Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,288
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    What the heck happened to Serena in the 2nd set? last I saw she had just won the first and then she lost the 2nd
    6-1?

The sun is causing a bit of havoc and the errors started flowing. She's righting that ship now though.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a break up in the 2nd set as well.

Then lost 6 games in a row. :D

You don't often see that, she looks fired up now. And she's just broken Lisicki, it would be huge if Lisicki could win but I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    You don't often see that, she looks fired up now. And she's just broken Lisicki, it would be huge if Lisicki could win but I can't see it happening.

Think serena went up early break in third at W'don 2013 and didn't even force a breaker.

She's far from the juggernaut she used to be, yet she'll still likely win here of course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Serena does just enough for her 700th win.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Serena does just enough for her 700th win.

How many matches did Steffi win?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A harder match than I expected, but Serena was determined in the 3rd, congratulations to her for her 700th win.

If i'm reading her wiki right she had 900 wins to 115 losses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many matches did Steffi win?

902 wins.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    902 wins.

Wow. Serena will have to play a few more years to beat that. :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A harder match than I expected, but Serena was determined in the 3rd, congratulations to her for her 700th win.

If i'm reading her wiki right she had 900 wins to 115 losses.

I like Sabine a lot but I always root for Serena unless she's playing Venus. She seemed so out of sorts that even though she won the first set I thought Sabine would sneak it.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theim is looking good. I wonder if Andy is going to have one of those days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An unfortunate sweat patch on Thiem's shorts that makes it look like he's had an accident. :blush: Takes the opening set though, hitting the ball so cleanly and accurately. Andy's going to need to take it up a notch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, Andy looks pretty unhappy out there, I can't make out what he is saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Murray having a mare here to say the least

Typical. Just when the draw had opened up too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well we have a decider

I won't complain an ounce if Murray loses here though, his body language and attitude are terrible, he's like a guy who has been dragged from the beach on a sun holiday to play a bit of tennis with the kids to keep them entertained.

Thiem is playing well tbf but Andy is so disappointing. There are serious points to be gained here and his favourite masters no less
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phew! Crisis averted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe all hope isn't lost for Sloane after all, at least she was trying to get back into the match after a little pep talk from Saviano. The Sloane of last year would've checked out completely after that first set, hence why in the end I washed my hands of her because it was getting to the point where it was a, "well you clearly don't care, so why should I?", situation with her tennis and general attitude.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Muzza-Thiem could be interesting if Thiem's got something left in the tank. Thiem moves and defends well, and has added a nifty slice BH in recent weeks. In saying that, I don't think Thiem is that aggressive on ROS and will probably be standing behind the baseline to return the 2nd serve...

Okay, now this post pains me because I have to admit that Cherry-Choc was right. I know - hard to admit but the Murray/Thiem match was good value. I don't think Andy was even close to his best but Thiem was great especially in the first set. And his BH was firing.

This post will spontaneously combust if Cherry-Choc gets big-headed...:p

Edit: Oh and Pico gave Berdych more of a game than I anticipated.
    CGG_12 wrote: »

Perhaps, but I do miss the days when there was a more or less solid top 8 of the big 4 and Tomas, Tsonga, Delpo, and Daveed with most of them making quarters regularly

It's all gotten very random up there after Nole and Roger, I can't make up my mind whether it's a good or bad thing.

I think it's a good thing for the neutral. It was kind of boring knowing that no matter how seeds 5-8 fell, we'd generally have the top 4 in the semis. Okay not every tournament but often enough or close to. My only problem (and this is personal preference) is that I'm not keen on any of the new group vying for those QF spots.
    Maybe all hope isn't lost for Sloane after all, at least she was trying to get back into the match after a little pep talk from Saviano. The Sloane of last year would've checked out completely after that first set, hence why in the end I washed my hands of her because it was getting to the point where it was a, "well you clearly don't care, so why should I?", situation with her tennis and general attitude.

I just got really put off Sloane after that interview someone posted on here in which she seemed totally lacking in self-awareness and shared way too much information. And she just generally doesn't impress me - can't warm to her. But you're right, she does seem to be knuckling down and being prepared to dig deep these days.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Noticed Murray isnt playing Monaco or Barcelona this month, in fact the only other tennis he will be playing this month will be at a 250 event in Munich. Is this normal for him?

Not many others are missing Monte Carlo: Nishikori the only other Top 10 player who is doing the same. And no Top 16 player is missing both events except Murray.
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Noticed Murray isnt playing Monaco or Barcelona this month, in fact the only other tennis he will be playing this month will be at a 250 event in Munich. Is this normal for him?

Not many others are missing Monte Carlo: Nishikori the only other Top 10 player who is doing the same. And no Top 16 player is missing both events except Murray.

Not really - but then he doesn't tend to get married every April ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CMK29 wrote: »

Ah yes, of course :)

Doesnt look like he has any point to defend in either event anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CMK29 wrote: »

He didn't play both last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Berdych it is for Murray as expected

I think Murray will be fine here, though he may need to do it in 3

Can't see Berdych hitting through him consistently here. The head to head is incredibly misleading, I think Berdych is a decent match up for Andy off clay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He didn't play both last year

Maybe thats why he chose this April then, as he knew missing the events wouldnt impact on his ranking too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe thats why he chose this April then, as he knew missing the events wouldnt impact on his ranking too much.

I'd say so alright

Thought he might do after W'don myself, though he likes to hit Miami early to train for US summer HC swing. So maybe this makes best sense alright!
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope he can get it done today but statistically he is potentially on course for his best season in some time- consistency wise
    Since 2011, if he keeps it up. In 2011 he reached the semis at four Masters (and won two).

Fulfilling his top 4 seeding has become even more important as the big 4 have become a roadblock for him.
    Oh no, Andy looks pretty unhappy out there, I can't make out what he is saying.
    Probably for the best :p

Well, it looks like he tweaked his right shoulder when he stretched for a volley in the first set.
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Okay, now this post pains me because I have to admit that Cherry-Choc was right. I know - hard to admit but the Murray/Thiem match was good value. I don't think Andy was even close to his best but Thiem was great especially in the first set. And his BH was firing.

This post will spontaneously combust if Cherry-Choc gets big-headed...:p

Edit: Oh and Pico gave Berdych more of a game than I anticipated.
    I do get it right once in a while :cool:

Well, I remember that young Thiem gave Muzza a hard time last year in Rotterdam. He also edged out Stan in Madrid. Guy can play...
    I think it's a good thing for the neutral. It was kind of boring knowing that no matter how seeds 5-8 fell, we'd generally have the top 4 in the semis. Okay not every tournament but often enough or close to. My only problem (and this is personal preference) is that I'm not keen on any of the new group vying for those QF spots.
    Not keen on any of the new blood? Sad times.

I like Kyrgios, Kokkinakis and Thiem. Also used to like Dimitrov but not since he became a grinder under Rasheed. Tomic has an interesting game but he blows hot and cold.
    I just got really put off Sloane after that interview someone posted on here in which she seemed totally lacking in self-awareness and shared way too much information. And she just generally doesn't impress me - can't warm to her. But you're right, she does seem to be knuckling down and being prepared to dig deep these days.
    That was a tragic interview. I felt sorry for Sloane, growing up in the spotlight and public eye. Can't have been easy to lose her father at a young age.
    I'd say so alright

Thought he might do after W'don myself, though he likes to hit Miami early to train for US summer HC swing. So maybe this makes best sense alright!
    Fed married Mirka in April 2009. Second set of twins arrived in May 2014.

I suspect Andy has taken a leaf out of Fed's book here. Schedule the most important life events during the clay season. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.