Options

Back in time for dinner BBC2 8pm

Comments

• Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Weren't they actually washed in water at that time whereas they are now washed in other liquids to kill bugs or whatever. Also I don't think they pressurised the bags with CO2(?) now.

Bagged salad is sold as ready to eat and still has oxygen excluded. When I open a bag I always try to remove as much air as possible and re-seal it to make it keep better. On the other hand, prepared salads are wasteful and it's better to make it yourself (IMO).
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I know this programme focuses on the food, but they should have mentioned the Internet and let us hear the modem sound at least for a bit.

No problem, listen to the modem sound here and an interesting explanation of how the sounds are formed.
    http://youtu.be/AgqEIp2YmtE
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That idiot woman who repeatedly said some people were 'time poor' - no, dear, they're busy. That's 'busy'. Not 'time poor'. Grow up and drop the jargon.

Is there Such a word or say time poor because I have not heard that before unless she made it up:confused:
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Wow, Rochelle smiled a few times tonight and she looked really nice!

She has the mouth of a fish and ought to be circling a bowl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Is there Such a word or say time poor because I have not heard that before unless she made it up:confused:

Yes, there's such a word, but it's yet another silly and completely unneeded neologism that's only loved by people who want to be incomprehensible to ordinary viewers. Why not just say that people were busier at work and therefore had less time to prepare and cook food? Never confuse when you can clarify.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »

No it's not a new phrase, you can see that only one FM is taking exception to it.
    Probably a phrase used a lot at the time, hence it been used so many times in this episode.
    Google it see what comes up, might be interesting?

Edit: I must say I enjoyed that, don't think I stopped smiling from beginning to end, entertaining light program, downloading it now, might watch the download of the 70's or 80's later.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yes, there's such a word, but it's yet another silly and completely unneeded neologism that's only loved by people who want to be incomprehensible to ordinary viewers. Why not just say that people were busier at work and therefore had less time to prepare and cook food? Never confuse when you can clarify.

BIB You don't give 'ordinary viewers' much credit do you, you've seriously got tickets on yourself.
    'Time poor' not hard to work out is it, the context in which it's used should remove any possible confusion.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chipsaunt wrote: »
    Bagged salad is sold as ready to eat and still has oxygen excluded. When I open a bag I always try to remove as much air as possible and re-seal it to make it keep better. On the other hand, prepared salads are wasteful and it's better to make it yourself (IMO).

Just had a quick search and read that there are reports of them being washed in water that is not replenished very often i.e. dirty. Also acid is added to limit bacterial growth and high levels of chlorine to keep the water 'clean'.
    Miss Blythman also claims that food that is labelled as ‘packaged in a protective atmosphere’ actually means that it has been ‘gassed’ in modified air in order to extend its shelf life.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no sign of a visit to the chippie :(
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

As if anyone at the BBC eats Fish & Chips :p
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,647
    Forum Member

That's a seriously offensive comment and I've reported it...
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Did this in either the 1950's or 1960's programme, I'm sorry you missed it.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a quick search and read that there are reports of them being washed in water that is not replenished very often i.e. dirty. Also acid is added to limit bacterial growth and high levels of chlorine to keep the water 'clean'.

Quote:
    Miss Blythman also claims that food that is labelled as ‘packaged in a protective atmosphere’ actually means that it has been ‘gassed’ in modified air in order to extend its shelf life.

They had a OMG! they're POISONING US!! type report on this recently on Radio 4's PM. Someone then wrote in to point out that the gases used are carbon dioxide and nitrogen - which makes up over 75% of the air we breath anyway;-)

Being single, I'm quite a fan of salad bags as its the only practical way for me to have mixed leaves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    They had a OMG! they're POISONING US!! type report on this recently on Radio 4's PM. Someone then wrote in to point out that the gases used are carbon dioxide and nitrogen - which makes up over 75% of the air we breath anyway;-)

Being single, I'm quite a fan of salad bags as its the only practical way for me to have mixed leaves.

