Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Morning all, just thought I would update a old comments from w few weeks ago...

my old phil&dan sim thats all but expired of all things usable, berefit of data/internet access, no credit, and no mins..... is allowing me to do rootmetrics speed tests as expected.
    Sensorly/st.net fails of course.

heres a strange one tho.. my ebay app in this s3, has just piped up about a item thats despathed lol. investigating as i type.... and finding that the app is not connecting(no data of course). dunno how it got the other info.........
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I've had this happen on VF a few times, usually just after putting a SIM into a new phone. It seems to take a bit of time for the carrier systems to detect that you're using data when you shouldn't be.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Sometimes the traffic route the notifications system (not sure how it works with Android) isn't counted against data allowance.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Just on the off chance anyone was wondering.....
    My mast didn't come on this weekend!!
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Damn! Well I still don't have 4G on my masts either!
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no sign of 4G around my office in Market Harborough as well, The mast upgrades took place over a month ago yet still with 1-2mb downloads.
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mast that had been switched off last year near Helpston/Glinton, Peterborough, has been turned back on now with 4G enabled.

Still nothing in Stamford yet though odd remote places are getting enabled.
  • Options
    keithstokeithsto Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    No sign of Carr house flats in wakefield being 4g enabled too :(
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE seem to switch 4G on in Wrexham for about 3 hours then switch it off again, this has happened a few times. How long will they carry on doing this for? Even O2 has 4G in Wrexham now!
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all. I remember Jabba saying about a month ago that EE would be refreshing their sim only tariffs shortly. Did I miss this or is it still on the horizon?
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all. I remember Jabba saying about a month ago that EE would be refreshing their sim only tariffs shortly. Did I miss this or is it still on the horizon?

Would be nice if EE done a 20GB sim only plan ^_^
  • Options
    FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    My monopole mast went down today between 10am - 5pm for upgrades, could see 3 white vans there when walking to work. They were working on it last week too. Any ideas what the cabinet is for? Because it doesn't match any 4G cabinets i've seen through this thread that people have posted images of. Plus any idea who it could be for, EE or Three? or even both.

Last weeks images:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfjvd96aa3utwus/IMAG0088.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru5w7pj2r06y55w/IMAG0089.jpg

The cabinet that showed up today (Sorry not the best, was raining when walking home from work, so it was a quick snap)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/erutd7i9s99cgfd/IMAG0108.jpg

Cabinets that were there at the beginning (if needed)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hkjepddkgs8nuy/IMAG0090.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc678ujh5bntr5r/IMAG0091.jpg
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The tariffs (MBB at least) were tweaked last May, so I'm hoping that this May will see some tweaks.

EE can only charge hefty premiums for so long, surely?

Now Vodafone, Three and O2 are pushing SIM only - it leaves the network with the best 4G network looking rather silly with just 5GB a month, and just 4GB a month on PAYG.

Plus 100MB for £1.99 as the only add-on for SIM only is insane.

A 20GB tariff, almost regardless of price, is likely to find a number of customers. Plus decent add-on charges to boost that up thereafter.

Also, I think the mobile broadband and EE Home (is that ever going to go national?) is ready for 100+ GB tariffs. Again, they don't have to be super cheap, just available in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's slightly strange as well that PAYG on the £15 a month is cheaper and you get a 250mb boost every 3 months. Feels like they've dropped the ball.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,666
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The tariffs (MBB at least) were tweaked last May, so I'm hoping that this May will see some tweaks..

Lets hope. I'm on my second 12m contract on SIM only, but was seriously considering having to buy a (cheap) handset just to get a decent plan tariff next time. What is it with EE thinking SIM only users are second class citizens?

Hopefully Vodafone's SIM only marketing push will wake them up.
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's slightly strange as well that PAYG on the £15 a month is cheaper and you get a 250mb boost every 3 months. Feels like they've dropped the ball.

Don't forget you can also purchase a 1GB data add-on for £7.50 amoungst a few others, 100mb, 500mb.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think even BT Mobile will have EE having to take it more seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Don't forget you can also purchase a 1GB data add-on for £7.50 amoungst a few others, 100mb, 500mb.

Only if you bought a handset. Not if you're on SIM only. Another screwup from the marketing dept.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The BT launch delayed tarrif updates.

Still.. I'd pay extra for EE Cserve, Double Speed, wifi calling, VOLTE than take out a contract with BT that's slighly cheaper.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still.. I'd pay extra for EE Cserve, Double Speed, wifi calling, VOLTE than take out a contract with BT that's slighly cheaper.

I agree plus fact EE allow Tethering and have Visual Voicemail. The extras is what makes it worth it to me I understand I am paying the extra for a premium service. If I wanted a budget network I would go with Three or BT Mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying, It's certainly a premium network that's worth the money in terms of spectrum, speed, coverage and all the extras on that. I was just curious about whether I should switch now and be locked to a 12month contract or wait a month or two and get something slightly cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ahh!

Yes, these features are worth paying for. I'd like a more coherent policy on SIM only to be honest - EE EXTRA and other features are also worth offering to SIM only customers.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope EE start to look into doing what T-Mobile US has just launched

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

A coverage map that is live updated by customers and not done on predictions like we have now. Brilliant idea and should provide far more precise coverage maps than what we see today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    A coverage map that is live updated by customers and not done on predictions like we have now. Brilliant idea and should provide far more precise coverage maps than what we see today.

I was just looking at that. I'm fairly sure its harder to read than the EE or Three maps - but its a great idea on the overlay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking earlier. It reminds me of the root metrics map, with all the speed tests and such. It's an interesting network, they're rolling out 2x15 Bandwidth (I think that they may be using CA to get it up to 20Mhz in some areas) and 700Mhz at the moment but unlike with us they only own the spectrum for certain areas of the US, they can't rollout it out in lots of places like NYC because TV stations on channel 51 .
This discussion has been closed.