Options

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Comments

• Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I'm planning on watching all the Marvel movies in order before Ultron. Here's the order I have:

1. Iron Man (2008)
    2. The Incredible Hulk (2008, not nearly as bad as 2003's Hulk)
    3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
    4. Thor (2011)
    5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
    6. The Avengers (2012)
    7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
    8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
    9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2013)
    10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

I was just wondering if Guardians is really part of the Avengers storyline and whether it's necessary to watch it before Ultron? Any ideas? Is there any link there other than them both being Marvel?

As others have already stated it's relevance within the MCU, I'd argue in favour of watching purely because it's brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I'd say the questionable film for inclusion is The Incredible Hulk seeing as The Avengers tells us everything we need to know about the character and he's recast. TIH film itself is irrelevant really.

I'd kind of disagree. I just think he's been James Bonded a bit.... (an example Lazenby Bond's wife dying in OHMSS, Connery avenging her - not quite overtly in DAF, and Moore remembering her in FYEO).

Robert Downey Jr appeared as Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk

The Consultant one shot.

The fight in Harlem got referenced in The Avengers.

I think we're supposed to assume it happened, to don't over think it.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local cinema is doing a 3 film showing

Avengers
    Cap 2
    Avengers 2

Sucks cause no one wants to go with me lol
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

It is just a bit of fun, but that's not even close. More like 85.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I'd kind of disagree. I just think he's been James Bonded a bit.... (an example Lazenby Bond's wife dying in OHMSS, Connery avenging her - not quite overtly in DAF, and Moore remembering her in FYEO).

Robert Downey Jr appeared as Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk

The Consultant one shot.

The fight in Harlem got referenced in The Avengers.

I think we're supposed to assume it happened, to don't over think it.

Oh I know it still happened in the universe, there's a lot of references to back that up as you say. I just think you can skip it and miss nothing - other than Edward Norton's performance which is interesting. I do prefer Ruffalo as Bruce Banner but Edward Norton was a very interesting take on it.

The interesting question is whether Hulk takes place in the MCU, seeing as The Incredible Hulk was originally intended as a loose sequel to that film and there's nothing to contradict it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interesting question is whether Hulk takes place in the MCU, seeing as The Incredible Hulk was originally intended as a loose sequel to that film and there's nothing to contradict it.

I'm pretty certain the origins of the Hulk where different in both movies
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardians is not yet clearly linked to the overall MCU storylines but there are key features of the film - namely Thanos and the Infinity Stones - that seem very likely to be setting up Avengers 3 and 4. Guardians is a major part of the bigger picture of what the MCU will be like in 3-4 years time and Avengers 2 will most likely make some step in that direction so Guardians is definitely an important inclusion.

I'd say the questionable film for inclusion is The Incredible Hulk seeing as The Avengers tells us everything we need to know about the character and he's recast. TIH film itself is irrelevant really.

Thanks Doc, that clears it up. As it happens, I started watching from the list last night, and my copy of TIH doesn't actually work, so i've had to skip it anyway. :)

Wampa1 - thanks, the reason I asked is because I watched GotG just a couple of weeks ago. i may well watch it again though, in the correct order, depending on how far I've got through the list before I get to AoU.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the cast and producers of GOTG said its not really a MCU film but to me that was just talk to get more people to the cinema who hadn't seen any other films, to me it's as much a part of the universe as any other film, it's even linked to Agents of shield what with the Kree and such.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first screening was shown last night (for critics) and it's overwhelmingly positive. It appears that Hawkeye gained a few fans this time around: LINK

Here's a sample of a few reactions (there's no spoilers):

1) AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON is loaded with insane action, great character moments, and funny dialogue. Joss did the impossible again.

2) #AvengersAgeOfUltron is spectacular and a very different film than the first Avengers. Joss leaves on a high.

3) #AvengersAgeOfUltron is darker, weirder and more emotional than the original. It's also the thrill ride to beat this summer.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna see this right after I hand in my last assignments on the 28th. It's the only thing keeping me going :p
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this

• Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad that Hawkeye has a lot of focus in the movie. He's my favourite Avenger! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad that Hawkeye has a lot of focus in the movie. He's my favourite Avenger! :D

yeah my only criticism of the first movie was that Hawkeye was not developed properly .

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Joss Whedon has confirmed he's done with The Avengers after Age of Ultron is released and has said 'it's a young man's game'. He won't be directing or writing Avengers 3: Infinity War Part 1/2.

The Russo Brothers who directed Captain America 2 and are about to direct CA3: Civil War will be directing Avengers 3.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely the writers behind the entire Captain America trilogy plus Thor: The Dark World will take up writing duties for Infinity War.

