Options

"You are only allowed to apply to 1 UK - Retail role every 6 months."

RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
This is a message i just got from william hill when i went to apply for a job. Is this a common thing these days that you can only apply for one vacancy within six months ( or 12 in aldis case ) or is this just in retail?

This job searching is becoming very frustrating, especially with this kinda stuff. I had been sick for years with mental issues and only started looking for work again the last year. I have been volunteering at a charity shop the last year too and i am beggining to think that its a waist of time.Sometimes i think all the effort i have made to try dig myself out of the hole i was in has been for nothing.

Anyway i'm probably digging a hole for myself by posting this here, but rant over

Comments

• Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda do this too.
    Or at least they did two years ago.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Sounds very strange and probably unique to William Hill. Don't be put off. Keep on applying.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Asda do this too.
    Or at least they did two years ago.

Nothing here http://www.asda.jobs/stores/hourly-paid-roles-in-stores/application-process/ which suggests that.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »

I applied online for Asda a couple of months back and received a reply saying I couldn't apply again for another 6 months.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Lots of companies do this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'v not applied for an asda job yet because i thought i seen the same thing as VBU. William hill is not the only one though. M&S and aldi have a similar policy unless i have miss read something in their replys to me
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is easier to do when the company recruits via its own website.

One thing you might do, is create a second account, I suspect they wont notice.

I think its unfair, its possible you didnt get the job because a 2nd candidate was better, but you are still well capable of the job.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesnt this discriminate against the unemployed who by definition are likely to be making lots of applications for many jobs during a particular time scale?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Doesnt this discriminate against the unemployed who by definition are likely to be making lots of applications for many jobs during a particular time scale?
    I would say it would discriminate against people, with expereince within the betting shop industry, as they are most likely the ones who are going to be applying for such jobs multiple times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    this is easier to do when the company recruits via its own website.

One thing you might do, is create a second account, I suspect they wont notice.

I think its unfair, its possible you didnt get the job because a 2nd candidate was better, but you are still well capable of the job.

To be honest, what makes this application frustrating is i had a phone interview before i had the face to face interview and the guy on the phone told me the job would be near where i live. But as soon as i go for the face to face interview which was on the other side of birmingham, the guy doing this interview is wondering why they have sent me to him considering i am not local. It might be unlikely, but i may have not got the job because of this mistake and now i wont be able to apply again for awhile
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    They definitely did it, because I can remember getting the letter (or email) saying I was unsuccessful and couldn't apply for 6 months.
    Rachael. has already said the same too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, what makes this application frustrating is i had a phone interview before i had the face to face interview and the guy on the phone told me the job would be near where i live. But as soon as i go for the face to face interview which was on the other side of birmingham, the guy doing this interview is wondering why they have sent me to him considering i am not local. It might be unlikely, but i may have not got the job because of this mistake and now i wont be able to apply again for awhile
    sounds like the recuirtment is partly done centrally, before the local store managers are given a few candidates to choose, ive had this happen before, but yeah its unfair on you.

TBH I would not apply that limit to someone who has been interviewed for a job, getting the interview is a sign you might be a good employee for them, so they should welcome applications from you in the future, not discourage it.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boots do something similar. I think theirs is 6 months as well, if I'm remembering right. I haven't applied for a while for that reason!

I sort of see the point. Presumably it's aimed at filtering out people who don't have the right experiences they're looking for, and will give the applicant a chance to boost their skills/experience in the time being (ideally speaking, though obviously it may not be that straightforward in practice). It does have a negative effect on those with experience and who would be great for the job, but unfortunately someone was just that bit better the last time so now this person won't even be considered again. So in practice I don't think it's the right way to go.

That is assuming that is their intention with it anyway.

Edit: Almost forgot to add, good luck with the job search! Don't let this type of thing get you down! I would also recommend the second email suggestion someone else mentioned, I've tried that before with both Boots and Asda and they didn't catch on.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,213
    Forum Member
    They do it to stop jobseekers sending them letter/cv after letter/cv pointlessly in order to get their 9(?)-a-week steps which the Jobcentre requires for benefits.
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of companies do this. I can see why with the sheer amount of applications that each job role gets, you will often get the same person applying over and over again.

My old company used to do the same, we would however keep the half decent applications on file and go through them should we not find enough suitable applicants for new job vacancies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    They do it to stop jobseekers sending them letter/cv after letter/cv pointlessly in order to get their 9(?)-a-week steps which the Jobcentre requires for benefits.

does not really matter to the DWP if those steps are effective or not, they will encourage spec applications (which I would only encourage for people with high level skills) as long as you do it.

Until the DWP becomes less about sanctions, and more about working with companys to understand the modern job application process, they wont be able to help anymore.

Bless them, they most likely think taking your CV to the local Tesco is an effective way to get a job.