Options

Madonna - Rebel Heart

Comments

• Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Well, I would happily buy two more versions of the album if a facebook page was set up urging every Madonna fan to buy a copy. I can keep one as a spare and give one away as a gift. If the momentum can be kept going then there's no reason why she can't be number 1 next week. Who is good at setting up facebook appeals?

I don't like the sound of that, bit desperate.

Why all the focus on chart positions and sales anyway? she's proved herself time and time again.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her first album of original material to not go to number one in over 20 years.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I don't like the sound of that, bit desperate.

Why all the focus on chart positions and sales anyway? she's proved herself time and time again.

Because without support from Radio and the failure to score success with singles, it's up to us fans to ensure she remains relevant. I don't think that's desperate at all. The fans really screwed this era up for her. Someone leaked all her songs, we all listened to the leaks, complained that she altered some demo versions on the final cut and many didn't even buy the album but still expect her to make new material! We owe her.
  • Options
    kylie_madonnakylie_madonna Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Is this Madonna's lowest selling album so far or is that still mdna I'm not too sure U c?
  • Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    In Sam Smith's defence, surely his success is something we should all be happy about? I know that we were all really hoping for Madonna to get the number 1, but Sam Smith's a gay artist singing about gay themes, which from the first week it was released he was open about. So him being able to express himself, I would like to think, is at least in part, down to Madonna's legacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this Madonna's lowest selling album so far or is that still mdna I'm not too sure U c?

No, it's Rebel Heart. However, it will still probably sell around 2m copies worldwide ultimately. Which is on par with MDNA.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Sam Smith's defence, surely his success is something we should all be happy about? I know that we were all really hoping for Madonna to get the number 1, but Sam Smith's a gay artist singing about gay themes, which from the first week it was released he was open about. So him being able to express himself, I would like to think, is at least in part, down to Madonna's legacy.
    I'm not bitter at all. I'm happy for him. Those sales a year after release are amazing!

I would have liked Madonna to get her 12th number 1 and take that chart record but she will do it eventually anyway. No one else is in any danger of catching her up just yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, he's making himself out to be a victim. Madonna has never encouraged that. I don't think he is overly popular amongst gay men, hence why he was given as a Mother's Day gift.
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken from twitter so can't account for validity:

"@JuanJavierSade:
    #RebelHeart debuts
    #1 Australia
    #1 Israel
    #1 Netherlands
    #2 UK
    #2 Finland
    #3 France
    #5 Ireland
    #7 New Zealand
    #10 Sweden
    @Madonna
    @guyoseary"
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Shame she missed out on #1, but never mind. I absolutely love the album and that's the main thing. It's Her best since American Life, and one that won't leave my CD player for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, he's making himself out to be a victim. Madonna has never encouraged that. I don't think he is overly popular amongst gay men, hence why he was given as a Mother's Day gift.

Mother's Day (and Comic Relief) was the case this week, I think his sales come from a broad spectrum of people, as did Madonna's at one point.

I just think we can appreciate Madonna without having to criticise Sam Smith. After all, part of Madonna's message is love and overcoming division.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mother's Day (and Comic Relief) was the case this week, I think his sales come from a broad spectrum of people, as did Madonna's at one point.

I just think we can appreciate Madonna without having to criticise Sam Smith. After all, part of Madonna's message is love and overcoming division.

Who's criticising him? I stated an opinion and asked a question. I said that he makes himself out to be a victim, he does. I asked as to why he is good because I'm curious. He drones like Celine Dion, but people consider himself good. I'm confused as to why. Adele? Tick. Absolutely talented and has a great voice. Ed Sheeran? Tick. His music taste is not for me, but my goodness he's talented. George Ezra? Tick. He has a unique voice and a unique singing style. Can totally understand his popularity. But Sam Smith? :confused:

Madonna also urges people to be true to themselves and be honest. I'm being as such with my viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who's criticising him? I stated an opinion and asked a question. I said that he makes himself out to be a victim, he does. I asked as to why he is good because I'm curious. He drones like Celine Dion, but people consider himself good. I'm confused as to why. Adele? Tick. Absolutely talented and has a great voice. Ed Sheeran? Tick. His music taste is not for me, but my goodness he's talented. George Ezra? Tick. He has a unique voice and a unique singing style. Can totally understand his popularity. But Sam Smith? :confused:

Madonna also urges people to be true to themselves and be honest. I'm being as such with my viewpoint.

