Options

Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,162
    Forum Member
    I don't think you get it to be honest.

I get it...those who said they didn't condone violence and signed a petition just to have have a presenter re-instated, have changed their tune now that he did hit someone, causing a busted lip and the injured party sufficient concern that they attended hospital,

I get that there are people who blank out that with no retaliation by the injured party and the intervention of witnesses the presenter continued loudly with the verbal abuse which contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack the producer, in the presence of others for a sustained period of time.

And it now emerges other members of the production team were verbally abused.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    At the beginning wasn't this presented as petty, as merely a bit of pushing and shoving, no punch landed or was thrown. I wonder in whose interest it would be to present such a scenario.

I somehow doubt that if Clarkson were on the receiving end of a punch he'd just write it off a "some handbags and shoving". Classic school bully.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it...those who said they didn't condone violence and signed a petition just to have have a presenter re-instated, have changed their tune now that he did hit someone, causing a busted lip and the injured party sufficient concern that they attended hospital,

I get that there are people who blank out that with no retaliation by the injured party and the intervention of witnesses the presenter continued loudly with the verbal abuse which contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack the producer, in the presence of others for a sustained period of time.

And it now emerges other members of the production team were verbally abused.

No you seem to think the shows popularity was behind the scenes and you totally disregarded the connection and banter of Clarkson Hammond and May.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Proving that people who moan about chance are rarely right.

No it proves that the style of Old Top Gear was not a success, even when it basically moved to another station/s. 5th Gear had numerous changes of style when on 5, taking it closer to what Top Gear was doing which only alienated the audience that want to know what driving a 1.2l Fiesta was like for a family of 4 with a dog and luggage. The show was not big success. Top Gear when it finished on the BBC prior to JC/AW buying the rights was also not a success, it was not interesting enough and not enough people watched it. It had no value to the BBC for international rights and so it was canned.

People complaining about the current version of Top Gear being finished are concerned about missing out on what is, by any definition, a very successful show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No wonder the NHS is in crisis. A split lip is 'putting someone in hospital?'. Leave a perfectly good bar with an ice maker to drive to the nearest A&E.. But nice to see the beeboids have a sense of drama.

It was not just a busted lip that led the assaulted person to being at a hospital, out of interest would you take the same flippant attitude if it had been a sexual assault or been a female on the end of the punch?
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    People complaining about the current version of Top Gear being finished are concerned about missing out on what is, by any definition, a very successful show.

So how can these selfish people go about changing that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all pointless isn't it.

The show is finished the haters are gonna claim that the show was not about the presenters, why really bother.

Forget it skinj.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    Having watched the show being recorded, there is no doubt in my mind that chemistry between the presenters was a huge part of the show & that is unlikely to replicated in either terms of success or believability in the near future.

That leads to whether the trio stay together on another show. And if that would still involve cars. They could probably do a travel show with similar effect, although some countries may be a bit nervous about giving them visas..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you seem to think the shows popularity was behind the scenes and you totally disregarded the connection and banter of Clarkson Hammond and May.

Oh give them a comedy contract and a sit com on ITV, clearly Top Gear was the wrong vehicle for the 3 stooges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The show is finished the haters are gonna claim that the show was not about the presenters, why really bother.

They're not haters, they're realists.

You're like angry football fans remaining by the side of the pitch after the final whistle complaining about the score as though they're all going to come back on and resume play until you get the score you want.

Jeremy Clarkson got sent off with a red card.
    They could probably do a travel show with similar effect, although some countries may be a bit nervous about giving them visas..

Yes, America if any of them have criminal convictions for violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not haters, they're realists.

You're like angry football fans remaining by the side of the pitch after the final whistle complaining about the score as though they're all going to come back on and resume play until you get the score you want.

Jeremy Clarkson got sent off with a red card.

Don't be silly you really topped it off here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't be silly you really topped it off here.

Clarkson is gone. He had to go, whether you liked his show or not. For the show to continue with him would be wrong, no matter how much we liked it. That leaves a gap that cannot be plugged, so the only solution is a revamp of the format so that it no longer requires Clarkson to function.

