Options

KFC gravy

Bernard_Doyle1Bernard_Doyle1 Posts: 67
Forum Member
I was shocked watching the BBC documentary on KFC tonight that the gravy is made from all the sludge and leftovers from the bottom of the fryer.

Surely that can't be right! I love their gravy but this has put me off now

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I thought that most gravy was made from meat juices and stuff that you don't want to think about, which otherwise tastes good?
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Better Than Home Cooking' lol :o
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pan scrapings are often used as the base for gravy. There's bits of meat and concentrated meat juices. There's also fat which is essential.

Typically when we fry chicken or pork chops we pour off all but about two spoons of fat, deglace (which is a French term for scrape the good bits off the bottom of the pan with some stock or broth (some sauces also use wine) and then add a couple of spoons of flour, which you mix into a paste (roux). To that add two cups (16 ounces) broth or stock, (also some light cream for white gravy), stir like mad to avoid it getting lumpy, correct the seasoning, and Bob's your uncle.

Having said all that, I'm surprised KFC still does it the old fashioned way, their gravy is so uniform I figured it came from an add water type mix.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pan scrapings are often used as the base for gravy. There's bits of meat and concentrated meat juices. There's also fat which is essential..................................

All true, but you obviously didn't see what the OP was referring to, it really was a 'eeeeeewwww' moment.

Not that I eat KFC of course, but if I did I would definitely not touch their gravy after seeing that.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All true, but you obviously didn't see what the OP was referring to, it really was a 'eeeeeewwww' moment.

Not that I eat KFC of course, but if I did I would definitely not touch their gravy after seeing that.

I saw it and was 'suprised', but as has already been pointed out, this is exactly how authentic gravy is made in any other scenario.. why would KFC be any different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I didn't. But it matters not. It's a question of volume. For home use you use two tablespoons of drippings and make a pint or so of gravy. They're making gallons of gravy, therefore the quantity of drippings necessary would be much greater.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that too. I've never had KFC gravy, so I can't comment on the taste, but I don't have a problem with it per se. My only concern is that the outlets run by lazy bastards who don't change their oil regularly enough will end up with some nasty, carcinogenic charcoal crap as their gravy base.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,112
    Forum Member
    I do wonder how people thought gravy was made.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I thought that most gravy was made from meat juices and stuff that you don't want to think about, which otherwise tastes good?

Exactly. Not to mention what gets put in cheap sausages and stuff. If it tastes good and it's safe to eat, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As all the telly chefs say when they show you the burnt crust on the bottom of the pan or the greasy juices, "Now don't throw this away, it's gold".
    Then they add a slug of wine or other liquid to "deglaze" the pan and make a gravy.
    KFC do it on a grander scale.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I saw it and was 'suprised', but as has already been pointed out, this is exactly how authentic gravy is made in any other scenario.. why would KFC be any different?

I was only half paying attention, but I think the 'sludge' was from day's worth of frying, not fresh meat drippings.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,112
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    I was only half paying attention, but I think the 'sludge' was from day's worth of frying, not fresh meat drippings.

Same thing surely? It's the drippings from the chicken, same as if it had been fried in a pan or roasted.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of this is true. I used to work in KFC.

The gravy is made from a bag of gravy powder that is mixed with water and microwaved then poured into the little pots.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my chip shop we add some of the fat that runs off the kebab meat when cooked. I sell more gravy than mushy peas. People comment on how nice it is and what's the secret ingredient is lol. Same as when you make gravy at home surely? Always make it in the thing you roasted the meat in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

The gravy is made from a bag of gravy powder that is mixed with water and microwaved then poured into the little pots.

Now *this* I believe. Their gravy is way too uniform to be anything but a mix. It could be that back when there was a single restaurant in Harlan, Kentucky they made gravy from drippings, but these days the gravy at that location is identical to that in any other location.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The gravy I've had from KFC was clearly made this way.

You could tell it was just gravy granules and water.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've only had KFC gravy once and that was because of the South Park episode about it :D

I guess they have a different recipe over there for Cartman to be addicted to it because to me it was bland gloopy liquid.

An instant gravy is better. Which it probably is but obviously for my taste there is a big discrepancy between the powder and the amount of water to make it so flavourless.

or maybe it was just a bad day to try the gravy but to be honest KFC and gravy doesn't go together for me.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    The gravy I've had from KFC was clearly made this way.

You could tell it was just gravy granules and water.

Bleugh. I can't stand gravy made with granules. Every meal tastes the same!
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish KFC in the UK would serve mac and cheese, and biscuit and gravy like they do in the USA.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

this makes more sense, i wouldn't mind if it was scrapping because the stuff i have had is just flavoured gravy water not worth it that's why i just go for the beans.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »

I'm fairly certain they used the sludge from 4 or 5 days worth of frying - that's what disgusted me rather than the process. We all make gravy from the fat and dripping...but not after it's been heated, cooled, heated, cooled for 4 day...yuck! They did add a gravy powder to thicken the mix and if they didn't use the scuzz at the bottom of the fryer for the gravy base - why did they show us doing just that?!
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain they used the sludge from 4 or 5 days worth of frying - that's what disgusted me rather than the process.

I saw that.. Impression I got was the pans were cleaned every day, the oil changed every 4-5 days.

The bit that really disgusted me was the pampered woman from the 'charity' having hysterics about the calories in the chicken being donated. The woman kept wibbling about diet and healthy in between screeches.. Like homeless/hungry people really need a calorie restricted diet.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They showed the process of making it, they had a mix too which they added to the sludge and chicken bits
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish KFC in the UK would serve mac and cheese, and biscuit and gravy like they do in the USA.

Don't know of any UK branches selling mac and cheese but their Oxford Street branch still does biscuits (which are pretty much scones).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm fairly certain they used the sludge from 4 or 5 days worth of frying - that's what disgusted me rather than the process. We all make gravy from the fat and dripping...but not after it's been heated, cooled, heated, cooled for 4 day...yuck!
    My mam used to have a frying pan that was hardly ever cleaned out. It had a white layer of fat in it always. And the fat could be from anything. Sausages, bacon, steak, lamb, fish...

My friends mams have the same.

I do similar but I tend to pour off the fat into a cup at the side of the cooker and add a drop or two when needed.