.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    I would say she is certainly hated by the public now no matter what and her dame hood was a bribe to keep her silence or reward her secret coverings.

You don't half talk some rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how much Esther knew, or the rumours she may have heard but. I'm sure most adults always guessed there was something not quite right about Savill. His close friendships with the establishment, his access and authority in SM hospital including the mortuary, his autobiography etc. What I do find strange though is the number of people citing Esthers work on Childline almost as an excuse for any other wrongdoing. This seems to mirror a lot of peoples reaction to Savile immediately after his death when the rumours started up again but before the full of extent ( if we know the full extent even now ) of his crimes.

Anyway OP, Esther's on the Wright Stuff now if you want to phone in and tell her what you think of her. :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say she is certainly hated by the public now no matter what and her dame hood was a bribe to keep her silence or reward her secret coverings.

Esther Rantzen is hated by the public? Not sure about that. I haven't seen many, if any threads in this forum in the past that have slated Esther Rantzen.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, lots of people had heard the Savile rumours. I heard them 20 years ago. In fact, (my family lived near him), it was well known he 'liked them young' (and worse). Do you think everyone who heard this should be prosecuted?

What do you think the police would do..bearing in mind how many others seemingly got away with it at the time - how many matrons told abused patients to keep quiet, how many care home staff were actively complicit, the average joe (and yes, Esther Rantzen included) would have simply not been listened to. Thank God times have changed.

This doesn't mean she hasn't worked tirelessly for Childline which has helped millions of children and it doesn't mean she isn't a good mother.

Hindsight is the easiest thing.

Inevitably, there are many people now emerging from the woodwork with: "Well, of course, I knew all along".

The risk now is of pointing fingers at anyone and everyone simply because they cannot do a thing about the very dead Savile and failed miserably at the time.

The BBC's tactic is to try and pretend he never existed in the first place, i.e. wiping out certain TV programmes from history.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »

The BBC's tactic is to try and pretend he never existed in the first place, i.e. wiping out certain TV programmes from history.

I thought they just were not showing reruns of Top Of The Pops including Savile, not actually destroying archive material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they just were not showing reruns of Top Of The Pops including Savile, not actually destroying archive material.

Exactly. I'd hardly class simply not showing certain Top of the Pops episodes as wiping out history.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's less a case of 'well I knew all along', more 'oh, so the rumours were true, then'.

I believe there's a Channel 5 programme on tonight, though they do tend to be sensational more than sensitive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Op what exactly have you done to help protect children ? I bet nothing. It's very easy to criticize her but at least she has done more than most to protect children. Before you have a go at her, maybe you should ask why the police didn't do anything, why social services didn't do anything, why BBC didn't anything, why his friends didn't do anything.... there's a long list you should go through before you get to her.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hated by the public? no she is hated by you and maybe a few others who go off on such rants rather ill informed ones at that and decide to crucify someone simply because they can . Choosing to lay the blame with someone and lieing about her and inventing facts about someone does not mean they are hated by the public at large, I certainly do not hate the lady.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Hated by the public? no she is hated by you and maybe a few others who go off on such rants rather ill informed ones at that and decide to crucify someone simply because they can . Choosing to lay the blame with someone and lieing about her and inventing facts about someone does not mean they are hated by the public at large, I certainly do not hate the lady.

I don't think I'll ever hate Esther Rantzen because I can't see her doing anything that has a big negative impact on my life. Hate is a word that's so loosely thrown around on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    There is a bit of a difference between Joe public hearing rumours and someone in the position ER was in hearing rumours.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a lot of people from those times that regret not doing anything about Saville but the ultimate fault lies with Saville himself and the authorities paid to protect the public, and that failed to, abysmally.

As for Rantzen being 'hated by the general public' I don't know a. anyone who is interested enough in crusading against her except the poster with a grudge against her and b. hated, really? Can anyone spare the time of day to sit hating Esther Rantzen?
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise_Man wrote: »
    Op what exactly have you done to help protect children ? I bet nothing. It's very easy to criticize her but at least she has done more than most to protect children. Before you have a go at her, maybe you should ask why the police didn't do anything, why social services didn't do anything, why BBC didn't anything, why his friends didn't do anything.... there's a long list you should go through before you get to her.

I genuinely don't understand why people keep trotting this line out.

Joe Public were not privy to the same powerful position that Rantzen was in at the BBC. Desmond Wilcox was second in command to the Director General and must have been privy to Savile's depravity. She, and he, turned a blind eye, as did the authorities - who are all equally as culpable IMHO.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of people knew about Saville and knew he was untouchable. He went for people that were either in the care system, psychiatric patients and people in hospital, who were even semi-concious.....I watched a programme about him on Channel 5, there was on poor bloke who was used for a pedophile ring, where Saville was a special guest, the victims there knew that if anyone told, they would disappear...(If they were care kids, who would look for them)
    If Esther knew anything, she was a woman in the BBC, no matter what, she did not have much of a voice, women and children were rarely believed and the chances are she would have not worked again....Saville, friend of the Thatchers, charity fund raiser, friend to the Prince and Princess of Wales...