This would have all been so much easier if Clarkson had just called Tymon a pleb rather than "thick and Irish".
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it gets half of that, It will still be great ratings for Channel 5.

5th Gear is now on History. A proper car show like TG used to be. Not three juvenile prats messing about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know today hasn't gone as you would have hoped- but you don't know how bad it was.

Actually it has, and neither do you.
    Might have needed stitches- maybe not, but bad enough to go to A & E.

Driving yourself to A&E for a checkup isn't exactly 'being put in hospital', is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson is gone. He had to go, whether you liked the show or not. For the show to continue with him would be wrong, no matter how much we liked it. That leaves a gap that cannot be plugged, so the only solution is a revamp of the format so that it no longer requires Clarkson to function.

I agree with all of this you see.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard as don't have tinternet in work. No surprises. Once he dobbed himself in, he was toast. This thread has moved on a bit since last looked at it so sure others have said as much but...couldn't be any other decision and assume he knew that. Cry for help or just wanting to move on? No idea. Employment wise, he's obviously gonna be fine. Probably doesn't have to work again anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was not just a busted lip that led the assaulted person to being at a hospital, out of interest would you take the same flippant attitude if it had been a sexual assault or been a female on the end of the punch?

No no no.. You need more drama. A pregnant woman, or a small child. Or just a different kind of assault, and a different result-

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/mar/24/broadcasting.bbc

"Before I could say a word he suddenly turned, snarled, and sank his teeth into my left upper arm (leaving marks through the shirt, but not drawing blood). It hurt. I pulled my arm out of his jaws, like a stick out of the jaws of a labrador."

Massey told his then boss, Chris Cramer, now a senior CNN executive, that he wanted to "bring the whole BBC disciplinary process" against Mr Thompson, but the incident "lost momentum" when Mr Massey was sent on a month-long assignment abroad.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where is he going? ITV / C4/5 / Sky?

Would make sense to go to non-pay per view and keep the sane audience figures.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

Ch4 and Sky have apparently said, "it's a 'no'".
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    The BBC have absolutely made the right decision. I'm a little disgusted by all the Clarkson apologists. He got exactly what he deserved.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Ch4 and Sky have apparently said, "it's a 'no'".

Netflix and UKTV possible then?

Good chance to take Dave to the next level. First run Top Gear would get amazing viewing figures.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

I think he's been going for the insane market for many years. Can't see him targeting the sanes in any new venture. :D
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it says a lot about the indeterminate state the BBC is currently in that they have done the right thing that any company would do if one of its employees had behaved in this manner - and yet it still seems slightly surprising.

Ultimately, though, Tony Hall summed it up by restating the principle at the heart of this matter, namely that no-one at the BBC is above adhering to the rules of proper workplace behaviour no matter what their supposed worth is to the Corporation - and they have firmly underlined this by taking the action they have.

I do wonder, though, whether this development could potentially lead to some more significant ones:

- Was this incident one of a number of displays of ill-treatment dished out to the TG crew by both Clarkson and others - and if so, will it start to be revealed in the press?

- Will Clarkson find it difficult to work on future shows in terms of finding crew members who would be happy to work with him on those shows?

- Will Clarkson face criminal prosecution over what is a prosecutable offence?

The thing that pleases me most about this news, though, is that in one fell swoop, it punctures the balloon filled with the hot air of certain people on this thread and a million signatories who were happy to ignore the morals of a workplace assault to fulfil their own selfishness for their favourite TV show to remain on the air.

(The fact that some people are still doing that despite the disclosure of the full events simply beggars belief.)

Would I be right in assuming that an online depository has been set up for these million signatories to admit that their backing of Clarkson was completely wrong and to express sympathy to Mr Tymon?

If there is, perhaps it'd be most suitable if Guido Fawkes delivered it to Broadcasting House in an ambulance.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarkson being chased by the media on his bike on Sky News ("warning flash photography")
  • Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well like many I don't think the BBC had much choice in this matter having given him a final warning previously...

Personally never hugely have liked Clarkson, but have enjoyed much of the incarnation of Top Gear with him, May and Hammond, including the episode which BBC have gone ahead and broadcast tonight from a few years back in Cornwall.