I use them but I wash them well, it was the washing that I was pointing out rather than the use of CO2 in the bags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    That's a seriously offensive comment and I've reported it...

Ditto, difficult to understand how some people get some sort of thrill from making remarks like that.
  • Options
    justannejustanne Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto, difficult to understand how some people get some sort of thrill from making remarks like that.

Me too. I'm offended on Rochelle's behalf.

I don't understand people who miss the point of the programme completely, and focus on making insulting remarks about the people who volunteered. Time to grow up.
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    That idiot woman who repeatedly said some people were 'time poor' - no, dear, they're busy. That's 'busy'. Not 'time poor'. Grow up and drop the jargon.

Pot Kettle thing going on here. Move along folks
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved this series. The Robshaws are such a nice family; supportive of each other and enthusiastic about the concept. I'm becoming so sentimental as I get older - I had a tear in my eye on the last evening of the decade, seeing the TV countdown and hearing 'Millennium'. :blush:

Favourite moments of this episode: Rochelle and the girls singing along to Britney in the people carrier whilst Fred had his hands over his ears … and the sheer pleasure they found in eating fresh-from-the-field veg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB You don't give 'ordinary viewers' much credit do you, you've seriously got tickets on yourself.
    'Time poor' not hard to work out is it, the context in which it's used should remove any possible confusion.

No idea what 'tickets on yourself' means, but it shows what kind of vocabulary you prefer, which is why a simple agreement to differ rather than your own attempt at an abusive put down would have sufficed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not a new phrase, you can see that only one FM is taking exception to it.
    /QUOTE]

Fantastic - so the test of any assertion is how many DS posters echo it?
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,647
    Forum Member
    No idea what 'tickets on yourself' means, but it shows what kind of vocabulary you prefer, which is why a simple agreement to differ rather than your own attempt at an abusive put down would have sufficed.

You don't like "abusive put downs" directed at yourself, yet you're happy to say a complete stranger has a "mouth like a fish" and "should be circling a bowl"?! :(
  • Options
    red29red29 Posts: 318
    Forum Member

Grow up and drop the abuse.

I wonder what Rochelle would have to say about you and your looks? Probably nothing because she doesn't seem as if she gets her kicks or boosts her own self esteem from criticising other people.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    The house looks just as it would look nowadays.

That's what I thought too. It was not indicative of the 90s at all, all that Dualit stuff for a start is very modern. You only have to watch re-runs of The Price Is Right to see that the in colour for kettles (which were plastic), toasters etc was in fact bottle green or maybe sunshine yellow.

Also wasn't there still a lot of pine kitchen cabinets, albeit with that stripped pine look, including a few glass panelled ones with back-lighting.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Wow, Rochelle smiled a few times tonight and she looked really nice!

She had a tough part to play in all the episodes and did it well All credit to her.

As for future foods. Maybe there will be a relaunch of Cadbury's Smash now that Americans have taken over the company.;-)
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    That's what I thought too. It was not indicative of the 90s at all, all that Dualit stuff for a start is very modern. You only have to watch re-runs of The Price Is Right to see that the in colour for kettles (which were plastic), toasters etc was in fact bottle green or maybe sunshine yellow.

Also wasn't there still a lot of pine kitchen cabinets, albeit with that stripped pine look, including a few glass panelled ones with back-lighting.

Actually, my kitchen (which I had done in about 1994) looked pretty much like that one in the programme last night. It was a very light wood (maple) with black granite and corian worktops, stainless steel appliances (including an American-style fridge-freezer), and pull-out larder units. And Dualit kettle and toaster (I still have that), and the Alessia lemon juicer (which the dog knocked off the worktop and broke, sadly).

So not that out of order.

One thing I puzzled about, though, was the assertion that the gastropub started in the 90s - I worked in two in the mid 1980s and they weren't by any means unique then.