Options

1980s TV Adverts

Comments

• Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were definitely 1990s, but I agree they were amazing :D Here's one and another one

I like the Trio adverts (actually I'm a 1990s kid but Trios were still on sale in the early part of the Decade and they still sang the song around my primary school, though I don't know if they were still on the air at that time.)

From YouTube browses, I like the Ariston ads and this rather disturbing Micro Chips ad
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does no-one remember that Coke advert then?:( it was from around 1987 and was a bunch of teenagers in a hall in Liverpool.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love all the 80s coca cola adverts, think it was to do with my fascination of America. Does anyone else recall the coffee advert where a couple are hosting a dinner party and when the wife goes to make the coffee she starts imitating a coffee machine.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Kymberly wrote: »
    I used to love all the 80s coca cola adverts, think it was to do with my fascination of America. Does anyone else recall the coffee advert where a couple are hosting a dinner party and when the wife goes to make the coffee she starts imitating a coffee machine.

Red Mountain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does no-one remember that Coke advert then?:( it was from around 1987 and was a bunch of teenagers in a hall in Liverpool.

There's a whole thread about it here :)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=77686293#post77686293
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »

Oh god yes, those old coke ads. As a 9/10 year old I thought they were sexy as hell :p all those good looking young people covered in sweat gulping back a ice cold bottle of translucent coke. Yum.

Do you recall that song 'Coke is it'? it became a chart topper called 'For the very first time' in 1988.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the responses so far. Keep them coming.:) It goes to show that ad slogans and jingles really work, I can still remember the song to that milk ad from the mid 80s 'the way we're living today....still gotta lotta bottle, gotta lotta bottle, gotta lotta bottle :D

The original coco pops monkey 'Coco pops, bunny hops, mrs mops..'
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you recall that song 'Coke is it'? it became a chart topper called 'For the very first time' in 1988.

'First time, first love. It's the very first kiss...'

I was in my first year of my degree when that charted. A lad in my hall sang, 'First w*nk, first spunk. It's the very first come'!:D
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,906
    Forum Member
    Paul_P wrote: »
    Ullo tosh, got a Toshiba?

Hope it's chips, it's chips..

Ross Kemp doing Bran Flakes

Chewits, chewier than Barrow-in-Furness bus depot....

Was the 'hope it's chips' advert the one with the workmen in a van? Bird's Eye Steakhouse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    The husband being played by John Ringham.

I know him as Penny's dad in Just Good Friends :D

The Nescafé ads with Gareth Hunt making that often imitated hand gesture :D ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Tunes advert with the bloke saying second ticket to Dottingham

Just try and say Mattesson's without saying Mmmmm

Bird's Eye Potato Waffles waffly versatile. Grill 'em, bake 'em, fry 'em, eat 'em.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woolworth's Christmas adverts (the long versions lol) .... might have been early 80's late 70's. They always made me get excited about Christmas, (how sad). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loved that one, in particular.

Others l recall from the 80s, are:

Weetabix, with the skinhead weetabixes: 'Okay?'
    Britvic, with the singimg barmen: 'But me name's Kevin!'
    Chewits, with the Godzilla-like giant monster.
    Lenny Henry, Square Crisps: 'It's weird!' (,remember him seeming to grow as he waked across the room, so he has to crawl out of the door)
    Do It All: with the rock and roll song, 'How do Do It All do it?'
    That one with the mime artist from kids' show Jigsaw advertising camera film (,before digital cameras, kids). I found it funny when he looked at a picture of big women's boobs in a bikini, then you saw him shield his eyes with both hands, his face painted bright red!

There were quite a few different 'tasty, tasty, very very tasty' Bran Flake adverts. I looked on YouTube and found one with both Belinda Lang and Gordon Kaye in it. He was one of the waiters and she was sitting at the table eating the Bran Flakes :D I'd forgotten that particular version.

Fruit n Fibre - at the campsite

Coco Pops - building blocks...

Birds Eye Alpha Bites - A is for Alpha, B is for bites, C for yourself that they taste just right, D is for dinner, E is for eggs.....
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accrington Stanley? 'Oo are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reading some of these I have to wonder whether in 30 years we'll be similarly nostalgic about the likes of "Dave, you're so MoneySupermarket"...somehow I doubt it :(
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »

Exactly! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aidan11 wrote: »

Yay! I loved that :) Can't believe I forgot that one!
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! I loved that :) Can't believe I forgot that one!

The guy in the advert is called Carl Rice. He's in Sky's Comedy, Trollied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember these?

Noodle-doodles

Heinz baked beans and burger bites

Suuupernaturals (hologram figures)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Reading some of these I have to wonder whether in 30 years we'll be similarly nostalgic about the likes of "Dave, you're so MoneySupermarket"...somehow I doubt it :(

Fewer catchy, punchy jingles. More art-house shorts, or attempts to be quirkily surreal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    The guy in the advert is called Carl Rice. He's in Sky's Comedy, Trollied.

I didn't know it was him! I'll have to YouTube the advert now, it didn't register that guy from Trollied was the boy from that advert.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the 'hope it's chips' advert the one with the workmen in a van? Bird's Eye Steakhouse

It was indeed (to the tune of Que Sera, Sera) and was even re-used in the early 90s some ten years after it first aired.

I remember one where the father comes through from the kitchen, announces that "we're having chicken" and the entire sitting room goes beserk, including granny fainting in her chair. Two old dears passing outside see what's going on, one turns to the other and says "They're having chicken."

I also remember the Texaco Star Tokens ad from 1986 when a motorist filling his car notes that it's full of glasses and says that he'll scream if he ever sees another glass. He is duly given one by the assistant and screams loudly, so loud in fact that all glass in the vicinity shatters apart from the one on the counter. When he gets home he goes to put his car in the garage - and a load of glasses start falling out. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned one of the most iconic ones 'Fly fishing, by JR Hartly' this advert actually used to move me as a kid, the piano music that accompanied it was also very poignant. i believe it was aired into the 90s ?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 23,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned one of the most iconic ones 'Fly fishing, by JR Hartly' this advert actually used to move me as a kid, the piano music that accompanied it was also very poignant. i believe it was aired into the 90s ?

I mentioned it twice on page 1 including a link to the advert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned it twice on page 1 including a link to the advert

oh soz but this thread IS rather long haha don't you just love that ad, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see it.