Options

"the bible is wrong"

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just googling 'religious quotes' when I found this website, this does kinda change everything doesn't it? I never thought about it all like this before:
The difference between evolution and Creationism is that evolution is real and Creationism is not real. Creationism is based on the Bible that says that God created the world in 6 days about 10,000 years ago. Clearly the world was not created in 6 days about 10,000 years ago, so therefore the Bible is just plain wrong. If the world were merely 10,000 years old then how do you explain the dinosaurs that are millions of years old? We've discovered life fossils that date back billions of years. Even the skeletons of modern humans date back before the time of Adam and Eve.

If we were to believe the Bible, then we would have to believe the Earth was created before the stars, which is the wrong order. If the stars were created 10,000 years ago, we wouldn't be able to see stars that are more than 10,000 light years away. That's because if a star was further away than 10,000 light years, the light from that star wouldn't have got here yet. Our galaxy alone is about 100,000 light years across. If the Bible were true, we wouldn't be able to see but 1/10th the way across our own galaxy. We surely wouldn't be able to see other galaxies or galactic clusters or know that the universe is expanding.

Our modern technology has proved the Bible wrong. That means that if there is a God, he didn't write the Bible and the Bible is not his word. If the Bible were the word of God and the Bible is wrong, then God is wrong. And if God can't be wrong, then the Bible, which is wrong, can't be the word of God.

Men who lived thousands of years ago wrote the Bible. The authors had limited knowledge of the nature of the universe and wrote the Bible based on what they believed at the time. They didn't know the Earth was round and that it orbited the Sun, which is a star among billions of stars in the galaxy, which is but one galaxy in billions of galaxies that have existed for billions of years. To them, the world was flat. There was up and there was down and God lived in the sky. They didn't know the world was round and there was no such thing as "up". They didn't know that the sky was a thin layer of gas that surrounds the surface of this planet. We have been to the sky and we have been above the sky and God isn't living there.

http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/evolution/evolution/the_bible_is_wrong.html

Comments

• Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't really change anything that most people already know. Even in Catholic High School, 30 years ago, we were taught that Creationism is scientifically unsound and the Bible is largely metaphor.

ETA: Doesn't mean I completely refute the concept of some kind of 'God', but I would imagine that it is nothing even close to how we conceptualize it.
    Main message I take from the Bible is to just try and respect yourself and each other, live a decent life and, if you're lucky enough not to have been born into abject disaster, be glad of what you have and the gift of living itself, because it's all too short. We're human; we often screw up but, for the most part, our screw-ups are part of the human condition and not irredeemable. There again, in order to get through life reasonably amicably, did I need the Bible to teach that to me?

I like to keep it simple and leave the wrangling to the theologians, scientists and academics.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I was just googling 'religious quotes' when I found this website, this does kinda change everything doesn't it? I never thought about it all like this before:

You mean previously you believed all what is said in it?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's all just general knowledge that we all should know op. Which bit haven't you heard before?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek

the thing is

Rule 1. The bible is right.
    In the event of the bible being wrong, rule 1 applies

Anyway, the days were probably metaphorical days, although clearly God could have easily used 6 of your Earth days, and left the interesting paradox you mention behind. That might have appealed to His sense of humour.

that's what you can do when you are both omnipotent and ineffable
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I want to know what is real and what is not. Unless neither are

I mean, I am a human (of course) but how the f*ck did I get here (and no I don't mean the scientific way :D) I mean like how, as humans did we get here!?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10,000 years ago? I thought people who believe/strictly believe the Bible believe that Earth is only 6,000 years old?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    10,000 years ago? I thought people who believe/strictly believe the Bible believe that Earth is only 6,000 years old?

See, they can't even agree on that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I mean, I am a human (of course) but how the f*ck did I get here (and no I don't mean the scientific way :D) I mean like how, as humans did we get here!?

We evolved over millions of years from other creatures. Again I thought that was common knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek

the thing is

Anyway, the days were probably metaphorical days, although clearly God could have easily used 6 of your Earth days, and left the interesting paradox you mention behind. That might have appealed to His sense of humour.

The bible is fiction.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Evolution. :p
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure that proves anything at all.

Although unlikely, it's quite possible to come up with a Creationist theory where everything was created 5 minutes ago, including the entire population of the earth complete with all our memories, all the dinosaur fossils, plus all the stars with the light from them already on its way.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intelligent civilization began about 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Maybe the bible genesis is talking about the beginning of mans era and wasn't talking about the origins of the universe.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Evolution. :p

Which explains about 0.01% of it (more like 0.0001% IMO). Sure, once you already have a species, with everthing necessary for life and the means of propagating that species already in place, then evolution can come into play. But the hard work has already been done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intelligent civilization began about 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Maybe the bible genesis is talking about the beginning of mans era and wasn't talking about the origins of the universe.

What about Atlantis and Lemuria?

Some say we were more advanced in Atlantean times but lost it due to being bad/naughty/evil,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Which explains about 0.01% of it (more like 0.0001% IMO). Sure, once you already have a species, with everthing necessary for life and the means of propagating that species already in place, then evolution can come into play. But the hard work has already been done!

If one accepts evolution, then one should think about not just this planet, but others too IMO.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some say we were more advanced in Atlantean times but lost it due to being bad/naughty/evil,

Huh? What do you mean Atalntis was lost due to being naughty?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Google it. ;-)
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think you're in minority there, as others have said, this is all common knowledge.

Some religious people still believe in creationism, but even the Pope now accepts evolution (although I'm not convinced he knows exactly what evolution is)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google it. ;-)

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=atlantis+lost+due+to+being+naughty&start=10

Still dont get it. Any particular result I should read here?
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

may be the world was advanced until [URL="Family guy irish history museum: https://youtu.be/J6TwaZ55bqw"]the discovery of alcohol[/URL]
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

atlantis left earth
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the Universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans, that they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria, or Atlantis.

Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive—somewhere beyond the heavens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=atlantis+lost+due+to+being+naughty&start=10

Still dont get it. Any particular result I should read here?

:D:D:D

Sorry, you need to look up the history of Atlantis which will take you to many sites of which could have you busy for months. It depends on how curious you are and serious.

I love how you put the term "naughty" into your search. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Sorry, you need to look up the history of Atlantis which will take you to many sites of which could have you busy for months. It depends on how curious you are and serious.

I love how you put the term "naughty" into your search. :D

:D
    This kind of thing?
    http://www.aetherius.org/the-mother-earth/atlantis-lemuria-maldek/
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Derek

the thing is

That's one of the sillier things that the Bible propounds. A bit like this "created man in his own image" shtick.

F'rinstance..... If God is perfect and created man in his own image, then he must have all the same bodily features as any human being and being perfect, humankind must be the ultimate design for a living entity.

But when man wanted to create a means of travelling long distances quickly and with minimum effort, he invented the wheel, which looks nothing like a leg.

This is the sort of thing that makes the Bible absurd and non-believable.