Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Something that always irritates me (apologies if it's been mentioned, haven't read the entire thread :blush:) is when Rachel refers to one of her sisters as having a "masculine energy", but in later episodes we obviously see them both and neither of them could be described as masculine!

It has been discussed

Rachel could have fallen out with Mr Waltham, because she leaves for Ralph Lauren in the same series and gets into even more trouble there!
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as Mr Waltham might hate Rachel for what she did to Emily, she has done absolutely nothing wrong in the workplace, so would surely have no grounds for taking any action against Rachel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    As much as Mr Waltham might hate Rachel for what she did to Emily, she has done absolutely nothing wrong in the workplace, so would surely have no grounds for taking any action against Rachel.

True, but they would have fallen out

Two examples of Ross being a bad father; when he is making out with Emily and doesn't seem bothered that Ben might walk in or about letting him in and making him sweep

It is odd how often Emily goes from London to New York

Why was there a spare wedding dress for Rachel? Had Monica and Phoebe just got a spare one for her?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this fits to the theme of the thread but it always annoyed me how Monica became so whiny and annoying in the later seasons. All of her bad traits were exaggerated for the comedy value and it ruined the character. She was my favourite character in the early seasons as she was really likeable and funny at the same time. Joey also became incredibly dumb when he wasn't like that in the early seasons. Rachel and Phoebe's character developments were the only ones that really felt natural imo.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    True, but they would have fallen out

Two examples of Ross being a bad father; when he is making out with Emily and doesn't seem bothered that Ben might walk in or about letting him in and making him sweep

It is odd how often Emily goes from London to New York

Why was there a spare wedding dress for Rachel? Had Monica and Phoebe just got a spare one for her?

It was the one she wore when she left Barry at the alter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the one she wore when she left Barry at the alter

Would make sense, but she might have rented that anyway
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Would make sense, but she might have rented that anyway

Oh no "the Rachel Green, Queen of Long Island " could never wear a rented dress...
    But it is weird she kept it all that time Id have sold it long ago... Maybe it was a bit muck from climbing out windows and running in the rain
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't know if this fits to the theme of the thread but it always annoyed me how Monica became so whiny and annoying in the later seasons. All of her bad traits were exaggerated for the comedy value and it ruined the character. She was my favourite character in the early seasons as she was really likeable and funny at the same time. Joey also became incredibly dumb when he wasn't like that in the early seasons. Rachel and Phoebe's character developments were the only ones that really felt natural imo.

Such matters have been mentioned before.

The episode featuring Phoebe's wedding is the worst for how Monica is portrayed. It has little basis in reality and is just taken to the extreme in the hope that it will be funny. It isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Yea Monicas warmth that made her a sort of mother hen to the group started evaporating as the show went on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the gang would have known Gunther's last name? He attended most parties held by the group yet Chandler had no idea what his last name was
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Surely the gang would have known Gunther's last name? He attended most parties held by the group yet Chandler had no idea what his last name was

Rachel certainly would have as she would have seen it written somewhere or just asked him while she worked there you would assume
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Rachel certainly would have as she would have seen it written somewhere or just asked him while she worked there you would assume

I think that was meant to be a running joke of the show, similar to the Big Bang Theory where Penny's name hasn't been revealed to the viewer, although we're supposed to assume to others know it I presume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

In another episode Gunther gets annoyed with Chandler for making small talk with him. Surely Chandler would know Gunther reasonably well or maybe Gunther just found him annoying

Gunther says to Joshua when he refuses to marry Rachel "you idiot". This is strange as Gunther would be delighted that Rachel was potentially single again
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    A minor gripe, and just a personal opinion, but who in their right mind thought of Alec Baldwin as the optimistic Parker?
    I happen to think Baldwin's a terrific actor, given the right part, but that was the most breathtakingly bad piece of casting I've ever seen. The mans whole demeanour suggests gloom...
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In another episode Gunther gets annoyed with Chandler for making small talk with him. Surely Chandler would know Gunther reasonably well or maybe Gunther just found him annoying

Gunther says to Joshua when he refuses to marry Rachel "you idiot". This is strange as Gunther would be delighted that Rachel was potentially single again

I think that was more of a case of 'you idiot why wouldn't you want to marry Rachel' but I understand where you are coming from. Gunther did say something similar to what you have mentioned to Ross (may have been just after he married Emily) when he said: "Thanks for not marrying Rachel".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A minor gripe, and just a personal opinion, but who in their right mind thought of Alec Baldwin as the optimistic Parker?
    I happen to think Baldwin's a terrific actor, given the right part, but that was the most breathtakingly bad piece of casting I've ever seen. The mans whole demeanour suggests gloom...

No, I think Alec Baldwin as Parker is the only good thing about the dismal season 8. He plays a similar role in Its complicated though that is the worst film ever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was more of a case of 'you idiot why wouldn't you want to marry Rachel' but I understand where you are coming from. Gunther did say something similar to what you have mentioned to Ross (may have been just after he married Emily) when he said: "Thanks for not marrying Rachel".

That line is from the worst best man ever episode when Gunther leaves the bachelor party
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Gunther knows he'd never really get Rachel so he's shocked that Joshua turned her down.

Is there an episode where Ross and Rachel are fighting or something bad happens to Ross and he turns around to see Gunther smirking at hiM?
    Help me out here djfunnyman?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Gunther knows he'd never really get Rachel so he's shocked that Joshua turned her down.

Is there an episode where Ross and Rachel are fighting or something bad happens to Ross and he turns around to see Gunther smirking at hiM?
    Help me out here djfunnyman?

Would that be the episode where Ross is upset with Joey over the proposal misunderstanding and Ross hits a pillar instead of Joey and then Joey hits him in the face because he expects him to instictively duck?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Would that be the episode where Ross is upset with Joey over the proposal misunderstanding and Ross hits a pillar instead of Joey and then Joey hits him in the face because he expects him to instictively duck?
    That sounds right -he turns around in pain to Gunthers grinning face. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have another small gripe, it might just be me though that thinks this.

Whenever I watch TOW the Flashback, the scene where Monica invites Joey in for lemonade and he thinks she is offering sex and strips naked.

Every time I watch this scene, I always feel that Monica delivers the line 'Here's your penis' a split second before she fully turned around to see said penis. I might be wrong but I have seen this scene countless times and I always think the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does sound rushed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought of another one.

In the Nap Partners episode, the Monica/Chandler portion of the episode relates to Monica bumping into Chandler's ex and then Chandler blurting out that he dumped her because she was fat. ( or as he actually said faaaaaaa)

Later on Chandler and Monica go to her apartment so Chandler can apologise. But how on earth do they know where she lives, he wouldn't have seen her for about 15 years.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Telephone book i guess.....at a push
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telephone book i guess.....at a push

Still weird to turn up like that