Options

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,578
    Forum Member
    ^ They lie. It's a beta, ain't the first (and incidentally ain't free).

Classic Shell 4.2.0 beta supports W10, has been out for over 2 months, and is free.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    ^ They lie. It's a beta, ain't the first (and incidentally ain't free).

It's the msnews site that was saying that. They did say "announces" though which covers the beta doesn't it? It has to be beta anyway since Windows 10 isn't RTM yet!
    Classic Shell 4.2.0 beta supports W10, has been out for over 2 months, and is free.

I'm aware it's free but some punters still like to be aware of free and non-free options. :)
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,279
    Forum Member
    StartMenu X has worked from day one. I updated my laptop, which had it on, and it just continued working.....So not understanding the 'first' claim.
    Others have been mentioning the others like CS from the start also....So it's not even like it's second or third.
    It's just a rebranded 'Start8' as far as I can see.....
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC you had to do a clean install even with Windows 7. Certainly from XP.

You are right
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just installed the Technical preview on 2 machines.
    The 64bit version as a virtual machine on an up to date computer, and the 32bit version on an old P4 machine with 2GB RAM, dual-booting it with Windows 7.
    The 64bit version wouldn't install on this machine, even though I think the CPU fulfils all the criteria
    (it's a Pentium 4 650, and the NX bit feature is enabled in the BIOS).

There's good and bad IMO.

The good is that the default theme looks much more professional than Windows 8, and it feels much more like a traditional desktop OS than the schizophrenic 8.

Also it runs just as quick (if not quicker) than Windows 7 on my old P4 machine.
    Plus it picked up wifi, video and sound drivers for that machine automatically.

Also Windows Media Player now plays FLAC files, although it doesn't tag them properly.

I guess Cortana might prove useful, although it's not working in the UK yet.

The bad?
    Well One Drive has taken a step backward in asking you to sync the folders that you want downloaded to that computer, rather than showing you both online and offline content in Windows Explorer. Why take a backward step?

Plus they've let some kid redesign some of the folder icons, but left the other icons untouched. So if you open 'This pc' you have the horrible folder icons, then underneath the drive icons survive from Windows Vista era
    Either redesign the whole icon set, or leave them all alone. Those are the rules.

There seems to be a bug in the copy/cut paste routine. Sometimes it sticks on copying 0%, even for the smallest file; and trying to cancel doesn't work either.
    I've seen this on both installs.

Google Chrome seems to use up the RAM if left on for a while, but that's obviously a Chrome issue. Probably just needs a new version for Windows 10.
    Also Avast antivirus won't install so you have to rely on Windows Defender, but again that just needs a new version of Avast to be written.
    Not sure if the other third party AVs are the same? Malwarebytes installs fine.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not even a preview for the public. Don't treat it as something final, it's only half done. But if you are unhappy with something, tell them, there's a channel for the feedback, it's still time enough to change something. I did not like the direction OneDrive is going, too, so I told them. I think there was quite an uproar about it, actually.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, we know it's work in progress. I've reported a couple of issues.

Here's my comments after about 4 weeks of use on main and 2nd laptops (5 and 6 years old).
    Perversely, I got fed up messing with 2nd laptop and have reverted it to W7 but kept W10 on main laptop.

OneDrive is also put on C: and I wanted it on another partition.

Took me a little bit of Googling to find out how.
    (The method changed between W8 and 8.1 and I had to disconnect from W10 Live Account to get Local account and do it).
    I minimise what I have on C: and have a main Programs and Data Partition and a Miscellaneous Partition. Cloud folders go in Misc.

I had quite bad copy/cut bugs causing File Explorer to crash for no reason and also start selecting multiple items by itself.

It's better now (I think latest version TightVNC was breaking it badly, old version was OK possibly) but there is still a problem somewhere. It does hang from time to time.
    I use TightVNC so can sit at my main laptop and fiddle remotely with 2nd laptop.

Also, my Start button keeps packing up (and apps and Store).
    I have done In-place Upgrades or restored a recent System Image to fix it.
    I can't remember having tried System Restore for that issue. I must do so next time it breaks.

System Restore is agonisingly slow. I can restore a Macrium image of C: partition in 20 minutes so have been using that a lot.

Virtualbox will totally knacker your system and render it unbootable. System Restore won't fix it.
    Use VMware instead if you want to try virtualisation with W10 as Host.

I saw somewhere that all AVs, except Defender, are not supported in Tech Preview.
    But you could try Avast again with Defender explicitly disabled/Off. I haven't bothered.

I've just recently found out about Custom Refresh Images (available since W8) which keep Installed programs up to when they were made.
    However you still have to mess about setting up Basic Windows settings.

Not sure if Store Apps are retained. In-place Upgrade certainly breaks them (Tiles are still there) and you have to re-install them.

I prefer a Macrium Image, easier all round. I'm making them all the time.

Overall I like W10. Start Search is Pants, but I know this is changing in next Build.

Oh, and I tried a Wubi Dual Boot Ubuntu and got that working after some Wubi issues.
    Didn't last long. I did a W10 Refresh and it broke the dual boot.

I'll leave that alone for a few months. I can always run from Live USB.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is the impression I got.

