Options

Eccleston left because they wanted him to....

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
drop his northern accent

Comments

• Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    drop his northern accent

Where did you get that idea? :confused: That's not true at all! In an interview back in 2005, Chris said that the reason he was leaving, was because he did not want to be typecast. In other words people only remembering him for Doctor Who and nothing else. He was getting bored with the role as well.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston has now suggested he quit the show after falling out with bosses over his decision to play the character with a strong northern accent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3037641/Was-Doctor-northern-BBC-asks-Eccleston-Actor-suggests-fell-bosses-decision-play-character-accent.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, the Daily Mail. 100% reliable, 100% true.

There's probably something to it, but the DM have likely exaggerated it massively.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah clearly after doing the whole first(successful) season with a Northern accent they would tell him to drop it for the 2nd.
    Peter must be working with a voice coach right now to get over that Scottish nonsense we had to put up with;-)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the Daily Mail. 100% reliable, 100% true.

There's probably something to it, but the DM have likely exaggerated it massively.

Exactly - CE may well have said something about his accent being a little contentious, but I'd be willing to bet good money that he never actually said that the production team wanted to make him drop his accent.
    The Daily Mail will have twisted, exaggerated and distorted his actual words to fit their hateful, hate-filled agenda. The Mail is perhaps the nastiest of the UK tabloids. And that's saying something.
  • Options
    ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Meanwhile, Eccleston briefly spoke about his time on Doctor Who, explaining that one of his main aims when taking the role was to move the character away from "received pronunciation" to prove that "we shouldn't make a correlation between intellect and accent".

"I hope I'll be remembered as one of the Doctors. I have no ill feeling towards the character or the series. I don't watch it and am not keen to discuss it because I want this to be about Safe House. That's my mortgage," he said.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a641613/christopher-eccleston-i-still-feel-insecure-as-a-working-class-actor.html#ixzz3XGtjUnLU
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Chris give an interview to the Daily Mail?

I'd have thought he had too much integrity to do that.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester is a lot farther South than Scotland, so Capaldi must have an email winging its way to him right now to put on an Essex accent for his second series.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea? :confused: That's not true at all! In an interview back in 2005, Chris said that the reason he was leaving, was because he did not want to be typecast. In other words people only remembering him for Doctor Who and nothing else. He was getting bored with the role as well.

A BBC issued statement said this not CE.

The BBC later apologised for saying it.
    In an initial statement announcing his exit in March 2005, the BBC said the actor was afraid of being typecast and had found the series gruelling.
    The corporation later accepted the statement was incorrect and that it had not spoken to Eccleston before releasing it.
    "They handled it very badly but they issued an apology and I dropped it," he added.

http://www.bbc.com/news/10312426
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as how he has a habit of hanging up on people who want to talk about Dr. Who I doubt this is true. However I like this quote:

Asked about his controversial departure from the programme, he told Radio Times: ‘I wanted to move him away from RP [received pronunciation] for the first time because we shouldn’t make a correlation between intellect and accent, although that still needs addressing.

The reverse is true surely these days? The behaviour of Prince Charles over his life (Homeopathy pushing, some clueless meddling in politics etc. although with hindsight he was bang on the money with organic farming), some of Prince Harry's youthful behaviour (awful school results and that Nazi fancy dress costumes, although he's a lot more "proper" these days) and characters such as Tim "nice but dim" have created the stereotype that people speaking with RP are a bunch of morons.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester is a lot farther South than Scotland, so Capaldi must have an email winging its way to him right now to put on an Essex accent for his second series.

Ah, but for southerners, the North starts at the Watford gap and goes on to the Scottish border, but no further. North of the border is not the North; it's Scotland. Scotland may be north of the North, but it is not part of the North.

If it can be argued that lots of planets have a North, then surely it can also be argued that lots of planets have Highlands. And Valleys, come to that. Time for a Welsh Doctor?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nicked from the Radio Times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Eccleston himself. Nothing more needs to be said.

“I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

“I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of shit. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and– we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.

“If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure – if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself, because it’ll be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you’ll become– you’ve got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.

“You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

“So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bullshitted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.”

http://badwilf.co.uk/eccleston-explains-why-he-left-doctor-who
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Ah, but for southerners, the North starts at the Watford gap and goes on to the Scottish border, but no further. North of the border is not the North; it's Scotland. Scotland may be north of the North, but it is not part of the North.

If it can be argued that lots of planets have a North, then surely it can also be argued that lots of planets have Highlands. And Valleys, come to that. Time for a Welsh Doctor?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2jn1WW_i9wg/hqdefault.jpg :D
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or a Welsh Valleyard?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. Nice try at being snide though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    After doing one series then surely it wouldn't work if he changed his accent, and without regenerating.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Actually, that's outdated... I used to come from the North - Lincoln. But no longer, it is North of Watford Gap, but it is South of Yorkshire, which is where The North starts... And Greater Manchster and Merseyside.

Above the Watford Gap and below The North is now all The Midlands!

Sorry to go off-topic...

Back on topic - so what was the emphasis in the script then*? Did CE strong-arm them into including it? Could that have been the start of some bad blood perhaps?

Rose Tyler: If you are an alien how come you sound like you're from the North?
    The Doctor: Lots of planets have a North!
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote now: is the dredging up of improbable theories about a career decision someone made a decade ago better or worse than more election coverage?
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,061
    Forum Member
    A different version of events that I have heard from many different sources:

CE was indecisive as to whether he would return for the Christmas special and season 2. The "will he be back, won't he be back" dilly-dallying went on for months and started to put production at risk.

So eventually BBC Wales made the decision for him, thanked him for his time and effort and cast David Tennant as his replacement.

The original end to "The Parting of the Ways" had the 9th Doctor throw himself from the TARDIS into the time vortex after absorbing all the temporal energy from Rose. It was quickly re-shot with the regeneration.

So, perhaps, a different reason why CE holds something of a grudge against the show.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less about why he left the show anymore because it's clear he didn't care about it in the first place anyway. By far the rudest and most unlikeable person to play the Doctor.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I understand CE's point about RP he does come across as having a bit of a chip on his shoulder sometimes.

It is true that the acting profession is stuffed with privately educated southerners and that breaking into the acting profession is more difficult for some (especially those without parents and good connections already in the business). On the plus side having a real northern accent can only be a bonus for some parts so it's swings and roundabouts.

My guess is that it was more to do with a clash or personalities than his accent that he departed the show. David Tennant was always keen, obviously willing to do any accent they wanted and take part in any promotion of the show. It was probably more to do with his attitude than anything else.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Vote now: is the dredging up of improbable theories about a career decision someone made a decade ago better or worse than more election coverage?

How is it an improbable theory when a poster above has posted a transcript of what Chris Eccleston said in an interview?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    My guess is that it was more to do with a clash or personalities than his accent that he departed the show.
    I think the point he's making is that they were one and the same thing. As he says, "his face didn't fit".

I think it's right to have a chip on your shoulder when you see things that need changing.