Options

The issue of transgendered children

NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen a good deal of reportage on recent cases/studies of transgendered children. Not sure if it's just coincident articles I've come across but it appears to be something of hot topic.

I've watched/read plenty of testimony from post/pre-op transgenders, and many do cite mental conflict/confusion during their formative years.

But even with the best psychiatry, can we reall apply the transgender label to children as old as 4, 5, 6? Is this the correct way to handle such cases?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it will be no surprise if one of my grandsons is trans when he`s grown, he`s always preferred to play with the girls, he`s into barbie, frozen etc and rough and tumble leaves him cold, if he`s indoors he`s in a frock of his mum`s with a hoody for long hair. he`s six, never been any different.

we all are just happy to allow him to be whoever he is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way it should be handled is the way it is handled, with support and education for the whole family, and no irrevocable decisions being made. If the child is still very sure as they hit the years of puberty, puberty may be delayed, to give them longer to make a definite commitment. If they change their mind, they will go through puberty a little late. If they don't change their mind, they will be spared the anguish (particularly acute for transgender women) of developing irreversible masculine changes to their body and voice.

The reason children are offered support from a young age is the truly terrifying rate of attempted suicide in transgender teenagers. The single biggest factor, by far, in avoiding this is to allow the child to grow up in a supportive family that respects their identity and does not treat it as shameful.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Transgenderism needs to be recognized early on so that intervention can happen before puberty as it is easier to change biological gender before then rather than after.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transgenderism needs to be recognized early on so that intervention can happen before puberty as it is easier to change biological gender before then rather than after.
    Agreed - my only reservation however is whether the process 'takes over'; potentially normalising something which may not really apply by the time they are older - but by then he child knows nothing else and is unquestioningly moving forward with the treatment.

I suppose what I am trying to say is, where is the balance between the child knowing his/her mind, and simply having uncommonly feminine/masculine traits? Are we happy the existing process accounts for this possibility?
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Are these children actually "transgendered" or are they just camp boys and tomboys? It seems an extremely major label to put on a child at a young age, when it may well be just a phase.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I watched that Louis Theroux documentary on it...

I like Louis Theroux...

This post should probably be in the TV forum...
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The emphasis should surely be placed on not making gender identity such a big thing. This is what makes people think they don't fit in and leads to rejection. A child who is happier identifying with the other gender will be oblivious this is a problem unless someone labels it as such.

Attempting to identify transgender children could lead to more problems than it solves. We should give support and advice to parents of children who are potentially in the transgender group.
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand being wary of a child being "labelled" at a young age, but on the other hand it's not always as simple as "wait till they're 18." For some kids, going through puberty into a body they don't want is intensely traumatic and can make them suicidal. They may not be considered old enough to make other choices about their bodies, but they are old enough to decide to end their lives.

I also think that comparing a child's gender confusion to them wanting to dress up as Batman or Cinderella or something clearly fictional is extremely ignorant
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand being wary of a child being "labelled" at a young age, but on the other hand it's not always as simple as "wait till they're 18." For some kids, going through puberty into a body they don't want is intensely traumatic and can make them suicidal. They may not be considered old enough to make other choices about their bodies, but they are old enough to decide to end their lives.

I also think that comparing a child's gender confusion to them wanting to dress up as Batman or Cinderella or something clearly fictional is extremely ignorant

I also don't think the toys a child plays with says what gender they want to be. I'm a bir concerned that a child may not fully understand what they're asking.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think with pretty much every transgender person I've spoken to, they have all said they knew something was different when they were really young, although they couldn't necessarily identify it as being with their gender at the time, but with hindsight they could. Obviously some do know from the off, that is clear.

I think it's just one of those things you kind of have to take the person's word for. I haven't lived their reality, so I couldn't comment on how they thought and felt.

