Options

Chuggers are going contactless

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Apologies if there is another thread. I 'tried' a search.

Also it seems to be an old story but there was a report about it on The One Show earlier.
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1330378/cancer-research-contactless-donations-shop-windows

So instead of hassling you for spare change they now want to hassle you if you don't carry cash.

Also in the report was shops trying to make people round up contactless payments to add any spare to a their charity.

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose that is a good move, its there if people want to donate , you are donating straight to the charity instead of a chugger and their employer getting commission and no one hassles you you choose to donate if you want to.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    That is a really good idea, hope it works out and they make a lot of money. Cancer must be destroyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well apparently you don't get a choice. It's a £2 payment. So if you wanted to give them 20p then it's not your decision to do so.

(AFAIK, I only had it on in the background)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well apparently you don't get a choice. It's a £2 payment. So if you wanted to give them 20p then it's not your decision to do so.

(AFAIK, I only had it on in the background)

They still have boxes in the shop where you can put your 20p , you have a choice as no one is standing outside the shop forcing you to donate by card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    They still have boxes in the shop where you can put your 20p , you have a choice as no one is standing outside the shop forcing you to donate by card.
    I'm not sure if The One Show report was their own 'challenge' but they had traditional chuggers and new non chuggers who go up asking for contactless donations.

So either way you still get hassled.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I think people are more likely to donate, if walking past they just have to swipe, its very easy and quick, going in store takes time if you are on lunch or on your way to work.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also in the report was shops trying to make people round up contactless payments to add any spare to a their charity.
    I've had to use google to find threads.

Why would you round up contactless ? Do they do the same for chip and pin or £10 note?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I've had to use google to find threads.

Why would you round up contactless ? Do they do the same for chip and pin or £10 note?
    They want you to so that they get the 'spare change'. So if you bought something for £2.55 and were paying by card they ask/persuade you to pay £3 instead.

I don't know why. Perhaps at heart they're all shysters.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I think people are more likely to donate, if walking past they just have to swipe, its very easy and quick, going in store takes time if you are on lunch or on your way to work.

I wouldn't use my card to some random person in the street who just happened to be wearing branded clothing. They could really be anybody.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't use my card to some random person in the street who just happened to be wearing branded clothing. They could really be anybody.

Exactly I do not give to these young smiling chuggers who accost you in the street. Or when they come to your front door and wanting you to sign up a DD. I refuse to do this and I will shut my front door in their faces.

I will gladly give to collectors with old fashioned collecting tins but thats all.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is awful. I can't tell them I don't carry cash on me anymore. Urg.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also it seems to be an old story but there was a report about it on The One Show earlier.
    http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1330378/cancer-research-contactless-donations-shop-windows

So instead of hassling you for spare change they now want to hassle you if you don't carry cash.

They should ban chuggers.
    I wouldn't round up my bill.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it certainly is better than the students who sign you up for £20 a month deal, minus the commission for the company who employs them, to chug on behalf of whichever charity is paying them that week.

anything that goes direct to the charity is better, it might look a bit odd however, and I wonder how many will understand them, or feel safe using them.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Whatever they do I'll still tell them to chug off.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuggers are best avoided at all costs.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    RiDsTeR wrote: »

I don't get why people make up excuses when they actually have no intention of donating, because then the other person may try and help you solve that issue by suggesting other ways you could donate. If I was collecting money and you said you don't carry cash, I'd think that you maybe did want to donate but couldn't because of that problem (not having cash at that time) and would suggest other ways you could donate. This would waste your time (because you have no intention of donating) and mine (because I'd probably have targets to meet) so it's in everyones interests if you just told me no straight away that way I know that I should move on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All chuggers can just f*** off. A despicable practice that should be banned everywhere.

Same for door to door collecting, and phone calls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    All chuggers can just f*** off. A despicable practice that should be banned everywhere.

Yes to all ban all cold calling.
    What about the charity ads on television.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    So just ignore them like the majority of people do. :cool:
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member

Couldn't agree with you more. :cool:
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Yes to all ban all cold calling.
    What about the charity ads on television.

The ads are ok, you don't have to watch them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever they do I'll still tell them to chug off.

At the end of the day its you're money yours to do what you like with. if you do not want to give to charity you should not be made to feel bad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ads are ok, you don't have to watch them

I fast forward ads, put from sky news which i watch live.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told they'd get £20 for every new direct debit signup. I'd like a card that when I tap it, just gives them a sound like a whoopee cushion. *paaarp*
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's bad enough when they're standing in the middle of a main city centre street, then they walk over to meet you even though you've already stated clearly by veering that you don't want anything to do with them....

But when they stand right next to the doorway of your favourite shops, and wait for the customers to come back out before making their move... oh hell no! >:(>:(>:(