Options

Neighbour stole my mug

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Yesterday my neighbour and I were out in the garden doing some spring tidying, and I made her a coffee (we were just chatting over the fence) and I passed her coffee to her over the fence. She was sipping away and clearing weeds, and then it started to spit (what we call light rain) so she took the rest of her coffee inside and I haven't seen or heard from her since.

I know it might sound trivial but I don't know her that well, and I feel like if I go and ask for it back it might come across as cheeky, or, me a little OCD. If it was a mug I'd got from Tesco for £1.50 I might just leave it, but the mug is from an expensive set I got from Denby.

How long would you wait before paying her a visit? How would you word it so it didn't come across like I was accusing her of theft, or, come across like I am a loser. She has a daughter who visits her at weekends, and shes quite nice, :blush: I'd hate to give out the wrong impression.

Comments

• Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go round and ask her for a mug of sugar
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you having a laugh.....

Just get your jacksie round there and and ask for it....
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go round and say i've come for my Mug '',i wouldn't have bothered but it's part of a set''.. if you want an excuse of why you're asking for it back
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she dropped it and she can't bring herself to tell you. Or her husband washed it and put it away and she doesn't realise. Lots of possibilities. Just go and ask for it and apologise for not going sooner. (An apology always puts people off their guard.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't take any exception to you asking for it back. It's your property.

Find out when she goes out, or just happen to be in the same place at the same time.

Offer her another cup of the good stuff. Then straight out the blue come back out the kitchen and say something like "Oh, silly me. Did I by any chance leave a mug round your house the other day? I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on". The inference being you a) need that 'special' mug for guests, and b) you're blaming yourself for the loss, not anyone else.

I think any decent neighbour wouldn't mind at all :) I wouldn't mind a cup of coffee right now but my cat has decided I am her cushion for the night so...
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah..... the wonderful world of woman's self created drama.

Knock on door, "Hello good neighbour I am here to get my mug back". "Oh yes" says the neighbour "I took it inside when it started to rain." "That's right you did" you laugh.

Retrieve mug and congratulate yourself on another complicated obstacle in woman's arduous journey through overcome with wit and guile.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just don't know how to do confrontation in a subtle way. I don't mean confrontation in a nasty way, just how to ask for property back if you're not a cheeky person.

For another option on how to ask, I'd say to her "I can't find one of my mugs - a part of a set - and the last time I remember seeing it was when you were gardening. Can you remember what I did with it?"

Perhaps you could tell her the set means a lot to you, or something. Good luck.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though it's one of a set, are you sure you can't live without for the time being? She'll probably return it in her own good time, people have busy lives and get distracted, to return a mug is not the same as returning a lawn-mower. For you to go round and ask for your mug back makes it look like you begrudge making her a cup of coffee in the first place. Next time use an old mug.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

Knock on door, "Hello good neighbour I am here to get my mug back". "Oh yes" says the neighbour "I took it inside when it started to rain." "That's right you did" you laugh.

Retrieve mug and congratulate yourself on another complicated obstacle in woman's arduous journey through overcome with wit and guile.

Excellent Coronation Street material but you might want to take a little more care with regard to gender.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The op is male...

edit - see I was beaten to it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    Some people just don't know how to do confrontation in a subtle way. I don't mean confrontation in a nasty way ...

You might want to try a different word then.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a day, giver her chance she might have a life to get on with rather than worrying about a mug being returned.

Maybe she was planning you a coffee next weekend.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Excellent Coronation Street material but you might want to take a little more care with regard to gender.

The OP can't be a man surely? I would be shocked if that was the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OP can't be a man surely?

I'm male too so please don't call me "Surely".
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member

Well if you're shocked out of your sexist stereo typing then it's all good :cool: It says male on the OP's profile.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday my neighbour and I were out in the garden doing some spring tidying, and I made her a coffee (we were just chatting over the fence) and I passed her coffee to her over the fence. She was sipping away and clearing weeds, and then it started to spit (what we call light rain) so she took the rest of her coffee inside and I haven't seen or heard from her since.

I know it might sound trivial but I don't know her that well, and I feel like if I go and ask for it back it might come across as cheeky, or, me a little OCD. If it was a mug I'd got from Tesco for £1.50 I might just leave it, but the mug is from an expensive set I got from Denby.

How long would you wait before paying her a visit? How would you word it so it didn't come across like I was accusing her of theft, or, come across like I am a loser. She has a daughter who visits her at weekends, and shes quite nice, :blush: I'd hate to give out the wrong impression.

You're 33 years old FFS!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Fraid so :)
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First world problems......

There is only one plan of action - REVENGE. Get planning....
  • Options
    PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a storyline they would have in 'Neighbours'
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would a male be worried about the mug being part of a set? Come to think of it, why would a male buy a set of mugs in the first place?
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Why on earth would a male be worried about the mug being part of a set? Come to think of it, why would a male buy a set of mugs in the first place?

Sexist.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should get a mug shot and place it on trees and lampposts
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Ram-raid the thieving bitch's house now. Sorted.

:)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this exact scenario was in a Radio 4 play I heard the other week
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Ram-raid the thieving bitch's house now. Sorted.

:)
    Only a mug would be that stupid.