Options

Who is the most ruined soap character?

Comments

• Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe no one has said Pauline Fowler or Den Watts, Pauline turned into the nastiest bitch on the planet who lied about being ill, and Den turned into a pervert.

Good post. Hatchet jobbed to death.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with Sam, I feel like the damage was done by getting knocked up by Jack and completely airbrushing her 2002-2005 tenure out of existence. Yeah she was on the run from the law, but her regression into a loudmouth chav was just depressing. Possibly Diedrick Santer's worst decision, despite his otherwise strong tenure as executive producer.

Getting her knocked up was really the worst because if for some reason they managed to get Kim to return she'd be saddled with Jack Branning's baggage.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe no one has said Pauline Fowler or Den Watts, Pauline turned into the nastiest bitch on the planet who lied about being ill, and Den turned into a pervert.

Probably because we are all mostly thinking of current characters but yes Pauline became awful in the last 3 years as the bitter old woman.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Fowler. Turned into a cold hearted indifferent woman who couldn't care less about her own family and couldn't even be bothered to attend a single funeral.
  • Options
    kazi1976kazi1976 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Sally Webster - she was just a nice "mum next door" in the 90s who suddenly turned into a pushy snob.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,760
    Forum Member
    Pippa Fletcher. Her last stint was completely pointless and probably had new viewers thinking who the hell is this woman. Her previous stint, when Sally found out about Milco and subsequently getting stabbed saw her back to her old self - taking helm at Summer Bay House and being a caring mother. I get they brought her back after Sally's departure to show the Fletchers were still very much a part of the show but they could have done it a lot better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because we are all mostly thinking of current characters but yes Pauline became awful in the last 3 years as the bitter old woman.

Also given Den and Pauline died there is no way for them to return whereas a lot of the characters mentioned are those who could in theory return or are on the show but they've been ruined for the future.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean Wicks while he is a lot more interesting to watch than he was before his character has been ruined by raping Linda.

Mick Carter lovable funny Mick has gone and since Christmas he's turned into a right grump moaning about everything under the bleedin sun!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I only watch Corrie so can't comment on any other soaps but for me it's Eileen Grimshaw. Started off great, now just bitter and twisted.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch Corrie so can't comment on any other soaps but for me it's Eileen Grimshaw. Started off great, now just bitter and twisted.

I was just about to say the same! She was witty and dead pan when she first came in it, and was great at Streetcars with Lloyd and Steve. And I bloody loved her feuding with Gail. :D

The tiny fireman stuff ruined her. Hopefully the new fella may revert her back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Eastenders- Alfie
    Hollyoaks- John Paul
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ME1234567 wrote: »
    Eastenders- Alfie
    Hollyoaks- John Paul

JP's an interesting one. I think he can be turned around though - maybe just write McHay better!
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 51,024
    Forum Member
    Steph Scully in Neighbours. They made a real hash of the character with the whole Dan affair, killing Ringo and then baby snatching upon her return. I was pretty disgusted that such a long serving cast member was treated so shabbily and given such a poor ill fitting exit. :mad:
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,694
    Forum Member
    Pauline Fowler towards the end :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    JP's an interesting one. I think he can be turned around though - maybe just write McHay better!

Yeah or break them up.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting her knocked up was really the worst because if for some reason they managed to get Kim to return she'd be saddled with Jack Branning's baggage.

She could always have had him adopted off screen. He could turn up aged 18 as a link between the Brannings and the Mitchells, when he can't damage Sam's character. It'd make sense if Sam had done so and kept quiet about it, as Peggy would've gone nuts.

That or an off screen death, though I'm not sure if they'd go that far.

Totally agree with you though.
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders: Dean. Matt Di Angelo even hated the idea of making Dean a rapist. Now I can't invest in him anymore. And I used to like him a whole lot! I'm sure there are others, but I started watching at the beginning of the baby swap (miracle I'm still watching)
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    She could always have had him adopted off screen. He could turn up aged 18 as a link between the Brannings and the Mitchells, when he can't damage Sam's character. It'd make sense if Sam had done so and kept quiet about it, as Peggy would've gone nuts.

That or an off screen death, though I'm not sure if they'd go that far.

Totally agree with you though.

I personally hope they don't do that to Sam, despite how badly done she was in her last stint. IF Kim Medcalf is brought back, there is a slight window of opportunity to redeem her. Just don't ever think of bringing back Danniella Westbrook. Kim is a brilliant actress so if she could turn Sam Mitchell around she'd deserve to win the "Best Actress" category at various soap award ceremonies. Plus Jack Branning left the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it bad when referring to a child character but an off screen death for the kid would actually be ok with me, it could also give Sam a comeback storyline as she wants to be around family.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charity Dingle

They have put her in The Chokey:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(>:(
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moira Dingle :(

I still like her because Natalie Robb is amazing, but when she first arrived in the show, she was so lovely and friendly and bubbly, but with a feisty edge. Nowadays she's snappy and pretty miserable most of the time. I hope they give her and Cain some happier, nicer times after all the misery.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean wicks - while I'm sto interested by his character making him a rapist has made him unpopular and time is ticking now. He has to be the first one

Mick Carter - he's had a personality transplant since Christmas and I can't stand him now. How he was become so selfish and making everything all about him make me dearest him more every episode he appears. I want him
    To be killed off now tbh with no chance of a return.

Alfie moon - since Ronnie return in 2013 he went downhill but it became really bad during the fire storyline. He tries to cut people out of his women's life's (Ronnie and Stacey respectively) and blames everything he did on everyone else. He is improving but I'll never like him fully again.

Jane Beale - the Beth storyline made me go off her. He basically emotionally blackmailed cindy to stay.

Charlie cotton - right now he's turned into a selfish stubborn b****d. Because he can't have Roxy he decides Roxy needs to get Out of ronnies life - disgusting.

Phil Mitchell -
    The more of a bully he becomes and how many times he survives a near death ruins him further. If he became more sensitive like he was when he comforted Ian or how he was when he first arrived in the 90s id like him but no he's turned into a bully and owns everyone and is repetitive and now a pantomime character.

He has been a total joke since Grant left for the first time - I mean he has even become the first person in human history to grow a new heart.

Preposterous.

The more invincible they make him the more pantomime he becomes and the older he gets the more hilarious it is.
  • Options
    DaktaraDaktara Posts: 268
    Forum Member

Agreed!

I'm also struggling a bit with Liz these days.

On the other side of the coin Sally has had something of a renaissance for me since Tim. Where I didn't really used to care for her I could watch her all day now.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bryan Kirkwood has managed to ruin a number of characters on HO.

John Paul McQueen
    Ste Hay
    Lindsey Butterfield
    Sienna Blake
    Diane O'Connor
    And increasingly, Cindy Cunningham (really can't stand her despite her popularity)
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Beale - once a force to be reckoned with. Now a snivelling snake

Rita Tanner - same as above. Once upon a time she would've laid into That ex foster daughter of hers ( can't remember the characters name)