Options

EE - Scott Maslen Rules Out Jack Branning Return

Comments

• Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for telling me Eastenders isn't real life - I've been living a lie about it for years, clearly. :o

Your sarcastic end line aside, I forgot that Jim and Jack's time didn't over-lap more, it felt like it did but that period has kinda meshed together a bit for me, so that makes the absence more understandable, but still regrettable.

I honestly wasn't trying to be sarcastic towards you, honestly!

I was just making the point that Scott and John probably weren't close in real life, as they didn't work together a lot
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    So how are they supposed to explain Jack's absence then? Or will we get the classic "he can't be here, but he sends his love" line?
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    So how are they supposed to explain Jack's absence then? Or will we get the classic "he can't be here, but he sends his love" line?

It's worked well for Michelle Fowler all these years. Why break the mould for Jack Branning, of all characters?
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack's most memorable thing is being the sperminator of the Mitchell women children that's about it.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wasn't trying to be sarcastic towards you, honestly!

I was just making the point that Scott and John probably weren't close in real life, as they didn't work together a lot

Don't worry about it, I get what you mean now. As I said, I thought there was more of an over-lap which would've led to a little more consideration about the return.

I wonder if this would be an opportunity for an unseen return - just Carol or someone saying you just missed Jack because he just had to make a call or had to leave suddenly or something that tells you he is there but we just won't see him. Would that annoy viewers too much though?
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's in a coma like Ronnie. They communicate their love for each other via telekinesis. :D
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this would be an opportunity for an unseen return - just Carol or someone saying you just missed Jack because he just had to make a call or had to leave suddenly or something that tells you he is there but we just won't see him. Would that annoy viewers too much though?

Hmmmm. It could work - though I imagine it would also feel like a cop-out.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a640091/scott-maslen-turns-down-offer-to-return-to-eastenders.html

He said he turned down a offer to return as he felt it was too soon after leaving.

He also said he only took the job to pay the bills so im not sure if he even wanted to be there?

What reason did he have for being in the Bill???? LMAO!!!

I personally am glad he turned it down, what I don't understand is why DTC would ever offer for him to come back! I don't want the Jack and Ronnie love story to be revisited EVER!

The only time Jack should be back is for Jim funeral.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Has anyone seen him on The Royals? He's having an affair with a member of the royal family played by the actor who played Danny Moon :p

That's is vile trash, how that got green lit is anyone's guess still it shows up how abysmal and wooden he really is.
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    what I don't understand is why DTC would ever offer for him to come back!

The only time Jack should be back is for Jim funeral.

And there's your answer. I'm still surprised it needs spelling out to some.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He too arrogant for saying that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he's being snobby.

Just saying it's too soon after leaving, he Still wants to do other stuff.

And them saucy photos are still very HOT
  • Options
    dinbindinbin Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a640091/scott-maslen-turns-down-offer-to-return-to-eastenders.html

He said he turned down a offer to return as he felt it was too soon after leaving.

He also said he only took the job to pay the bills so im not sure if he even wanted to be there?

Last time I read, he was suppose to make it big in Hollywood and that he even got a few films under his belt. I guess that never materialised, he was big as a model in the US though.

I wish he did come back and help Max with his latest f%k up with Baldie Phillip.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,390
    Forum Member
    Scott only ever shared a couple scenes with John Bardon though, as Jack wasnt introduced until after John had a stroke in real life.

So I doubt John Bardon and Scott Maslen ever got to know each other on a personal level.

Yes, Jack was Jim's son on EastEnders, but Eastenders isn't real life.

Yes i was going to say this. Although we were told Jack was Jim's favourite child, we never saw it on screen and Scott won't have the bond with John Bardon that actors like Natalie Cassidy, June Brown, Rudolf Walker and perhaps Jake Wood will have. Therefore, whilst i'm sure Maslan is sad he has died from a humanitarian perspective, there won't be the personal pull to return, especially if he worries it could typecast him again when it is only just receding in the Public's consciousness.

