Options

Specsavers should be closed down. .

basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
Forum Member
My mum has just come back from her free eye test having narrowly avoided being conned by thieves at this company. She wanted two distance glasses but as her prescription required her to have a reading pair as well she was not allowed the offer of two glasses for £69. She never uses her reading glasses so had no need for a new one. Also as one eye is stronger than the other she would have had to pay £40 extra for the lenses to be adjusted. Not only that but they demand payment before glasses are delivered which no other opticians require. Its a con and should be shut down.

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specsavers is the one high st shop that I only have positive things to say about. In my experience their level of customer service, combined with good prices is fantastic.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been very good with people I know. Partly because of them, the serious genetic eye condition my mum and aunt have, that had been causing problems for a while was detected. Staff at ours are very professional, prices fair.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    My mum has just come back from her free eye test having narrowly avoided being conned by thieves at this company. She wanted two distance glasses but as her prescription required her to have a reading pair as well she was not allowed the offer of two glasses for £69. She never uses her reading glasses so had no need for a new one. Also as one eye is stronger than the other she would have had to pay £40 extra for the lenses to be adjusted. Not only that but they demand payment before glasses are delivered which no other opticians require. Its a con and should be shut down.

I don't get it. How is it a con that she didn't qualify for an offer? And, yes, obviously if adjustments need to be made, you have to pay extra for that.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only that but they demand payment before glasses are delivered which no other opticians require. Its a con and should be shut down.
    I understand the rest but what's the fuss about this?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always go to Specsavers, excellent service, my only gripe is that their cheap £25 frames are for basic lenses only, if you want any thing else you have to go for a more expensive frame, but thats no hardship as they offer 2 for one, so I have one pair as sunglasses.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why she wasn't allowed the two for £69 offer. I was allowed two pairs of distance glasses as I already had a serviceable pair of reading glasses. Their service is fantastic generally. Perhaps it is just your local branch.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I went into specsavers once and I was absolutely disgusted. I asked for a pair of glasses and came out with a pair of glasses tattooed on my forehead :confused:
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I don't get it. How is it a con that she didn't qualify for an offer? And, yes, obviously if adjustments need to be made, you have to pay extra for that.

The prescription for my left eye is much stronger than my right eye. No extra charge on the lenses...:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,858
    Forum Member
    Not only that but they demand payment before glasses are delivered which no other opticians require.

Not so. From different opticians, I am always asked for payment at time of ordering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Should've gone to Specsavers.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specsavers are great - I've had very thorough eyetests and quality service from them. To the OP, if your mother needed a prescription for reading and distance then she should have them. You can't be self diagnosing what you need and what you don't ! I take it from what you've said that she is short sighted and needs distance glasses, but manages without glasses for close work. That's what all short sighted people do in middle age, but certain prescriptions, those with astigmatism will still need correcting. Most opticians will ask for a deposit if not all the payment before ordering - there are a lot of dishonest people around these days !
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The whole business should be closed, yes lets put a load of people out of a job on the back of one incident.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's much cheaper to buy glasses online. I like Glasses Direct - you can order up to 4 frames at a time to try at home. I much prefer that (and the cheaper prices!) than having to try on and buy glasses in a shop.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2-for-1 offer is for the same prescription in each pair.

I think it's likely there was a misunderstanding by the customer.

Paying in advance is normal.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I have ever had my eye tested at any opticians I have been prescribed new glasses. When I started to notice this pattern I started asking what exactly the difference was between the old prescription and the new one and if I really needed a new pair of glasses, so far the replies I have got have been along the lines of a small difference and not really. These days I get a new pair of glasses when the old pair brakes.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Specsavers are great - I've had very thorough eyetests and quality service from them. To the OP, if your mother needed a prescription for reading and distance then she should have them. You can't be self diagnosing what you need and what you don't ! I take it from what you've said that she is short sighted and needs distance glasses, but manages without glasses for close work. That's what all short sighted people do in middle age, but certain prescriptions, those with astigmatism will still need correcting. Most opticians will ask for a deposit if not all the payment before ordering - there are a lot of dishonest people around these days !
    Yeah she is short sighted. She has reading glasses already but doesn't use them.
    She is know telling me through she would not have got the £69 offer even if she went for one pair of each and would have had to pay £39 more. She couldn't get the £69 as her prescription was not for that. It appears no one can get the £69 offer and its just one big con involving medical professionals as well. He told her if she went to another branch she could get it through.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    BMW are just as bad.

I saw they had an offer which allows me to buy a 116i for £279 per month.
    I went in to buy an M5 but found that they wouldn't honour their offer to sell it to me for £279 per month.

The bastards. >:(
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/2-for-1#terms

Just had a look at the offer. It doesn't actually say the glasses must be two different prescriptions, but as your mother requires two, then that's why they've refused to do just distance glasses. A younger person needing only the one prescription would have qualified for the offer.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my glasses from glasses direct back when they were £18 now the same pair is £59 I think still cheap though and would definately recommend them
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your overreaction should be shut down.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might I suggest either you or your mother puts their reading glasses on and reads the terms and conditions of the offer. Just going in an assuming the offer applies to any pair of glasses you like with any lens is the problem here.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/2-for-1

Note PENTAX and other 1.5 single vision lenses included in both pairs. For PENTAX 1.5 Standard varifocal or bifocal lenses you pay for the lenses in your first pair

I do understand that these offers look to promote the deal without the strings attached but that is always the case. Like in the sale when things are up to 50% off. Don't actually expect their is anything you want that is 50% off.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Specsavers for my contact lenses and I've had nothing but good service, so no they shouldn't shut down.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    basdfg,

Those blokes felt the same about that French magazine.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always go to Spec Savers and have had nothing but excellent service from them . I used to have two pairs of glasses one for distance and one for reading/close work and always got the two for one offer ,but got fed up of having to chop and change them when reading the paper/watching T.V .or while shopping ,having on distance and then having to change to read the prices etc>:( :blush: ......So now i have Bi-Focals and love them and even with these lenses i still have No extra to pay on top ..wish i had ,had them years ago :D
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see this one coming.