Options

EE giving all customers portable chargers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    While they may not hold you to these terms and conditions do be aware they exist. Worst thing that can happen is they charge you £5 in 18 months time if you don't hand it back.

It's EE's job to make customers aware that any terms & conditions exist.

As it is, they didn't and I didn't verbally agree to anything or sign anything to say I agreed to any terms.
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Sent a text at 2:30pm, got one back 2 mins later. texted all capitals. Went to EE store at 4pm, only had 6 left but I was the 8th in the queue. I was told they should be getting more in tomorrow.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a massive queue in Nottingham Victoria centre EE shop just. I'm presuming it was for these. I might get one myself when thefuss dies down...
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing was said when mine was picked up either. Just asked for the code and confirmed my phone number and that was it. The text with the code does link to T&C's, maybe they're covered by that.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's EE's job to make customers aware that any terms & conditions exist.

As it is, they didn't and I didn't verbally agree to anything or sign anything to say I agreed to any terms.

Yes they did, in the text they sent you.
  • Options
    Browno01Browno01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Went to Castle Mall Norwich today and picked mine up, along with 5 other people from the office at the same time, had plenty in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does the five pound charge after 18 months work for non EE customers I wonder?
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    How does the five pound charge after 18 months work for non EE customers I wonder?

Exactly, what happens if you leave EE before 18 months? I presume you should take it back as its not yours? If you don't what happens?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot of people at Nottingham Clumber Street around dinner time - got mine today - a bit bigger and slightly less convenient (no integrated cable) than my Powergen 9000 mAh ones, but really light so handier to have in the bottom of my bag!

If I've read there website properly I can get one of my EE Broadband too if I can find a PAYG sim on another network (I'm sure I have a Three one kicking about somewhere - as to having credit on it...)

A couple of them and my Powergen will be rather handy :D

The popularity surly illustrates how many people are bother with battery life though?
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the EE website it's £20 if you lose or damage it :eek: I don't think I'll bother now, I thought it was just £5 if you failed to take reasonable precautions to prevent theft or to keep it in good working order.

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/out-and-about/ee-power
  • Options
    drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see these have now started appearing on ebay now but at least someone is being honest about it, link.

I have a D&P SIM that has some credit left on it so I may pick one up once the hysteria dies down.

The full T&C's for anyone that is interested, link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drabble wrote: »
    I see these have now started appearing on ebay now .

If these are only rented, would you in effect be buying stolen property?

I know it's unlikely the cops would be interested, but even so.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2.3 A Power Bar is made available to you on a free to hire basis, under the terms of this
    agreement, for a maximum of 18 months. After 18 months, the Power Bar must be
    returned to EE and the Service will end.

2.7 When this agreement expires or terminates (for mobile or broadband customer this will
    happen automatically if you chose to cancel your agreement with us for mobile or
    broadband services), you must return the Power Bar to an EE store within 60 days. If you
    don’t you’ll have to pay a charge to compensate us for replacing the Power Bar.
    Currently this is £5. For mobile and broadband customers, this will be applied to your
    bill. If you’re not an existing customer, we’ll contact you using the information supplied
    to us when you joined EE Power and we’ll issue a bill for the cost of replacing the Power
    Bar that has not been returned.

2.8 The Power Bar remains our property, you are responsible for making sure that the
    Power Bar is kept in good working condition and used properly whilst in your care.
    Whilst we remain the owner, you agree:
    2.8.1 that you will not tamper with, disassemble, misuse, neglect or damage the
    Power Bar;
    2.8.2 to take proper care at all times to prevent the loss or theft of the Power Bar;
    2.8.3 not to sell, hire or allow any other person (whether free or for a fee) to use the
    Power Bar,
    nor will you use it as security for a loan or to off-set any debts you
    may have incurred;

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/Help-PDFs/EE%20Power_terms%20and%20conditions_300315.pdf

These Ebay sellers have got a shock coming when they get the bill.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drabble wrote: »
    I see these have now started appearing on ebay now but at least someone is being honest about it, link.

Jesus wept, I see people thinking they'll get 20 quid for their stolen property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very messy this deal. Too much hasske to bother with.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    How the hell can it be too much hassle??
    You get the bar and use it, swap it etc.
    Then after 18 months if you don't want it any more you take it back.
    It appears the deal will continue though so you can just keep going.
    Worst case is it will cost you 5 quid which is cheaper than buying one.
    What's the issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Very messy this deal. Too much hasske to bother with.

I'm beginning to agree, tbh.

A better deal would be to buy the thing upfront at cost (£5-10) and then pay a pound everytime you swap one, with lots of dealers,not just EE shops.

Something similar to the Calor Gas model that has worked for decades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the appeal with being able to swap it anyway? Just charge it yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to agree, tbh.

A better deal would be to buy the thing upfront at cost (£5-10) and then pay a pound everytime you swap one, with lots of dealers,not just EE shops.

Something similar to the Calor Gas model that has worked for decades.

Why the heck would you want to pay £5-£10 when it's free and then £1 to swap it when it's free. You're basically saying you want to throw away your money :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the appeal with being able to swap it anyway? Just charge it yourself.

Charge it while you're walking? You might not be near a USB socket while out and about. Would have thought that was obvious.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Im curious, i have a EE sim card i got a few months ago, i got £5 free credit with the sim card, they dont have any of my details, how would they bill me for the charger when i dont return it in 18 months?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Why the heck would you want to pay £5-£10 when it's free and then £1 to swap it when it's free. You're basically saying you want to throw away your money :confused:

It's only free if you are an EE customer.

If the scheme isn't making EE any money I can't see them sticking with it once the initial publicity benefit has worn off.

I think a charge of a pound a time would keep it viable, and maybe get other outlets involved such as supermarkets or petrol stations. Maybe even National Rail.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except that this is of an unknown quantity, might blow up, and doesn't have an immediate exchange policy at any EE store.

It's not really a rental when there is no ongoing cost. You just have to remember not to throw it away and to return it in 18 months time, if not before

Immediate exchanges are useful if you've run out of power and are not in a position to recharge, if you can pop in and get it swapped over that's nice
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Im curious, i have a EE sim card i got a few months ago, i got £5 free credit with the sim card, they dont have any of my details, how would they bill me for the charger when i dont return it in 18 months?

They won't. It's all bluff and bluster to scare people into not selling them on ebay. No one will ultimately be asked to return them in 18 month's time as they will be worthless.