Options

Neighbours 30th anniversary special flops in Australia

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,278
Forum Member
Only 429,000 simulcast across two channels, which failed to crack the top 20 shows of the night.

Ouch.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhh :(
  • Options
    H.MH.M Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Not really surprising.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised they even broadcast it on Ten to be honest. If it wasn't for the UK audience, Neighbours would have been axed many moons ago. To be fair, it did get double its normal audience which is an achievement for any show. Good to see H&A riding high tho!
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    I'm surprised they even broadcast it on Ten to be honest. If it wasn't for the UK audience, Neighbours would have been axed many moons ago. To be fair, it did get double its normal audience which is an achievement for any show. Good to see H&A riding high tho!

I don't understand why H & A is popular than Neighbours! It's crap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »

It wouldn't be as profitable on Eleven.

If the special had aired on Eleven exclusively on Eleven, it would have rated lower than regular Neighbours episodes (sub-250k).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »

Home and Away is popular because it airs on the dominant TV network at a time when a large number of people are watching TV. Seven always gains high ratings for its news-hour between 6-7pm, which feeds viewers directly into Home and Away. For as long as Seven News remains a high rating platform, H&A will always achieve high ratings.

Home and Away on Ten = Between 600,000 and 700,000 viewers.

Home and Away on a digital channel = about half of what it currently gets on Seven.

As for Neighbours, it is completely off the radar of mainstream Australia.

Neighbours on Ten = double what it currently gets on Eleven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours itself flops in Australia so why would a Neighbours special be any different?
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am gutted for the show. It won't be long until Neighbours gets axed.:( I hate seeing shows, which started years ago, getting the axe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Home And Away has some good storylines in the UK, with Maddy's cancer and Phoebe's stalking plot. I do not know what is going on with the show in Aus at the moment though. I am not a huge fan of Phoebe, but her storyline is good.
  • Options
    Towie1977Towie1977 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame. Neighbours is so much better than H&A yet it gets such shoddy treatment down under.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I would have been more surprised if it had rated well. Aussie's have moved on, and most don't even realize it's still being produced, so a reunion show is hardly likely to light up the ratings. Ten haven't aired Neighbours on the main channel since 2010, so it was a very strange choice to air the reunion show on their main channel.

Plus, a drop in viewers on Eleven could be attributed to the reunion show not following straight after Neighbours. I guess Ten didn't want to go up against H&A, but by doing so, they may have lost some viewers due to the time gap.

On the plus side, the regular episode of Neighbours topped the multi-channels with 283,000.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    It will do better in the UK, that's where the majority of Neighbours fans are. The opposite can be said for Home and Away :confused:
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I am gutted for the show. It won't be long until Neighbours gets axed.:( I hate seeing shows, which started years ago, getting the axe.

The UK following is huge so it won't be axed..
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member

Crap? I'd disagree has the show seen better times? absolutely! When I compare the two shows it's pretty clear that both shows just have different styles. So maybe for some people Home and Away is a better shout because it is more gritty, gripping at times, sensationalist, heavy drama plus the scenery itself sets it apart from the rest alone. Whereas, Neighbours as a soap should do aims to explore my day to day story lines in a more realistic way, reflects a better sense of communtity, family, friends relationships, more lightweight, a bit cheesy at times etc.

Different strokes for different folks
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crap? I'd disagree has the show seen better times? absolutely! When I compare the two shows it's pretty clear that both shows just have different styles. So maybe for some people Home and Away is a better shout because it is more gritty, gripping at times, sensationalist, heavy drama plus the scenery itself sets it apart from the rest alone. Whereas, Neighbours as a soap should do aims to explore my day to day story lines in a more realistic way, reflects a better sense of communtity, family, friends relationships, more lightweight, a bit cheesy at times etc.

Exactly. I used to prefer Neighbours but have given up on it completely. Home and Away usually has characters which I really like. Neighbours has always struggled to make characters I care about. The sets looks so cheap as well compared to Home and Away.

I can't even bring myself to watch the anniversary episodes which saddens me really as to how much I've gone off it. I don't think it will get axed, unless Channel 5 withdraws its support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »

Neighbours will not be axed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Towie1977 wrote: »
    It's a shame. Neighbours is so much better than H&A yet it gets such shoddy treatment down under.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Exactly. I used to prefer Neighbours but have given up on it completely. Home and Away usually has characters which I really like. Neighbours has always struggled to make characters I care about. The sets looks so cheap as well compared to Home and Away.

I can't even bring myself to watch the anniversary episodes which saddens me really as to how much I've gone off it. I don't think it will get axed, unless Channel 5 withdraws its support.

I like both. For me, Home And away is the most gripping with the serious storylines and also has the lovely scenery. Neighbours is more light hearted with their stories, but has a good community feel to it. I dislike and like certain characters in both soaps. I hope both continue to go on as long as they can. I would definitely miss them if they were not on the TV:)
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member

Home & Away is unrealistic.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The population is low anyway in Australia so no big deal! Lol
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H&A is a joke and the plots are far too OTT.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    H&A is a joke and the plots are far too OTT.

And the characters are boring and unlikeable. Neighbours has much better characters in comparison.
  • Options
    gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny was so cute
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home & away won't get this good treatment when' it's their anniversary
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gaz141 wrote: »
    Danny was so cute

The actors now in prison for beating up his wife.