I think it's treated just fine as it is, as long as kids have access and support straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member

i`m not sure if you are referring to me but my grandchild identifies with girls and not boys, always has, gets teased at school by the boys and is aware that he doesn`t fit in with them.
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I also don't think the toys a child plays with says what gender they want to be. I'm a bir concerned that a child may not fully understand what they're asking.

I agree. I suppose there are varying degrees: there's a difference between a boy who wants to play with dolls or wear his mum's heels, and a boy who tries to cut his willy off because he knows it doesn't "belong." Or a girl who likes getting muddy and won't wear a dress versus a girl who keeps telling her parents from an early age that she knows she is a boy. But those are just two ends of a scale so to speak, it's not always that clear-cut ...
    i`m not sure if you are referring to me but my grandchild identifies with girls and not boys, always has, gets teased at school by the boys and is aware that he doesn`t fit in with them.

No, I wasn't. But when I see online articles about gender identity in kids, someone always comments saying that it's no different to a child thinking they want to be a fictional character (and/or bringing up apocryphal stories of the mentally ill thinking they're Napoleon or Marilyn Monroe or something.) I don't think that's an accurate comparison in any way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. I suppose there are varying degrees: there's a difference between a boy who wants to play with dolls or wear his mum's heels, and a boy who tries to cut his willy off because he knows it doesn't "belong." Or a girl who likes getting muddy and won't wear a dress versus a girl who keeps telling her parents from an early age that she knows she is a boy. But those are just two ends of a scale so to speak, it's not always that clear-cut ...

No, I wasn't. But when I see online articles about gender identity in kids, someone always comments saying that it's no different to a child thinking they want to be a fictional character (and/or bringing up apocryphal stories of the mentally ill thinking they're Napoleon or Marilyn Monroe or something.) I don't think that's an accurate comparison in any way

ah yes, i see what you mean, no i totally agree with you, my charlie does know he`s different, it`s not just dress up i don`t think. he gets very upset because the boys at school laugh at him and tease.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm.. a bit dubious about that. It's kind of a biology vs psychology thing. So there's the classical biological differentiation by chromosome, internal/external genitalia and hormones. So far, so simple as it's usually easy to figure out biological gender early on. Then you get gender identity, which can be more controversial. So it's easier to change physical gender pre-puberty, but then puberty gives you that hormone surge that reinforces the biological/physical identity. But we can stop that with drugs and surgery.

I'm dubious about how sure a child can be about their gender identity pre-puberty given the pretty drastic consequences long before maturity.

And by way of background, I was into body modification of the more extreme kind and came across the idea of gender nullification. So having all the standard sexual characteristics removed and becoming effectively asexual. Which is quite a bold move when there's so much gender politics around, even to a point where most of my friends reject the 'neutrois' label & prefer being nulls.

And a couple of them were born intersex. So in the bad'ol days, the kids were assigned a gender based on the closest biological norm. Which was sometimes wrong and luckily many countries have banned. Now it's left until the people can make a more informed choice about their own biological/gender identity.. but usually that's post-puberty.

So although it may be easier pre-puberty, I wonder if kids are rushing (or being rushed) into choices they don't necessarily understand.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would allow my child to be themselves, I'm not fussed if that goes against the norm.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didnt realize i was trans until i was 19. i wish i knew sooner. not that i would of helped.

i always knew 'something' was wrong. looking back, it all makes sense.

trans people need to deal with it before puberty.

puberty is the enemy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem with kids is that surely some little boys will think that because they're only interested in things girls like then they must be a girl too (and vice versa). Not because they really know they are but because they are not like any other boys?

I just worry people may have good intentions but end up labeling a kid who is really just less feminine/masculine than average. For example as a child I would wear boys clothes and cry if I had to wear a skirt or dress. This is more accepted for girls but if a little boy only wanted to wear a dress, is it possible people could start asking questions and making assumptions? Then the kid has his idea reinforced and is lead down a path
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    i didnt realize i was trans until i was 19. i wish i knew sooner. not that i would of helped.

i always knew 'something' was wrong. looking back, it all makes sense.

trans people need to deal with it before puberty.

puberty is the enemy.