Wonder what Whedon will move onto next.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbfc put up consumer advice for Age of Ultron (mild spoilers)

MARVEL AVENGERS: THE AGE OF ULTRON is a sci-fi adventure in which the team of super-heroes must reassemble when an experiment into artificial intelligence threatens to destroy the Earth. Rated 12A for moderate fantasy violence, threat, occasional bloody moments
    There are frequent scenes of moderate fantasy violence in which various characters - some of whom have special powers - fight each other or battle an army of robots. Action includes use of guns, futuristic weaponry, punches, kicks, a bow and arrow, and a hammer.

There are occasional moments in which characters are killed or injured, with some sight of blood on their clothes. There is also a scene in which a man's arm is cut off, although this occurs out of shot and no bloody detail is seen. In one sequence a photograph of a dead man is briefly visible with the word 'Peace' written in blood on the wall behind him.

There are occasional scenes of threat in which civilians are in danger but are soon saved by the Avengers. There are also a series of visions/flashbacks, including those depicting a character being wheeled down a corridor on a gurney and placed next to a table displaying operating implements. The context for these scenes is later explained.

There is occasional use of mild bad language ('bastard', 'shit', 'dick', 'son of a bitch', 'piss') and innuendo, including a joke about a man lifting a heavy object not being able to "get it up". In a one scene, a woman reveals that she was 'sterilised' in the past.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be going to see this film for one reason only - James Spader! Doesn't seem like my sort of film but I'll see anything James is involved in, as always. Who knows, I might enjoy it anyway. It has a good cast. :-)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film is 2hrs and 20mins long.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The film is 2hrs and 20mins long.

So, remember to go to the toilet beforehand! :D Yeah, that is the thing that sort of concerns me a bit - I wonder if the film is too long and has a load of padding and unnecessary scenes.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    bbfc put up consumer advice for Age of Ultron (mild spoilers)

MARVEL AVENGERS: THE AGE OF ULTRON is a sci-fi adventure in which the team of super-heroes must reassemble when an experiment into artificial intelligence threatens to destroy the Earth. Rated 12A for moderate fantasy violence, threat, occasional bloody moments
    There are frequent scenes of moderate fantasy violence in which various characters - some of whom have special powers - fight each other or battle an army of robots. Action includes use of guns, futuristic weaponry, punches, kicks, a bow and arrow, and a hammer.

There are occasional moments in which characters are killed or injured, with some sight of blood on their clothes. There is also a scene in which a man's arm is cut off, although this occurs out of shot and no bloody detail is seen. In one sequence a photograph of a dead man is briefly visible with the word 'Peace' written in blood on the wall behind him.

There are occasional scenes of threat in which civilians are in danger but are soon saved by the Avengers. There are also a series of visions/flashbacks, including those depicting a character being wheeled down a corridor on a gurney and placed next to a table displaying operating implements. The context for these scenes is later explained.

There is occasional use of mild bad language ('bastard', 'shit', 'dick', 'son of a bitch', 'piss') and innuendo, including a joke about a man lifting a heavy object not being able to "get it up". In a one scene, a woman reveals that she was 'sterilised' in the past.

No doubt this parts will be edited on the DVD, like the awful UK release of Avengers Assemble. If it does get cut for DVD, then I will buy the import version like I did previously.

Anyhow rant over and back to the film in hand, I'd best get my tickets for the midnight IMAX showing soonish. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any in depth spoilers out there yet? I'm not sure when I'll be able to see the film so if anyone could like me to any spoilery reviews I'd be grateful.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ Not sure how spoilery I'd rate it, but Screendaily have just put their review up. Best read it before it's locked away in their subscription vaults.

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/avengers-age-of-ultron-review/5086407.article?blocktitle=The-Latest&contentID=598

In short: Thumbs up, but not without problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw it last night in IMAX 3D (3D not so good this time ) .

this one is harder to review than the first film . the first film was just obviously great fun and whizzed by , this one does drag a bit . There are some insane action sequences , some amazing shots showing everyone doing everything etc. But there's also a bit too much of characters smashing each other thru buildings .

the story - well they delve into the heroes' psyches and emotions more but it's not that successful .

Ultron is a bit of an obvious baddie , he didn't have much to him .
    Iron Man - I am thinking we've had a bit too much of him lately , the others should be the focus a bit more .

.the best bit is - - -
    when Vision turns up , I had no idea he was in the movie or who was playing him , but it's an inspired bit of casting and he's just terrific , straight out the gate , plus he's very different to all the others .

oh - and there are some brilliantly funny moments and one-liners .
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing a midnight showing tonight (in 3D as it's on a bigger screen).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing this tomorrow. Reviews are looking promising.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to watching this at the midnight screening later on, has been awhile since I have done one of these, so had a cheeky sleep earlier. Roll on midnight :D