For me Sam Smith is an impressive vocalist and his album is very cohesive with a solid concept. And for the record I am a big fan of Celine Dion as well, even going as far to buy her french albums, so this might explain why our tastes differ here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Shame she missed out on #1, but never mind. I absolutely love the album and that's the main thing. It's Her best since American Life, and one that won't leave my CD player for a while.

Agree. I remember after Mariah released E=MC² it basically flopped but I really think its one of the best albums she ever did.

I feel the same way about Rebel Heart. Besides I want to see how this weeks sales go first. It has risen on every UK sales chart today following Jonathan Ross so maybe she will sell steady all week. I don't know if she will rise and go up to one but hopefully she will stay top 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Sam Smith is an impressive vocalist and his album is very cohesive with a solid concept. And for the record I am a big fan of Celine Dion as well, even going as far to buy her french albums, so this might explain why our tastes differ here!

You're the first person to tell me why they like Sam Smith. Cheers for that. I used to be a fan of Celine Dion. I adore her Falling Into You and Let's Talk About Love albums but felt after A New Day she tried too hard to be different. I liked One Heart too but it had two tracks on it from A New Day (admittedly one was a balladised version). I really hate her latest offering. It gives me a headache.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be some pretty underwhelmed mothers today who were hoping for a lovely bunch of flowers, a meal out and a nice box of chocolates and they got Sam Smith instead! My mum would have said "What did you get me that for?" :D
    AdzPower wrote: »
    As for Sam Smith, I don't know what to say, it's funny I was in sainsbury's the other day and me and my mum were in the entertainment section, we noticed a display of Smith CD's and she told me if I got her one of those for mothers day she'd burn it LOL.
    This time next year no one will know who Sam Smith is, he's the latest fad, the Sande of 2014/15, soon he will be gone and no one will remember him, but people will ALWAYS remember Madonna.

THIS is why I will never respect a lot of Madonna's fans. You are so bitter and entitled. Just because Sam Smith has beaten her to #1 you’ve suddenly decided to crap all over his success. How do you know if he’s going to last or not? No one knows that. How can you call Emeli Sandé a fad? She hasn’t actually followed up her debut album yet. People called Madonna a fad back in the 1980s. If anyone's fan base should let singers prove themselves, it's Madonna's. Quit acting so butthurt. Deal with the fact that Madonna hasn't hit #1 this week despite her album being sold at a reduced price. Entering at #2 isn't exactly bad. She might climb next week due to Jonathan Ross.
    Well, I would happily buy two more versions of the album if a facebook page was set up urging every Madonna fan to buy a copy. I can keep one as a spare and give one away as a gift. If the momentum can be kept going then there's no reason why she can't be number 1 next week. Who is good at setting up facebook appeals?

Is a #1 THAT important? It’s as sad as the non-fans urging people to buy copies of Sam Smith’s album. Some of you are way too old to be drama queening over a pop stars latest release. Admittedly, I've gone overboard in the past with my posts about why I don’t like Madonna, and I don’t intend to do it anymore. I'm just glad I'm a guy in my early 20s and not a guy nearing middle age who is throwing a strop just because his favourite singer hasn't topped the charts.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    THIS is why I will never respect a lot of Madonna's fans. You are so bitter and entitled. Just because Sam Smith has beaten her to #1 you’ve suddenly decided to crap all over his success. How do you know if he’s going to last or not? No one knows that. How can you call Emeli Sandé a fad? She hasn’t actually followed up her debut album yet. People called Madonna a fad back in the 1980s. If anyone's fan base should let singers prove themselves, it's Madonna's. Quit acting so butthurt. Deal with the fact that Madonna hasn't hit #1 this week despite her album being sold at a reduced price. Entering at #2 isn't exactly bad. She might climb next week due to Jonathan Ross.

Is a #1 THAT important? It’s as sad as the non-fans urging people to buy copies of Sam Smith’s album. Some of you are way too old to be drama queening over a pop stars latest release. Admittedly, I've gone overboard in the past with my posts about why I don’t like Madonna, and I don’t intend to do it anymore. I'm just glad I'm a guy in my early 20s and not a guy nearing middle age who is throwing a strop just because his favourite singer hasn't topped the charts.