It is something cobbled together to see what support they can get as they test ideas.
    I was going to say that they don't even have their Trident replacement there but apparently Spartan will use Trident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but as of the 18th March Build 10041 has been released to those opting to get new builds fast through Windows Update.
    (not available as an ISO)

Quite a few new features, including Cortana working in the UK.
    Also quite a few new bugs, by the sound of it.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/18/windows-10-technical-preview-build-10041-now-available/

I'm downloading it now.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but as of the 18th March Build 10041 has been released to those opting to get new builds fast through Windows Update.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/18/windows-10-technical-preview-build-10041-now-available/

I'm downloading it now.

Are you actually testing the business edition operating system, Can I ask if Internet Explorer is more hidden away with every update?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I'm downloading it now.

Are those the new features? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you actually testing the business edition operating system, Can I ask if Internet Explorer is more hidden away with every update?

It's Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview, and Internet Explorer is still there front and centre, at the moment.
    Are those the new features? :D

:D
    The update seems to have worked on one computer, but refuses to install on another, for some reason.

They do seem to be having problems with the Store (beta). It seems to have messed up some of the installed apps, but there's a fix in the article I linked to.
    ETA: The fix works, but you have to use Powershell as administrator (not command prompt), and you reinstall from the green 'Store' tile, not the grey 'Store (beta)' tile. A restart is required to get them to show up.

There's a new login screen, and there's now some transparency to the menu, and new icons for recycle bin, control panel and the drives in 'This pc'.
    As well as Cortana working in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the beta got the rumoured, built in torrent for software distribution, in yet ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Has the beta got the rumoured, built in torrent for software distribution, in yet ?

Not certain what you mean TBH? :confused:
    Doesn't mention anything about torrents in that blog anyway.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not certain what you mean TBH? :confused:
    Doesn't mention anything about torrents in that blog anyway.

Peer to peer option for Windows update as an alternative to the current options of Microsoft's servers or a local WSUS.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peer to peer option for Windows update as an alternative to the current options of Microsoft's servers or a local WSUS.

Should be good for the companies that can't afford all the costs of WSUS and don't fancy letting the machines have direct access to the net they'll be able to pick up them from the machine via local networks saving bandwidth and time, obviously not as powerful as the full update system to be able to apply filters etc to only push to certain machines etc but for the SME it could be brilliant in almost a point and click way to push out updates
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be great for private home machines, you download to one and take it from there for the others. I have 2 laptops and 2 tablets, it will save time and bandwidth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Windows Update has been moved from Control Panel to the new Settings app, and there are very few options in there at all at the moment.

Just about all you can do is choose whether to get updates 'fast' or 'slow'; i.e take every new build as soon as it's released, or just take the major ones.
    Presumably you'll have better control in the released version.

As I said in a previous post, the update worked in one machine, but in the other something went wrong and the update just keeps trying to install and fails.
    I'll have to try System Restore and try and re-download the new build. Either that or wait for the next ISO and re-install.

You'd think in this day and age that computer OSs would have better self troubleshooting, and would offer to re-download the update if something went wrong?
    But no. It just sits there blindly trying to install it again and again. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that fast is the one that is/is going to be the peer to peer torrent for updates.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd think in this day and age that computer OSs would have better self troubleshooting, and would offer to re-download the update if something went wrong?
    But no. It just sits there blindly trying to install it again and again. :mad:

Its a pre release version, these are the problems that they need to know about to be able to fix something as it could be a simple fix but until they know its broken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Its a pre release version, these are the problems that they need to know about to be able to fix something as it could be a simple fix but until they know its broken

The ISO for 10041 has now been released, and I tried a clean install from that.
    It seemed to go OK but on one of the restarts during the install it gives a BSOD error, and I can't get beyond that.

From a bit of googling it seems to be something to do with a realtek sound driver issue in that build, but not sure if there is a solution yet.

But that kind of emphasises my point about OSs being dumb.
    There's no way they should BSOD over a simple sound driver.

I've clean installed 9926 again now, and I'll see how it handles the update this time.
    I've also got the Technical Preview in virtualbox on another machine anyway.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm downloading it now.
    Cortana do not work, it still says not available in this region. the extended start menu is awful now, too much transparency.
    Still problems with some of my software, so off it went again.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,279
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Cortana do not work, it still says not available in this region. the extended start menu is awful now, too much transparency.

Works here.....Hereford must be have been left out..;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

In the one machine that updated successfully Cortana is working fine as far as I can see.
    I don't have a microphone on that PC, so can't talk to her, but she pronounced my name perfectly, and puts up info about the weather etc.
    Perhaps you have your region set wrongly?

As they admit in their blog, transparency on the expanded Start menu is a work in progress.
    The intention is to be only able to see your wallpaper behind it, but at the moment you can see your open windows etc
    I would think eventually you'll be able to control the level of transparency in Personalization, although you can't at the mo.

Still can't get my old P4 machine to update to 10041. :(
    Tried again to update a clean install of 9926, and it again failed. This time with a message saying that it was unable to install Windows Technical Preview on this machine, and has reverted to the earlier OS (9926).
    Now it won't even attempt the upgrade. WU tells me the machine is up to date.

Beginning to think they've made 10041 incompatible with this machine, even though 9926 runs perfectly (faster than Win7 on same machine).
    Kind of puts a lie to their stated goal of getting everybody currently on Windows 7 updated to 10.
    Admittedly this was originally a Windows XP machine.