Options

Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WOW Youve been there! Would you recommend it and how far away is it from the Hollywood walk of fame in terms of walking? When a star dies do you know if it's here or the walk of fame that attracts all the fans placing flowers,tributes candles etc?

Perhaps it's a sign of some kind of sign and you and Marilyn have a deep karma/spiritual connection?! 😉
    The Hollywood walk of Fame is mainly on Holywood Boulevard. You have to cross the Walk of Fame/pavement to get to Grauman's Chinese Theatre. There are literally hundreds of stars on the Walk of Fame and it goes on for miles. I don't know if there is a map of whose star is where but this website may be of help,

http://www.walkoffame.com

Hollywood Boulevard had a reputation as a seedy place to be but recently is supposed to have been cleaned up. It is full of tourists but the further away from Grauman's you get the rougher it becomes. Outside Grauman's you can get a coach tour that allegedly shows you the movie stars homes. If you walk down Hollywood Boulevard from Grauman's there is a sort of shopping mall from where you can see the Hollywood sign.
    There are all sorts of people dressed as characters from movies going up and down and you can get your photo taken with them for a few dollars.
    The rest of LA is just endless freeways really, it has no centre just lots of suburbs.
    I had always want to see the hand and foot prints so that was good and to, in some cases, literally walk in a star's foot steps was exciting.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Some of the best and most enduring things in life come about through serendipity!

How widespread was Christian science practise in Hollywood and did it have many famous followers?
    It seems now to have been supplanted by scientology.
    Awful when religion costs people their lives through refusing treatment. Such a tragic waste.

Being a devout and dedicated agnostic I avoid anything to do with religion, I do know that Joan Crawford was a Christina Scientist, and like Jean Harlow, it didn't help her in the end. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

WOW Youve been there! Would you recommend it and how far away is it from the Hollywood walk of fame in terms of walking? When a star dies do you know if it's here or the walk of fame that attracts all the fans placing flowers,tributes candles etc?

There is an album in my Barbara Group called "Barbara's Hollywood Landmarks" where you can see the photo's that I took of her hand and footprints, her Star, and also photo's of the outside of her home.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    There is an album in my Barbara Group called "Barbara's Hollywood Landmarks" where you can see the photo's that I took of her hand and footprints, her Star, and also photo's of the outside of her home.

Thank you Walter.:)

Is there a specific museum or exhibition, attraction dedicated to the golden era for LA for fans to go and visit? I feel sure if it was promoted properly it would be a good draw? If there isn't I think their missing a trick.

PS Am I right in thinking Doris Day and Elizabeth Taylor dabbled with Christian science for a fair while?

Thank you TRUDI MONK for the link and insight.

Are you tempted to visit LA again?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is there a specific museum or exhibition, attraction dedicated to the golden era for LA for fans to go and visit? I feel sure if it was promoted properly it would be a good draw? If there isn't I think their missing a trick.

PS Am I right in thinking Doris Day and Elizabeth Taylor dabbled with Christian science for a fair while?

There may well be, but it is 36 years since I was there and it has probably changed a great deal in that time.

Doris did say that her faith helped her to cope with the death of Rock Hudson, what that faith is I don't know. As for Taylor, well she dabbled in everything, including converting to Judaism, so anything was possible with her.

I am not even tempted to visit anywhere again, I am now such a home body it will be an adventure travelling to London for the Marathon, and I lived there for 50 years. ;-)
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, apart from Hollywood there isn't much to see apart from freeways. That said if Michael Connolly gave me a personally guided Bosch tour I would accept. However I would never say don't go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    Not really, apart from Hollywood there isn't much to see apart from freeways. That said if Michael Connolly gave me a personally guided Bosch tour I would accept. However I would never say don't go.
    I think I will go at least once! will be unforgettable I'm sure!
    There may well be, but it is 36 years since I was there and it has probably changed a great deal in that time.

