Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inside Man [2006]. Director: Spike Lee

5/10

Ron Howard did well to bow out of directing this silly-plotted heist movie.

Why Stop Now? [2011]. Directors: Philip Dorling & Ron Nyswaner

5/10

Strained comedy which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival and went little further..

Alter Egos [2012]. Director: Jordan Galland

4/10

Poor (and very cheap) comedy about superheroes who have fallen out of favour with the public.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone [2013]. Director: Don Scardino

6/10

Steve Carrell and Steve Buscemi as a pair of old-fashioned Vegas magicians whose careers are threatened by the arrival of bewigged street magician Jim Carrey
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder Boys
    Bring It On
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    A GIRL-AND-A-BOY-INTERRUPTED

Girl, Interrupted is a 1999 American drama film, and an adaptation of Susanna Kaysen's 1993 memoir of the same name. The film was released just as I was settling into an early retirement and a sea-change at the age of 55 in Australia's spring season, and just as I was beginning to take my own memoiristic literary activity seriously.

The film chronicles Kaysen's 18-month stay at a mental institution in the late 1960s in North America. Directed by James Mangold, the film stars Winona Ryder as Kaysen, with a supporting cast that includes Angelina Jolie, Brittany Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg and Vanessa Redgrave. I saw the film last night,1 sixteen years after its release and as I was settling into the last decade of my late adulthood, the years from 70 to 80 according to one model of human development used by psychologists.-Ron Price with thanks to 1Channel11 TV, 24/25 March 2015, 9:30 p.m.-12:15 a.m.

I had my stay, too, in a mental
    institution at the same time as
    was the setting for this film in
    the late 1960s....My stay only
    had six months, but it clearly
    was enough to give me points
    of comparison & contrast with
    what I saw in this period-piece.

I, too, got on with my life as the
    1970s unfolded, and I learned to
    deal with the problems of bipolar
    disorder for I was a young adult,
    a boy interrupted for a time back
    then in the decade after that other
    film of fame1 gave its audiences a
    set of ideas about what it was like
    inside mental hospitals for those
    who had gone beyond life's edge
    of normality & coping capacity.

Both films conveniently distract us in
    some ways from the inaccuracy of the
    reality of both institutional life & the
    life of the mentally-ill. The picture of
    life in such an institution1 where shock
    treatments were dispensed like aspirins
    and lobotomies were prescribed as if all
    those frontal lobes of patients were just
    troublesome wisdom teeth was a picture
    that has been improved-upon in this film,
    this filmic-period-piece some 25 years later
    as I was on my way to an early retirement,
    and a sea change, after a fifty year student-
    and-paid employment life from 1949 to '99.

1 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was written in 1959, the year I joined the Baha'i Faith, and published in 1962, the year I began my travelling-and-pioneering for the Canadian Baha'i community. In the midst of the civil rights movement and deep changes to the way psychology and psychiatry were being approached in America these two films came out. The 1960s began the controversial movement towards deinstitutionalization, an act that would have affected the characters in Kesey's novel, and Kaysen's memoirs. The Kesey novel is a direct product of his time working the graveyard shift as an orderly at a mental health facility in Menlo Park, California.

Ron Price
    25/3/'15
  • Options
    gtfc1984gtfc1984 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    The Book Of Eli (2010) Was on 5* last night such a shame it wasn't on a HD channel, not the best Denzel film (personal preference) - 5/10
  • Options
    gtfc1984gtfc1984 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Saw (2004) Sky Movies 8/10

Seen this before noticed it was on TV so recorded it for a re-watch, great film.
  • Options
    goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour Day. Cheesy to the extreme. Schmaltz never felt so forced and saccharine. 2 stars.
  • Options
    goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kill the Irishman- 3 stars. Not a classic gangster film by any stretch of the imagination but did its job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sniper :)
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbours (2014) - absolute shite, might have smirked a couple of times but very few laughs, poor script, just poor.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did as can't really stand Tom Cruise but I thought it was pretty good.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,329
    Forum Member
    The Devil Rides Out

Blimey. When Christopher Lee is the good guy the villain must be quite something. Turns out to be Old Nick up to his tricks up at the Manor in this fast-moving Hammer/Dennis Wheatley outing. Splendidly creepy. 8/10

What Just Happened

Robert De Niro quietely impressive as a much-troubled producer in Hollywood semi-satire. Doesn't really go anywhere, but it's a fairly entertaining ride with a game starry cast. 6.5/10
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,468
    Forum Member
    The Tales of Hoffmann

Had a craving for Powell and Pressburger yesterday, so I decided to sate my appetite by watching The Tales of Hoffmann. This is their ballet and operatic adaptation of the 19th century opera of the same title. All I can say is it's magical and beautiful. If you're a fan of Powell and Pressburger's films, then this should be on your shortlist, particularly if you liked The Red Shoes (Moira Shearer and others in The Red Shoes are in this, too).

5/5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    just watched Tape 407....bit of one of those held cameras being filmed...Had to watch it all to see what happened at the end..bit of a twisty shock :o
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grease - I do like a good musical, though I don't watch them often. I found this to be surprsingly dull however after that incredible opening number. As a supposed 'family' film, it was amusing seeing just how many innuendos they managed to shove in :p

5/10

The Deer Hunter - Vietnam war drama about the traumas of war. Excellent intense performances by De Niro and Walken but wow, that first hour is testing to say the least.

7/10

Empire of the Sun - I was taken aback by just how epic in scope this is considering it's one of Spielberg's less talked about films. The set pieces and the cinematography are beautiful of course but it's the emotional bits of the narrative where Spielberg suprisingly falters. A 12 year old Christian Bale gives a towering performance as a POW during Japan's occupation of Shanghai.

7/10
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guardians of the Galaxy - wow, I'd never seen it before but myself and eldest so. (11) really enjoyed it.

'I am Groot'

9/10
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Chasing Amy - 8.5/10
    Divergent - 8/10
    Dogma - 8/10
    Magic in the Moonlight - 6.5/10
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    The Interview

A couple of funny bits but basically a straight-to-DVD job.

5/10
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24 Hour Party People

8/10 Not bad, especially if like me you remember Tony Wilson on Granada, liked lots of the music from Factory Records and went (only once) to the Hacienda.

Steve Coogan was surprisingly good :-)
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Aliens 7/10
    Finally got around to watching this, I liked it.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cape Fear (1991) - Scorsese 'lite' film which features an insanely creepy and commited performance from De Niro.

6/10
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently watching "Cape Fear":o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Just watched Lucy...good film, but i could have watched more of it, seemed to be over quick :(
  • Options
    UsernameErrorUsernameError Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Northern Soul

8/10
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,468
    Forum Member
    The Road

Not a bad adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy's bleak book. Captured most of the author's intent.

4/5
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looper - 2/10

The scenery was nice. The rest of it was boring and Joseph Gordon-Levitt sounded like he had severe toothache. One of those films you push yourself to watch to the end so you can make a fair judgement of it, but will happily never watch again.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Looper - 2/10

The scenery was nice. The rest of it was boring and Joseph Gordon-Levitt sounded like he had severe toothache. One of those films you push yourself to watch to the end so you can make a fair judgement of it, but will happily never watch again.

One of those films that started out with a good basic idea and then totally loses it. Didn't it end up involving aliens or demons or something in the end?
This discussion has been closed.