Top Gear - what did we lose?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Strangely prophetic. The Top Gear thread has mysteriously disappeared.
    Probably for post surgery - it was getting a bit ridiculous and repetitive in there so might be hidden whilst tidied up by the mods.

It's there, now on page 3 after post surgery.

Sadly, it looks like this thread will take its place, seeing as it has now started to repeat the off-topic arguments.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TG isn't the X-Factor or some reality TV show. One of the main reasons it was so successful is the bond/friendship the presenters have. You can't manufacturer that, it might even be better to go out and look for 3 friends that can also present/interested in cars.

I suspect everyone who watched the programme had different reasons and many would not like or more of the three presenters or even the combination of the three.

I have seen plenty on here who do the same as myself, record the programme and fast forward through all the boring bits (which can often be much of the programme).
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    An over-glorified program about over-glorified noisy, polluting and dangerous machines. Of course it represents one of the parts of the population that the politicians love to suck up to, along with those who like getting into big debt.

Yes more time to fill with cack like Eastenders or Crap in my attic.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's there, now on page 3 after post surgery.

Sadly, it looks like this thread will take its place, seeing as it has now started to repeat the off-topic arguments.
    So it is. Well it's probably best to leave that one to fade away. Sadly or not people want to discuss this and that will mean some going over of old ground.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say something about "with what will Dave fill its schedule now?" but remembered that they're all repeats repeated repeatedly...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    So it is. Well it's probably best to leave that one to fade away. Sadly or not people want to discuss this and that will mean some going over of old ground.
    However, taking a thread off-topic is not helping those who simply want to discuss, or read about the thread topic.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 80,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

But the version of Top Gear that has existed for the past 13 years is not just a show about cars, it's far more about the dynamic between the three presenters, and it is this that has made Top Gear so hugely successful.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read this or something similar here as if it's a Eureka! moment that nobody else had realised before. I watched it and could care less about cars so I'm fully aware it had devolved into a sit-com about three greying, overweight post middle-aged men pining for the days of Empire and lamenting how Britain had changed for the worse as they titted about in ludicrous toys masquerading as cars.

I enjoyed it but it's gone and it's gone because one man couldn't moderate his behaviour to even a mildly civilised extent. He and he alone is responsible for TG no longer existing and it's astonishing how he still manages to escape responsibility for this with a percentage of the show's viewers. As I said, I watched it weekly but I'm under no illusions as to who brought it to an end - Clarkson.

The show will come back hopefully with the affable, charming James May as lead-host (he's always been the better presenter of the three as proven across his other programmes), Hammond and some other amusing car-nut - Perhaps this could be a different person every series in an extension of the guest-host approach taken by HIGNFY. That way the likes of Coogan, Rowan Atkinson, Johnny Vaughan, Chris Evans etc wouldn't feel pressured to be the centre of the show and it wouldn't mean they'd have to commit more than a few months to it as opposed to doing it full-time. It'd also mean there was a greater anticipation about each new series to see how the "new guy" would perform. And if one of them was a hit and wanted to stay-on permanently then......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    What did we lose?

An overgrown public schoolboy bully who got too big for his own head and vanished up his own ego long ago.

Time moves on and things change. Top Gear existed before Clarkson and will continue after him.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top Gear existed before Clarkson and will continue after him.
    That's a fallacy. A thing called 'Top Gear' existed before Clarkson, yes. That died on it's arse about 25 years ago and every attempt to revive it under a new name has been met with massive public indifference and failure. I'd go as far as to suggest that version of Top Gear does not exist any more and never will again, it's time has long since gone.

'Top Gear' as it is known today is effectively the invention of Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman. THAT Top Gear didn't exist before Clarkson and, given he not only was the lead presenter on it but also wrote a large chunk of the script, it's probably not going to exist after him.

There may be a new thing called 'Top Gear' which comes after Clarkson. But it won't be the same Top Gear and it has absolutely no guarantee of being as successful has the recent version of Top Gear was.

The brand will carry on, yes. The program won't. So I guess it depends which you think people actually care about, the spirit and style of the show, or the logo that pops up in the opening credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    However, taking a thread off-topic is not helping those who simply want to discuss, or read about the thread topic.
    Threads always wander off topic. It's inevitable. Someone getting irate about off topic discussion only draws attention to the diversion. Best to ignore it I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    The show will come back hopefully with the affable, charming James May as lead-host (he's always been the better presenter of the three as proven across his other programmes), Hammond and some other amusing car-nut - Perhaps this could be a different person every series in an extension of the guest-host approach taken by HIGNFY. That way the likes of Coogan, Rowan Atkinson, Johnny Vaughan, Chris Evans etc wouldn't feel pressured to be the centre of the show and it wouldn't mean they'd have to commit more than a few months to it as opposed to doing it full-time. It'd also mean there was a greater anticipation about each new series to see how the "new guy" would perform. And if one of them was a hit and wanted to stay-on permanently then......
    Highly unlikely May and Hammond will be involved, given what they've said thus far. As for the guest host idea, I can't see that working with Top Gear. How would they do the big adventures on location with a guest host? The chemistry has to be consistent in the current format. you can't change it every week.

Coogan, Evans and Atkinson? All with far too much other commitment. Johnny Vaughan would no doubt take it on but I don't think his style would fit well.