Doris did say that her faith helped her to cope with the death of Rock Hudson, what that faith is I don't know. As for Taylor, well she dabbled in everything, including converting to Judaism, so anything was possible with her.

I am not even tempted to visit anywhere again, I am now such a home body it will be an adventure travelling to London for the Marathon, and I lived there for 50 years. ;-)
    Not long to go now for your marathon so I hope you enjoy your adventure!

Did you see in the news this week about the nice sums made selling of some of My Lauren Bacalls personal poessions including a lot of stuff significant from her Hollywood era? Golden era stuff is still prized by those who can flash the cash!
    Has there ever been a big auction of Barbara Stanwycks poessions /memorabilia?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I will go at least once! will be unforgettable I'm sure!

Not long to go now for your marathon so I hope you enjoy your adventure!

Did you see in the news this week about the nice sums made selling of some of My Lauren Bacalls personal possessions including a lot of stuff significant from her Hollywood era? Golden era stuff is still prized by those who can flash the cash!
    Has there ever been a big auction of Barbara Stanwycks poessions /memorabilia?

I read about the sale of Lauren Bacall's possession's, but Barbara was such a private person she would have been horrified by all that publicity over her private possessions. As far as I know, Nancy Sinatra senior and her family were her main heirs, but there was nothing about it in the papers, and she never even had a funeral.

Yes, just three weeks to go to the Marathon, and only two more weeks of training. I ran 42 miles last week, and am just getting ready to face another 20 miles this morning. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Adams_(actor)

Goodness Walter I hadn't realised that the friendship between Nancy Sinatra Senior and Barbara Stanwyck was so close.Beautiful and lovely to hear though and I don't think the Sinatra clan have ever ratted on Barbara and revealed her secrets etc after she died? Do you know if any of the studios auctioned off any of the famous costumes Barbara used in her films or did Barbara get to keep most of them after she finished filming?

Take a peek if you can please on the link about an actor around in Hollywood's bygone age but who died very young-Nick Adams.

So sad 😔 but also full of lots of interesting additional information including Natalie Wood and also a "predatory " behind the scenes guy in the film industry.
    Is it a case you've heard much about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Adams_(actor)

This link works better I think Walter :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Goodness Walter I hadn't realised that the friendship between Nancy Sinatra Senior and Barbara Stanwyck was so close.Beautiful and lovely to hear though and I don't think the Sinatra clan have ever ratted on Barbara and revealed her secrets etc after she died? Do you know if any of the studios auctioned off any of the famous costumes Barbara used in her films or did Barbara get to keep most of them after she finished filming?

Take a peek if you can please on the link about an actor around in Hollywood's bygone age but who died very young-Nick Adams.

So sad 😔 but also full of lots of interesting additional information including Natalie Wood and also a "predatory " behind the scenes guy in the film industry.
    Is it a case you've heard much about?

I think that the reason Nancy was Barbara's best friend was because she was also a very private person. She never gave interviews, and never said a bad word in public about Frank, her ex. I understand that he appreciated her loyalty, and made sure that she and the children were always well looked after.

I have seen a few costume items for advertised for sale at auction houses, including the gown she wore in Titanic. She also kept many of the costumes that she wore in her films for her own private wardrobe.

I remember Nick Adams very well, probably because he always seemed so desperate to be famous. I also read about him in the excellent biography of Henry Willson, the predatory agent, in the book, "The Man Who Discovered Rock Hudson."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that the reason Nancy was Barbara's best friend was because she was also a very private person. She never gave interviews, and never said a bad word in public about Frank, her ex. I understand that he appreciated her loyalty, and made sure that she and the children were always well looked after.

I have seen a few costume items for advertised for sale at auction houses, including the gown she wore in Titanic. She also kept many of the costumes that she wore in her films for her own private wardrobe.

I remember Nick Adams very well, probably because he always seemed so desperate to be famous. I also read about him in the excellent biography of Henry Willson, the predatory agent, in the book, "The Man Who Discovered Rock Hudson."
    Exactly how predatory was Hollywood in this era do you think Walter? To what extent was the casting couch, whether male or female, myth and truth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly how predatory was Hollywood in this era do you think Walter? To what extent was the casting couch, whether male or female, myth and truth?