Esther did the best thing she could of done for abused children, she gave them a safe place for them to call and maybe for the first time in their lives, talk to someone and be believed. Even in the 80s sexual abuse was not talked about much. It was a dark secret. It was largely thanks to Childline that child abuse got talked about.....She has nothing to apologise for, any more than the victims have who could not speak out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    There will be a lot of people from those times that regret not doing anything about Saville but the ultimate fault lies with Saville himself and the authorities paid to protect the public, and that failed to, abysmally.

As for Rantzen being 'hated by the general public' I don't know a. anyone who is interested enough in crusading against her except the poster with a grudge against her and b. hated, really? Can anyone spare the time of day to sit hating Esther Rantzen?

I agree. Apparently rumours were abounding for about 30 years or more so to pick on one woman to "hate" for not doing anything is really not fair.

Let's not forget, Saville and his cronies were/are to blame for ruining so many young lives and I am sure Esther and her organisation has saved thousands from abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I agree. Apparently rumours were abounding for about 30 years or more so to pick on one woman to "hate" for not doing anything is really not fair.

Let's not forget, Saville and his cronies were/are to blame for ruining so many young lives and I am sure Esther and her organisation has saved thousands from abuse.

Saville was even a special guest when he was invited to pedophile rings....He could do what he liked to the poor children...He was savage, sadistic, cruel and pure evil, and very clever at hiding in plain sight.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else find it a disgrace that Esther Rantzen, the so called child campaigner. clearly knew plenty about Saville and co but didn't say a word. And since this was revealed she has been given both a dame hood and mum of the year. She deserves to be in jail for perverting the course of justice and assisting an offender and striped of all her honours. How she ever can preach about child line while willing allowing child abuse is a disgrace.

That's not perverting the course of justice.

Remaining silent about an issue is not the same. I know some serious criminals around here, but I choose to remain silent on the issues, as it could put my life in danger, if it was discovered I had grassed them up to the police.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need proof, as simple as, not rumours, plus bosses with power, if you haven't.

Janet Street Porter was in the same situation as Esther, she was relatively new to TV, when she heard rumours, she said a few years ago(Question Time I think?)
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The rumours about Saville in the industry (and beyond) were far too well known by too many for anyone to genuinely be able to claim they were certain there was no truth to them. Had people not chosen to ignore them things could of been very different.

Legally not guilty. Morally, not so clear cut IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The rumours about Saville in the industry (and beyond) were far too well known by too many for anyone to genuinely be able to claim they were certain there was no truth to them. Had people not chosen to ignore them things could of been very different.

Legally not guilty. Morally, not so clear cut IMO.

The Prime Minster may have known too and she not only didn't say anything, she was his friend, we now know she knew about Cyril Smith and so did The Sun newspaper...., they had a file but did not do anything to protect those that were being abused. Those victims were used to protect the government and The Sun (who would have also been damaged for withholding any evidence and failing to protect the innocent..)

They all in fact protected the abusers, who had friends in very high places....If someone even attempted to speak out, it could have brought down the government, it would have made The Perfumo affair and Watergate look small, and they are still trying to cover it all up now....back then, it would have risked the lives of the children being abused, and if they found no evidence and if Esther had spoken out, she would have been ruined and most likely her husband too. It was a very dangerous situation. Add a media campaign to discredit the accuser further. And the climate....were getting conviction for child abuse was even harder then, a top lawyer could have destroyed an child that came forward.

Saville lived in the darkest circles of society, he was friends with serial killers, he was a "special guest" invited to parties to rape and molest children (he wasn't fussy, he would go for boys or girls, and older women, teenagers...). While also having friends in very high places, and friendships with Cyril Smith and Gary Glitter.....How much work went into protecting those groups?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    milliejo wrote: »
    The Prime Minster may have known too and she not only didn't say anything, she was his friend, we now know she knew about Cyril Smith and so did The Sun newspaper...., they had a file but did not do anything to protect those that were being abused. Those victims were used to protect the government and The Sun (who would have also been damaged for withholding any evidence and failing to protect the innocent..)

They all in fact protected the abusers, who had friends in very high places....If someone even attempted to speak out, it could have brought down the government, it would have made The Perfumo affair and Watergate look small, and they are still trying to cover it all up now....back then, it would have risked the lives of the children being abused, and if they found no evidence and if Esther had spoken out, she would have been ruined and most likely her husband too. It was a very dangerous situation. Add a media campaign to discredit the accuser further. And the climate....were getting conviction for child abuse was even harder then, a top lawyer could have destroyed an child that came forward.

Saville lived in the darkest circles of society, he was friends with serial killers, he was a "special guest" invited to parties to rape and molest children (he wasn't fussy, he would go for boys or girls, and older women, teenagers...). While also having friends in very high places, and friendships with Cyril Smith and Gary Glitter.....How much work went into protecting those groups?

The Perfumo affair. LMAO. You mean the Profumo affair.

Most politicians are only there to serve themselves, whatever it takes, and they'll try to cover up as much as they can, be it personal life scandals, pedophile rings, financial corruption etc. We've had countless cases of this happening, like Cherie Blair, Peter Mandelson, Jeffery Archer etc. IMO, they are just well paid scumbags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profumo_affair

And what we (as the general population) find out IMO, is just the tip of the iceberg.