Options

Settling for a mediocre partner - is it justified?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The question is fairy obvious but I wonder also if people change their mind as they get older. Perhaps in your 20s you're looking for someone special but if you're still single when you are much older you tend to forget about love and find someone so you don't end up lonely and maybe childless. As much as I'm sure it happens I wonder if people are actually prepared to admit it?

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is fairy obvious but I wonder also if people change their mind as they get older. Perhaps in your 20s you're looking for someone special but if you're still single when you are much older you tend to forget about love and find someone so you don't end up lonely and maybe childless. As much as I'm sure it happens I wonder if people are actually prepared to admit it?

I doubt it.

Although divorce among the old is much more common now.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Define "mediocre" in this context.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I made do in my late teens, twenties just so I wasn't 'alone'. Much rather remain a single old spinstery crazy cat lady than settle for anyone for the sake of it again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

Anyone who doesn't have the looks or brains of Rachel Riley probably.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

I suppose someone who doesn't inspire any passion, someone who you aren't particularly attracted to. Just a fairly ordinary person. I assume most people don't fall head over heels with most of the people of the opposite sex that they meet. It wouldn't really work that way, we have to be discriminating. So I mean mediocre in the sense of the sort of person you wouldn't have considered when you were younger but yoou would now, purely because you think your options are running out.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women don't have to settle for mediocre if they don't want to - provided that their 'perfect man' checklist isn't too extensive. Even average women can ensnare a decent guy. Men below either good-looking status or six-figure incomes often need to settle for 'mediocrity'.

Don't forget, many women will spend their 20s on the cock carousel and when the looks fade, and the clock starts ticking, they realise they need a beta-provider pronto. The bad boys often don't offer the same financial long-term security as Mr. Average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who doesn't have the looks or brains of Rachel Riley probably.

Well mediocre to one, might be great for another.

It's human beings we're talking about. If they're otherwise a good egg, why the hell should they be referred to as "mediocre"?

If they're not decent, then they're best avoided. But using a term like "mediocre" is just patronising and insulting.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you don't tell your significant other that you think they're mediocre, haha. Unless it's a mutual mediocre affair and they think the same of you.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never settle with someone who I thought was just average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose someone who doesn't inspire any passion, someone who you aren't particularly attracted to. Just a fairly ordinary person. I assume most people don't fall head over heels with most of the people of the opposite sex that they meet. It wouldn't really work that way, we have to be discriminating. So I mean mediocre in the sense of the sort of person you wouldn't have considered when you were younger but yoou would now, purely because you think your options are running out.

Well I'd never think in those terms about anybody - and if I got the slightest inkling that's what they were thinking about me, I'd drop them like a bad habit.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    My wife has never regretted it.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women don't have to settle for mediocre if they don't want to - provided that their 'perfect man' checklist isn't too extensive. Even average women can ensnare a decent guy. Men below either good-looking status or six-figure incomes often need to settle for 'mediocrity'.

Don't forget, many women will spend their 20s on the cock carousel and when the looks fade, and the clock starts ticking, they realise they need a beta-provider pronto. The bad boys often don't offer the same financial long-term security as Mr. Average.

Badboys make a lot of money, look at guys like 50 cent, Richard Blackwood, Phil Mitchell and Mike Joyce. All are proper badboys and all make a lot of money.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Some mediocre posts in this thread...
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Richard Blackwood has been proper bad in everything I've seen him in...
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or a moose?
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankfully we don't live in the 1950s anymore, and women can be as financially secure as men, I mean really.... *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've heard people talk about 'settling' in this same sense - is women in their 40's justifying to themselves why they never married or had children.

Along the lines of: 'I wasn't prepared to settle like so many other women do"

It's usually followed by - 'of course, I could have settled'

My point is, it's usually a way a certain type of single person claims some high ground.

But most relationships, marriage or otherwise, are usually about some form of settlement or acceptance. It's not necessarily about looks - they change over time anyway - it's more - can we get on?

I wouldn't believe any one who said their relationship didn't involve putting up with some shit. But successful ones find a level of shit they can live with, and succeed despite that.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Aww...nobody settled for you yet then?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of pathetic, poor poor me rubbish.

You really do need to get out more and mix with a broader and better class of people. And also steer clear of the 'many women' who, as you so delightfully put it, 'spend their 20s on the cock carousel' - whatever that is.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you are after the impossible dream.:)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    What a load of pathetic, poor poor me rubbish.

You really do need to get out more and mix with a broader and better class of people. And also steer clear of the 'many women' who, as you so delightfully put it, 'spend their 20s on the cock carousel' - whatever that is.

This? Cock Carousel

You'd think they'd get dizzy after a few years, wouldn't you?

:D
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    Or a moose?

Oi :(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a good idea to start a sexual relationship.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Badboys make a lot of money, look at guys like 50 cent, Richard Blackwood, Phil Mitchell and Mike Joyce. All are proper badboys and all make a lot of money.
    I do miss Mike Joyce. :cry: He was my favourite misogynist.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my wife spent her 20s on the cock carousel, she really did..

this poster is spot on....regarding six figures .well maybe not but she was on the greedy side so bigger and better..

not that he is, hes a bit of a tosser really

peace