Frankly I don't think it is any great loss and whilst jack may have been Jim's golden child, Jack never seemed that bothered about Jim even when he was alive - going to visit him etc. It was stated that Derek was the only one that reguarly did. Jack is an intrinsically selfish person so him not returning for his father's funeral if it is inconvenient is completely in character for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

He has a disabled daughter living in France. He could be visiting her, maybe she's even poorly so he can't leave her.

Plenty of ways they can explain it really, as i say he didn't bother with him much when he was alive - why change now?

It very much seems to be out of sight, out of mind with Jack.
  • Options
    Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently alot of them take the job to pay the bills...says alot..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is taking a job to pay the bills seen as such a dreadful insult? For many actors they'll rather be on stage but stage work pays really badly. So, they will take a regular gig like a Soap as they have families to support, bills to pay just like everybody else. It doesn't mean they don't work hard to do the job as well as they can whilst they are there and surely that is all that matters. That the finished product on screen is good?

He seems to be saying in the interview that he has encountered people (directors, casting agents I assume) that don't want to hire him because of the soap 'tag'. He's just beginning to shake that and doesn't want to risk going back to square one in their minds after 18 months of trying to get them to change it with a return and i don't blame him for that.

Of course it is possible that he's missing out because he just isn't good enough as the soap tag doesn't seem to have halted people like Kate Kelly, Jo Joyner, even Lacey Turner the 3 years she was away.
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'l be back at some point
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he took the job for needing to pay the bills, otherwise why would he quit 'The Bill'? (no pun intended!) if he was skint. As far as I remember he was on EE pretty soon after he quit 'The Bill'. I'm pretty sure he quit, not axed.

I defiantly preferred Scott on 'The Bill' anyway.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't particular like Maslen and Jack was a wasted character but all he is saying is he is struggling to other work because of EE. Once he has done more acting he can have that on his CV instead. He obviously wants to do other things - and hes at that age when its now or never. Unlike his best friend Sam Womack he is not flooded with offers - and this is because Sam is known for her past work and theatre before EE when Maslen has only done the Bill and EE really. SO he needs to expand his portfolio. He is not ashamed of EE but it seems there are producers etc.. out there that are. That's how I read what he said anyway.

If he goes back now then they will once again associate him with EE.

That's why the likes of Adam Woodyatt, Steve McFadden, Rita SImons etc.. may as well stay where they are because they will struggle to get other work.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TPTB clearly never realised that despite constantly winning the Sexiest Male award at the BSA's, the character was EXTREMELY unpopular, and Scott was a very wooden actor.

It's always a mistake to believe that prevailing views on DS are in any way representative of what the general audience feels.

In fact, after many years of working in TV (albeit not in soap), I find the opposite is usually true.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »

and that they know themselves they are crap actors and won't ever find work elsewhere

How many soap actors have had major success since leaving in a soap in the last several years? Apart from Surranne Jones, Emmett Scanlan and Rob Kazinsky, not many.

Sarah Lancashire is an example of long term success and she left nearly 20 years ago. As of this morning, she bagged her third consecutive acting bafta nomination.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »

That actors are exactly like the rest of us?
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth did they ask him back?

TPTB clearly never realised that despite constantly winning the Sexiest Male award at the BSA's, the character was EXTREMELY unpopular, and Scott was a very wooden actor.

Jack was not a good character. Long-term, he will only be remembered for shagging and impregnating every single blonde Mitchell woman, which isn't a good thing to be remembered for.

Keep him well away.

Even Peggy? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That actors are exactly like the rest of us?

Exactlt.

I've had jobs i only really did for the money. Didn't mean I didn't do them to the best of my ability and deserved every penny i got. I did short change my customers. I do,'t think Maslen short changed us, ie he'd have given a better performance if he were doing it purely for the love of EastEnders.