I'm only 22 years old thank you very much, maybe I was too harsh before, but I was purely expressing my personal opinion, I think Sam Smith is a fad that will fade into obscurity soon enough, that's not a guaranteed thing, I can't see the future, I don't know if he will or will not be around in ten years time, it's just my opinion.
    I'm willing to bet that he will go away for 3/4 years, then come back with an album that flops, again, just a guess, and I'm basing that off of several UK singers in the past that this has happened too such as Duffy, Katy B and Cheryl Cole.
    I don't like him, he's pretentious, acts persecuted and plays the victim, again, my opinion. I have every right to not like Sam Smith just like you have every right to not like Madonna, I don't care if others like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »

No one is asking you to show respect to Madonna fans. Of course we're disappointed, this era has been terrible for all the wrong reasons. I am entitled to say what I think about Sam Smith as much as you've been vocal about your views on Madonna. I have asked why Sam Smith is popular, that is perfectly fine. I also made a relevant observation, that he got success by being a victim and pleading with the public to understand him because of a terrible end to a relationship with his boyfriend and how he would long for a new boyfriend who treats him well. Not my words, his. It's cringeworthy and therefore to think that he has sold many records this past few days because his record company threw money at Supermarkets and so on to put his record virtually everywhere where Mother's day was being promoted is a little annoying. I'm not bitter that Madonna didn't get to number 1. I'm angry because her record company didn't actually do anything this week to promote her.

If it was a normal week where comic relief hadn't taken place or Mother's Day occurred, then I have no doubt that Madonna would be number one.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Sam Smith is a nice singer and although he isn't my cup of tea he's young and getting a number one album is good as the industry is very fickle and he might not get another one.

Madonna on the other hand has had quite a few and a number two at her age is good going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little consolation:

She is number 1 in the UK digital charts:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-downloads-chart/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a number two at her age is good going.

Oh, believe me retro, a number two at any age is good going! Infact it's essential! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little consolation:

She is number 1 in the UK digital charts:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-downloads-chart/

I think Rebel Heart is set to have a good second weeks worth of sales thanks to her Jonathan Ross interview. I'm actually quite positive about this despite being gutted she hasn't made her 12th number #1 album yet but I just know she will get it eventually so I'm not going to dwell on it because I also have a feeling Rebel Heart will stick around longer than MDNA did.

I do worry about how many sales that standard edition has cost her. I do think its been a big factor. A lot of people will have been looking for, or wanting the buy the album with the grey cover. Not the Blonde Ambition one. I think 3 versions of the album has caused more harm than good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I'm only 22 years old thank you very much, maybe I was too harsh before, but I was purely expressing my personal opinion, I think Sam Smith is a fad that will fade into obscurity soon enough, that's not a guaranteed thing, I can't see the future, I don't know if he will or will not be around in ten years time, it's just my opinion.
    I'm willing to bet that he will go away for 3/4 years, then come back with an album that flops, again, just a guess, and I'm basing that off of several UK singers in the past that this has happened too such as Duffy, Katy B and Cheryl Cole.
    I don't like him, he's pretentious, acts persecuted and plays the victim, again, my opinion. I have every right to not like Sam Smith just like you have every right to not like Madonna, I don't care if others like him.

Well said!! I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of the same few users coming into Madonna threads on here and branding us all the names under the sun just because they dislike her so much they are obsessed with everything we say and do. It makes them hypocrites and stalkerish!!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said!! I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of the same few users coming into Madonna threads on here and branding us all the names under the sun just because they dislike her so much they are obsessed with everything we say and do. It makes them hypocrites and stalkerish!!

There you go again, this is not a Madonna thread, that is what your appreciation forum is for, this thread is in a general music discussion, which means everything is fair game....just give back as good as you get, and don't expect all posts to be praise in a general thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    There you go again, this is not a Madonna thread, that is what your appreciation forum is for, this thread is in a general music discussion, which means everything is fair game....just give back as good as you get, and don't expect all posts to be praise in a general thread.

This thread is about Madonna's album. For that anyone coming in to attack Madonna ''fans'' over their views is derailing the topic. Which if I'm not mistaken is actually against the terms of forum use.