Isn't the best way for families,schools and other professionals to work together to find the best path for the child at any given time - I listened to a lovely piece on Radio 4 the other day about a girl about 8 who had a 'transitioning day' at school... the teachers, a transgender charity and the parents worked together to ensure that she was ready... that her classmates and teachers were ready.. and it went off perfectly. The little girl is happy and being supported in readiness for the next steps as she grows older. It was right for her at that age, but for other people it might be right later or earlier.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I watched that Louis Theroux documentary on it...

I like Louis Theroux...

This post should probably be in the TV forum...

No it should not, his doc was not the subject of this thread.

I used to play with a dolls house when I was really small, It does not mean you want to be a girl. I think some parents are perhaps jumping the gun because they want attention, and are not taking into account the Childs welfare. Sounds bad but I suspect it goes on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boofie wrote: »
    I think the problem with kids is that surely some little boys will think that because they're only interested in things girls like then they must be a girl too (and vice versa). Not because they really know they are but because they are not like any other boys?

I just worry people may have good intentions but end up labeling a kid who is really just less feminine/masculine than average. For example as a child I would wear boys clothes and cry if I had to wear a skirt or dress. This is more accepted for girls but if a little boy only wanted to wear a dress, is it possible people could start asking questions and making assumptions? Then the kid has his idea reinforced and is lead down a path

Speaking to trans people I have learned that it simply isn't like being a 'tom-boy' etc. I was a tom-boy and know what that feels like and it seems to be nothing at all like the experiences my trans friends describe. I always knew I was a girl... I just wanted to play with boys toys and be more adventurous - I think trans is very different and with the right support a lot more children will be a lot happier if they are allowed to be who they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    No it should not, his doc was not the subject of this thread.

I used to play with a dolls house when I was really small, It does not mean you want to be a girl. I think some parents are perhaps jumping the gun because they want attention, and are not taking into account the Childs welfare. Sounds bad but I suspect it goes on.

i used to play with boys toys. that doesnt mean im not trans.

i also read comic books. and im not the only transwoman to do so....
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    i used to play with boys toys. that doesnt mean im not trans.

i also read comic books. and im not the only transwoman to do so....

No, But I am saying as a child, its just a toy at that young age.

Modern parents seem to see their child pick up a Barbie doll at two years old and assume they are in the wrong body.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew a little boy who was very girly when he was young. Played with ' girl's toys ' , and had a doll's house for a Christmas present when he was six because he desperately wanted one. As he grew older, he had more female friends than male, and came out as gay to his family when he was 14. Nobody was really surprised. But when asked if he ever wished that he'd been born a girl / or does he think he's been born in the wrong body, he would always vehemently deny that. He is perfectly happy being a man, and he's a very handsome manly looking man as well ! Imagine then if his parents had taken him to a doctor all those years ago, and gone down the route of changing his gender ? Seeing as he's perfectly happy as a man now it would have been a complete mistake wouldn't it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I knew a little boy who was very girly when he was young. Played with ' girl's toys ' , and had a doll's house for a Christmas present when he was six because he desperately wanted one. As he grew older, he had more female friends than male, and came out as gay to his family when he was 14. Nobody was really surprised. But when asked if he ever wished that he'd been born a girl / or does he think he's been born in the wrong body, he would always vehemently deny that. He is perfectly happy being a man, and he's a very handsome manly looking man as well ! Imagine then if his parents had taken him to a doctor all those years ago, and gone down the route of changing his gender ? Seeing as he's perfectly happy as a man now it would have been a complete mistake wouldn't it ?

It isn't really done like that though - and he hadn't expressed a desire to be a girl... something that would be explored if parents did seek advice. It is not a quick process... nor is it necessary to make fundamental decisions from the beginning. What is important is not ignoring the child (as many of my friends were) because that can lead to real suffering and even suicide. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i assume he never thought he was a girl to begin with?......