I certainly think that Hollywood producers were very predatory, and that the casting couch was used for both male and females.

I can think of one young actor who had a walk on parts in 1950, and just three years later was a big star at 20th Century Fox. He had plenty of charm, was good looking, became friends with some very powerful names in the business, and was maybe very accommodating with the right people.

I can't name names, because this is only what I have worked out over the years, perhaps I am doing him an injustice, or maybe it is just my dirty mind. ;-)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly think that Hollywood producers were very predatory, and that the casting couch was used for both male and females.

I can think of one young actor who had a walk on parts in 1950, and just three years later was a big star at 20th Century Fox. He had plenty of charm, was good looking, became friends with some very powerful names in the business, and was maybe very accommodating with the right people.

I can't name names, because this is only what I have worked out over the years, perhaps I am doing him an injustice, or maybe it is just my dirty mind. ;-)

Why not? Are they still alive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Why not? Are they still alive?

Yes. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Can you think of any stars from the golden era of Hollywood who's career flopped or went nowhere inexplicably despite being an obvious talent because maybe they REFUSED to acquiesce to the casting couch?! Anyone spring to mind possibly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you think of any stars from the golden era of Hollywood who's career flopped or went nowhere inexplicably despite being an obvious talent because maybe they REFUSED to acquiesce to the casting couch?! Anyone spring to mind possibly?

I can't really think of any star, but I can think of a very talented and handsome actor who should have made it, he had everything going for him. Perhaps he wasn't as accommodating as that other Fox actor that I mentioned. ;-)

There aren't many photo's of him on Google, but just look up Richard Allan - actor, and you will see what I mean.

His first break came when he met and befriended Betty Grable when he danced in her film Wabash Avenue, and that kind lady went out of her way to help him get a contract at Fox.

His next big break came when he sang and danced with Susan Hayward in her hit musical drama, With a Song in My Heart.

He really thought that he had made it when he was personally selected by Marilyn to play her lover in her smash hit drama, Niagara. There were a lot of comments about MM making her stunning entrance in that tight red dress, "cut so low you can see her kneecaps." as her screen husband Joseph Cotton described her.

Just as breathtaking in it's own way was Richard's entrance, wearing a tight white T shirt, and black and white correspondent shoes. They really were the most beautiful couple, and Richard was named as one of the most promising newcomers of 1953.

Sadly, Fox never made the most if him after this promising start and after three uncredited roles he moved to Germany in 1957 and appeared in a few films there.

He made his last film at MGM in 1962, in an uncredited role in The Horizontal Lieutenant, he was still only 39.

He later commented, "You need a real burning ambition to make it in Hollywood. When it's clear you're not going to, that drive just dies. Then you are left with the most terrible emptiness that never leaves."

He could have made it in 1958 when he was briefly considered to co star with Sidney Poitier in the Classic drama The Defiant One's, when Tony Curtis, who Richard resembled dropped out for a short time.

He later became a masseur, and died in Kentucky in 1999 ages 76.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. ;-)

I think I know who you're referring to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I know who you're referring to.
    I can't really think of any star, but I can think of a very talented and handsome actor who should have made it, he had everything going for him. Perhaps he wasn't as accommodating as that other Fox actor that I mentioned. ;-)

There aren't many photo's of him on Google, but just look up Richard Allan - actor, and you will see what I mean.

His first break came when he met and befriended Betty Grable when he danced in her film Wabash Avenue, and that kind lady went out of her way to help him get a contract at Fox.

His next big break came when he sang and danced with Susan Hayward in her hit musical drama, With a Song in My Heart.

He really thought that he had made it when he was personally selected by Marilyn to play her lover in her smash hit drama, Niagara. There were a lot of comments about MM making her stunning entrance in that tight red dress, "cut so low you can see her kneecaps." as her screen husband Joseph Cotton described her.

