Options

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Certainly some irony in the possibility that his honest admission is what did for him.
    That and the independent witnesses.
    I hope Sky / C4-5 / ITV pick him up. Huge opportunity going to waste.
    They're not interested at the moment.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Final warning or not, I think this could have been resolved without this nuclear option.
    moox wrote: »
    The problem with this is that it would open them up to unfair dismissal suits if in the future they have to fire someone else for assault, and in the meantime it sends a message that if you're important enough to the BBC you can do anything you want. Other BBC stars have been fired for a single transgression, not the several second chances Clarkson has had for things he has said

He broke the rules massively here, and the amount of money he makes the company shouldn't come into it. Saying the odd thing out of turn, or mostly manufactured outrage like the Argentinian number plate thing can be glossed over but this is too far
    This is correct. A final warning is what it is.....final. Quite what the period is before that is spent depends on the employers t&c's, but Clarkson was obviously still under final warning terms at the time of the assault.

Sending him to rehab, anger management courses, a fine or doing charity work etc......just where do you draw the line? :confused:

We are talking about a 54 year old man here FGS, not some OOC teenage tearaway glue sniffing reprobate.

He had a job that paid handsomely for doing very little in the way of hard graft which gave him a lifestyle other people could only ever fantasise about.

I've no doubt by the following day when he'd sobered up he would have reflected on what he'd done and the consequences bound to follow, hence the reason he attempted to make contact with Tymon. But it was too late, the damage had been done and nobody but Clarkson did that.

Had Tymon smacked Clarkson in the face.....do you really think he'd still have a job? He'd have been instantly dismissed.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly some irony in the possibility that his honest admission is what did for him.

Honest admission? I don't think so.

He fessed up because he was aware of the independent witnesses and knew he was in the sh*t.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    This is correct. A final warning is what it is.....final.
    Quite what the period is before that is spent depends on the employers t&c's, but Clarkson was obviously still under final warning terms at the time of the assault.

He may well have been under final warning terms, but you're right, infringements after a final warning are not necessarily an automatic termination offence depending on the employer, which was kind of my point.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may well have been under final warning terms, but you're right, infringements after a final warning are not necessarily an automatic termination offence depending on the employer, which was kind of my point.
    It generally means you are on borrowed time. Put a foot wrong during that period and you will be through the door because the employer has gone through all the procedures, used up all the warnings, usually verbal then written, with the final leaving them nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It generally means you are on borrowed time. Put a foot wrong during that period and you will be through the door because the employer has gone through all the procedures, used up all the warnings, usually verbal then written, with the final leaving them nowhere else to go.

I know what it means, but there has been a lot of emphasis on the final warning, as if any infraction following a final warning always meant that was it, you're gone. That may well be the case at the BBC, but your post simply confirmed what I was trying to convey, that this isn't automatically so, depending on employer, circumstances etc.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Tymon smacked Clarkson in the face.....do you really think he'd still have a job? He'd have been instantly dismissed.

Although on the plus side, he'd probably have got fewer death threats from the Clarkson brigade.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what it means, but there has been a lot of emphasis on the final warning, as if any infraction following a final warning always meant that was it, you're gone. That may well be the case at the BBC, but your post simply confirmed what I was trying to convey, that this isn't automatically so, depending on employer, circumstances etc.

It's the BBC, though, the last bastion of correct English usage. If THEY don't mean "final" when they mean "final", then we may as well all give up.

(Yes, DC Comics, I am looking at YOU with your "Infinite Crisis" LIMITED series and your "Final Crisis" which wasn't even the last crisis).
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Honest admission? I don't think so.

He fessed up because he was aware of the independent witnesses and knew he was in the sh*t.

How long between the incident and him reporting it/himself?

Clarkson should be thankful the bloke didn't give him clattering, 'sounds' like he asked for it., probably feared for his job/reputation.
    Where was May and Hammond while all this kicked off?
    The other pair as Clarkson's 'mates' don't come out of this too well IMO either, didn't have the balls to take him in hand, tell him he was acting the c*** and forcibly march him off to bed before he went too far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    It's the BBC, though, the last bastion of correct English usage. If THEY don't mean "final" when they mean "final", then we may as well all give up.

This did cross my mind. (One of my favourite BBC traits is how newsreaders and presenters go to great lengths to ensure the name of every person, place or thing is pronounced proper with great effort and emphasis)
  • Options
    Forum Member

The other pair as Clarkson's 'mates' don't come out of this too well IMO either, didn't have the balls to take him in hand, tell him he was acting the c*** and forcibly march him off to bed before he went too far.

Reportedly, one of them did jump in between the pair, but it is unclear which one.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, bad employers will ignore a final warning, You must have worked in some s**t places!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reportedly, one of them did jump in between the pair, but it is unclear which one.

Check both for black eye covered by make-up?:D
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    It's almost like she is asking for an unprovoked smack in the mouth so that she can be told to "man up" herself.

She tries too hard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

(Yes, DC Comics, I am looking at YOU with your "Infinite Crisis" LIMITED series and your "Final Crisis" which wasn't even the last crisis).

I've got Final Countdown, the 1986 hit, going round my head now!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything left to talk about, really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Is there anything left to talk about, really?

Well they find stuff to talk about in that Shrien Dewani Trial thread, and he was cleared and went home three years ago. Or so it feels.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It was Hammond, but as he was below waist level, neither Tymon nor Clarkson noticed him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It was Hammond, but as he was below waist level, neither Tymon nor Clarkson noticed him.

Until he headbutted one....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Concealed by Clarkson's paunch no doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they find stuff to talk about in that Shrien Dewani Trial thread, and he was cleared and went home three years ago. Or so it feels.

This thread has gone a further 34 pages since his sacking and much of the same pros/cons are still be argued as when he was originally suspended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread has gone a further 34 pages since his sacking and much of the same pros/cons are still be argued as when he was originally suspended.

An apt, BBC type response to this might be "Other threads are available"
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member

Perhaps we enjoy discussing it... perhaps there is a friendly DS family feeling vibe in this thread now and we enjoy the casual Clarkson related chit chat and trivia... perhaps some people are still waiting for the facts to come out, like facts that match how they feel the situation really went and they're going to damn well wait until those facts are revealed not the nonsense PC madness facts we have now... or perhaps this being DS maybe somebody wants the last word (I'm winning).
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long between the incident and him reporting it/himself?

Clarkson should be thankful the bloke didn't give him clattering, 'sounds' like he asked for it., probably feared for his job/reputation.

I can't see how May and Hammond have anything to do with this and we have no idea if they were even there or not or if they tried to intervene.

The only thing we know for sure is that there was an altercation between Clarkson and the producer and it seems every one agrees that it was Clarkson who was entirely at fault and that includes Clarkson himself who reported himself.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    They're not interested at the moment.

Source?