Options

Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegraph reporting that Chris Evans will get Clarksons job. C**p.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's actually a natural choice really. Petrol head.. has a huge collection of cars.. has years of presenting experience.. interviews celebrities who often then appear on Top Gear as part of the BBC interview rounds they do.. he's a little unpredictable but not as unpredictable as Clarkson. He'd be a good choice.

Question is however.. will Hammond and May remain with the show.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodnight, Top Gear.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be worse but I won't be watching anymore.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I doubt an American broadcaster will give them the same freedom that the BBC has - since US broadcasters get awfully tetchy over anything that might annoy their advertisers or the FCC. Plus there'd be tons of gratuitous product placement (I know that there likely already is now, but it'll be more frank).

The Clarkson fanboys on the internet also seem to assume that the other broadcasters are jumping at the bit to take them on, without a shred of evidence.

Well the likes of Netflix might go for him or even all 3. Making shows that way would give them more freedom.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is appropriate tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0Svvdrx_E
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's actually a natural choice really. Petrol head.. has a huge collection of cars.. has years of presenting experience.. interviews celebrities who often then appear on Top Gear as part of the BBC interview rounds they do.. he's a little unpredictable but not as unpredictable as Clarkson. He'd be a good choice.

Its a poisoned chalice for Evans or anyone stepping into Clarksons shoes. If Hammond and May go then Top Gear is dead imo. Clarksons ghost will haunt the brand and the brand will now haunt the BBC.

What an absolute catastrophic mess this is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet they can't stand Chris Evans.
  • Options
    TalbertTalbert Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's 1,000,000 + tv licences down the toilet....

And replacing with Chris Evans wtf the bellend from the One Show.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

I can't stand Chris Evans. They would be better off just leaving Hammond and May to do the show, assuming they want to stay on.

If May and Hammond walk, they may well lose their other BBC stuff so unless there is something big on the horizon TG could carry on, but May and Hammond should choose a replacement if they want one.

The BBC will just parachute a PC right on lefty.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could try to ask Jay Leno, he's passionate about cars and a nice person, too. Top Gear is a big name enough so he could seriously consider it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talbert wrote: »
    Well that's 1,000,000 + tv licences down the toilet....

And replacing with Chris Evans wtf the bellend from the One Show.

He was funny for a time on TFI Friday but that didn't last and was a very long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone better start a petition to stop Chris Evans joining Top gear.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if Evans will do it. He's a canny operator and he'll know that he'd be onto a loser taking over from Clarkson. He's already distanced himself from the role, too.

He's currently in a really strong position with the public, having firmly established himself into his Radio 2 role and his One Show position (following the rocky years in the early-00s) and I doubt he'd want to jeopardise that.

The BBC could do a lot worse than parachute Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan (from the F1 coverage) into the role (should May and Hammond walk now) - after all, they were basically doing Top Gear-lite throughout the 2012 season...!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC could do a lot worse than parachute Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan (from the F1 coverage) into the role (should May and Hammond walk now) - after all, they were basically doing Top Gear-lite throughout the 2012 season...!

Please suggest who would be "a lot worse".
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Katy Hopkins, David Mitchell, Ian Hislop to name but three :p

I enjoyed the work that they did on the F1, and I can't actually see it happening, but they put out a similar style of show, especially towards the end of Jake's time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard, Eddie Jordan

Really?

They might as well axe the whole thing.

Only Alan Partridge could seriously replace Jeremy Clarkson!

Top Gear is Jeremy Clarkson (May, Hammond, Stig are basically co hosts and are bit part roles.

I hope the BBC shut it down rather than dumb it down!
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew the BBC would f**k this up.

They f**ked up by possibly firing someone/not renewing their contract, because that person allegedly assaulted someone while representing the BBC?

That actually seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, especially for a person who has already been given far more chances than any other BBC employee would get.

Keeping Clarkson on if an assault is proven would bring the corporation into even more disrepute from the people who really matter - especially to the employees who will be effectively told that if you make the corporation a lot of money, you can ignore the rules with impunity
  • Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think you mean C**k, which works on at least 2 levels or 3 depending on your views on Clarkson.

Chris Evans is dull these days compared to what he was like during his R1 and TFI stints, but lets not mention Webbo! I'm not completely convinced he'd want to commit to the travel involved with TG. .
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

I wondered if he'd be the BBC's obvious choice of replacement.

As for Hammond & May, it depends whether they want to walk out in support of Clarkson or just to draw a clear line between 'their' Top Gear and whatever comes next. But I can't see both of them being wanted for long if they do stay. I suspect Evans will have strong ideas about how the new show should be, and he'll want a woman co-presenter. Possibly Suzy Perry?

Maybe they'll then add a 'roving reporter' junior presenter who does little in the studio but does a lot of pre-recorded test drives. Or have a celebrity guest reviewer on every week who has to do a journey and complete a task every week whilst reviewing the car - Martin Clunes drives from Lands End to John O'Groats in the new Ford Focus or Griff Rhys Jones sees if he can drive around North Wales in an electric car without recharging it, Jo Brand has to drive a massive cake around the west country in the new Land Rover without shaking it apart, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond leaves at the end of the 'first' series and May goes at the end of the next. That way there's a smooth transition to the new format rather than a clunking gear change.

It's all like a cross between Evans replacing Wogan and either Queen or INXS carrying on with other singers.
    welshblob wrote: »
    Chris Evans is dull these days compared to what he was like during his R1 and TFI stints
    Exactly - He's a safe pair of hands and familiar BBC family name. You can see exactly why the BBC would want him to steady the ship. But I doubt he'd want to stay on BBC2, so the BBC will probably finally get their wish and move it to BBC1.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    What, not Alan Partridge? The Clarkson petition may have been a joke but the Partridge one wasn't :(

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May?
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC will just parachute a PC right on lefty.

Chris Evans is a Conservative supporter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Top Gear will stagger on until foreign broadcasters lose interest in buying it.

I was surprised to learn that Top Gear Australia had been cancelled and the US version seems also to be an ex-parrot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if he'd be the BBC's obvious choice of replacement.

As for Hammond & May, it depends whether they want to walk out in support of Clarkson or just to draw a clear line between 'their' Top Gear and whatever comes next. But I can't see both of them being wanted for long if they do stay. I suspect Evans will have strong ideas about how the new show should be, and he'll want a woman co-presenter. Possibly Suzy Perry?

Maybe they'll then add a 'roving reporter' junior presenter who does little in the studio but does a lot of pre-recorded test drives.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond leaves at the end of the 'first' series and May goes at the end of the next. That way there's a smooth transition to the new format rather than a clunking gear change.

It's all like a cross between Evans replacing Wogan and either Queen or INXS carrying on with other singers.

Exactly - He's a safe pair of hands and familiar BBC family name. You can see exactly why the BBC would want him to steady the ship. But I doubt he'd want to stay on BBC2, so the BBC will probably finally get their wish and move it to BBC1.

Your basically describing Fifth Gear

If Clarkson is officially sacked.

The BBC would be foolish to continue Top Gear.

Yes it's worth £65m quid but there's 1,000,000 odd pissed off Internet folk that won't tun into a watered down version of a once great show.

I can't stand Chris Evans - why not Matt Baker or John Craven or Fiona Bruce or Evan Davis or any other BBC presenter who won't say boo to a goose.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gok Wan, Jo Brand & Russell Brand.