Just as breathtaking in it's own way was Richard's entrance, wearing a tight white T shirt, and black and white correspondent shoes. They really were the most beautiful couple, and Richard was named as one of the most promising newcomers of 1953.

Sadly, Fox never made the most if him after this promising start and after three uncredited roles he moved to Germany in 1957 and appeared in a few films there.

He made his last film at MGM in 1962, in an uncredited role in The Horizontal Lieutenant, he was still only 39.

He later commented, "You need a real burning ambition to make it in Hollywood. When it's clear you're not going to, that drive just dies. Then you are left with the most terrible emptiness that never leaves."

He could have made it in 1958 when he was briefly considered to co star with Sidney Poitier in the Classic drama The Defiant One's, when Tony Curtis, who Richard resembled dropped out for a short time.

He later became a masseur, and died in Kentucky in 1999 ages 76.
    I'm most intrigued as to who you both are referring to:D

So even historically Hollywood has always been quite seedy?

Yes indeed Richard Allan does appear to have perfect screen looks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm most intrigued as to who you re referring to :D

So even historically Hollywood has always been quite seedy?

Yes indeed Richard Allan does appear to have perfect screen looks!

I have to be very careful here, so without naming names, he was also in one of those three films where Richard Allan got his first big break. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to be very careful here, so without naming names, he was also in one of those three films where Richard Allan got his first big break. ;-)

I'm going to make Google and IMDB my friend on that one I think! 😁

Many I ask if you know much about the golden era star Gregory Walcott who died and whom I mentioned on the previous page?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to make Google and IMDB my friend on that one I think! 😁

Many I ask if you know much about the golden era star Gregory Walcott who died and whom I mentioned on the previous page?

Absolutely nothing, apart from the fact that he appeared in "Plan Nine From Outer Space" officially said to be the worst film ever made. Ironically, his last film appearance was in "Ed Wood," the excellent biography of the director of Plan Nine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely nothing, apart from the fact that he appeared in "Plan Nine From Outer Space" officially said to be the worst film ever made. Ironically, his last film appearance was in "Ed Wood," the excellent biography of the director of Plan Nine.

Arr I knew he wasn't a big name and I guess starring in such a major flop helps explain why! 😁

Have you seen the biographical film about director Alfred Hitchcock in 2013 starring Helen Mirror.A fascinating character but who treated his wife appallingly with his unhidden obsessions with leading ladies .

Did any actresses steer clear of Hitchcock roles because of his out behaviour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arr I knew he wasn't a big name and I guess starring in such a major flop helps explain why! 😁

Have you seen the biographical film about director Alfred Hitchcock in 2013 starring Helen Mirror.A fascinating character but who treated his wife appallingly with his unhidden obsessions with leading ladies .

Did any actresses steer clear of Hitchcock roles because of his out behaviour?

Yes, I did see it, and as much as I love Helen, she was quite wrong in the role as short, homely Alma.

If you have seen the film you will know that he ruined Tippi Hedren's career, as well as Vera Miles, who offended him by getting pregnant.

Not surprising that Vera put her private life priority before her career, her first husband was a stuntman, her second and third were the screen's Tarzan's, Gordon Scott and Keith Larsen. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I did see it, and as much as I love Helen, she was quite wrong in the role as short, homely Alma.

If you have seen the film you will know that he ruined Tippi Hedren's career, as well as Vera Miles, who offended him by getting pregnant.

Not surprising that Vera put her private life priority before her career, her first husband was a stuntman, her second and third were the screen's Tarzan's, Gordon Scott and Keith Larsen. ;-)

Oh sorry what I meant was -Was there any actresses who having heard on the grapevine about Alfreds behaviour eg what happened to Tippi Hidden point blank refused to ever work with him and gave him a wideberth?

Oh BTW today is a special and significant day for this special thread -but are you aware in what way? :cool: