Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Thanks. :) Not a million miles behind Squares but for the slot I suspect the audience share was pretty poor.

Good consolidated number for BGT, although I wonder to what extent its consolidated number has been damaged by BARB attributing time shift viewers to the Sunday repeat rather than the original screening.

Is that definitely happening?

Time shift is quite low in my opinion compared to previous years.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Thank you. More than three times the BBC Two audience in that slot then at the moment and I expect Channel 4 is still quite a way behind as well.

TWS is such a reliable performer. Good to see Madeley back in the chair this week as well.

It's amazing how solid it is over such a long period of time. It feels like it's almost the only programme that's survived since the early days of Channel 5.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Five Live isn't a 24 hour rolling news channel.

I'm terribly sorry, but that's clearly wrong, the very first paragraph of Five Live's service licence says...
    "The remit of BBC Radio 5 live is to provide live news and sports coverage. It should
    be BBC Radio’s main outlet for breaking news by bringing its audience major news stories as they happen."
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/radio/2014/5live_apr14.pdf

If Five Live schedule a phone-in every day at 9am, they clearly think there's little chance of it having to be abandoned for breaking news. LBC do a phone-in at 9am every day as well. Of course, they can do breaking news in this hour, like they can do breaking news on Derbyshire's programme.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    That might be true, but Victoria Derbyshire airs until 11:00am

Well, yes, and maybe there's an issue that it should only run 9-10am, but people seem to be suggesting that later in the day is when there's "less breaking news", based on what? Parliament's not in session at 9am, America is asleep. Yesterday's live election blog on the Guardian website had nothing happening between 9am and 10am (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/20/election-2015-live-nicola-sturgeon-snp-manifesto-scotland-labour-nhs), just reports on things that had been said at breakfast time or stuff coming up later. It's a dead slot. I don't wish to hammer this point home but nobody's explaining why another slot would be better.
    Neither the presenter or some of the celebs are the ITV usuals. In fact this isn't a good advert for those people who think they should use different presenters and not the ITV usuals.
    C14E wrote: »
    I guess they decided to give it a second run as the first was up against Bake Off but even there it had a Corrie lead-in. While I can understand ITV having some bother with entertainment in this slot while Strictly is on, they shouldn't be struggling this much against Countryfile.

Indeed, there might be an argument that ITV were in a hopeless position if BBC1 were targeting it with big budget entertainment but it's losing out to factual, as is the case with much ITV light entertainment these days.

It's certainly right to say that the celebrities on Celebrity Squares are certainly different to some of the usual ITV faces, Bridget Christie was on the last series and Reeves and Mortimer are on this. To be honest they may have been better off with more ITV regulars. And of course Celebrity Squares is going to have celebrities on it, that's the concept. If you're suggesting the public don't want to see ITV regulars then how do you explain the success of Takeaway, which relies far more on the usual suspects?
    I'd like to know how they managed to shoe horn a clip of Car Share onto Points of View!

It was part of a preview of the comedy coming up, and to be honest I'd rather this show spent more time talking about things that were coming up and giving producers and commissioners the opportunity to explain the thinking behind it than allowing correspondents to simply make a load of unfounded and ill-informed complaints totally unchallenged, achieving nothing.

On the first programme last week we actually got an interesting discussion about the portrayal of gay relationships in drama which was very refreshing because they were no right or wrong answers and the contributors made constructive comments and Ben Stephenson got to explain a bit about what they're trying to do and it perhaps made a few viewers think about it. And this week - "These people think football should be BANNED from BBC1!"
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next week section of the New TV Times for 2-8 May Has Drama's Home Fires and the C Word with rating behemoth Sheridan Smith starting.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Thanks. :)
    Good consolidated number for BGT, although I wonder to what extent its consolidated number has been damaged by BARB attributing time shift viewers to the Sunday repeat rather than the original screening.

I thought that did not happen for ITV shows?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I thought that did not happen for ITV shows?

It does. Perhaps not to the same extent as the BBC but I remember the Christmas episode of Downton proved it does happen as I think the Boxing Day repeat was given as having a timeshift of 2 million which was very unlikely (especially as that was slightly more than the main screwing was down as having).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.6m for Safe House.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does. Perhaps not to the same extent as the BBC but I remember the Christmas episode of Downton proved it does happen as I think the Boxing Day repeat was given as having a timeshift of 2 million which was very unlikely (especially as that was slightly more than the main screwing was down as having).

Speaking of this problem, it looks like the final EastEnders Omnibus will be this Friday. So from next week, the Omnibus won't take timeshift viewing away from first showings (most significantly for Friday's episodes).
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston's Safe House launches with 5.3m on ITV

Safe House topped the ratings outside of soaps on Monday (April 20), according to overnight data.

The Christopher Eccleston drama brought in 5.29m (24.0%) for ITV at 9pm (289k/1.9% on +1). Earlier, Wild Ireland averaged 2.67m (13.1%) at 8pm (167k/0.8%).

On BBC One, Ed Miliband's interview with Evan Davis interested 1.97m (10.5%) at 7.30pm, while Panorama gathered 3.01m (14.1%) at 8.30pm. MasterChef continued with 4.63m (21.0%) at 9pm.

BBC Two's documentary The Mekong River with Sue Perkins appealed to 950k (5.3%) at 7pm, before Alex Polizzi: Chefs on Trial was seen by 1.32m (6.3%), and Inside Harley Street continued with 1.10m (5.0%) at 9pm.

On Channel 4, Food Unwrapped continued with 1.17m (5.8%) at 8pm (115k/0.5%), while Travel Man: 48 Hours in Marrakech brought in 1.03m (4.8%) at 8.30pm (94k/0.4%). Skint reached 870k (3.9%) at 9pm (294k/2.0%), and Raised by Wolves amused 660k (4.0%) at 10pm (88k/1.0%).

On Channel 5, Police Interceptors thrilled 827k (4.0%) at 8pm (91k/0.4%), while Gotham fell to 699k (3.2%) at 9pm (150k/1.0%). Person of Interest continued with 586k (3.8%) at 10pm (103k/1.3%).

E4's Made in Chelsea averaged 435k (2.0%), while Virtually Famous entertained 126k (0.8%) at 10pm.

Meanwhile, Game of Thrones thrilled 1.14m (5.2%) at 9pm on Sky Atlantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think officially its not supposed to happen - but as you say who trusts BARB these days?
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to laugh at the Car Share clip on the BBC website when the female character comments on taking a urine sample "during Daybreak".

The perils of filming a programme in 2013 then keeping it on the shelf for nearly 2 years....

:-)
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess if Gotham does come back for season 2 it will not be on 5 shame about its rating?.
    Though not watch the show.
    Sure OUAT had higher yet never came back?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Had to laugh at the Car Share clip on the BBC website when the female character comments on taking a urine sample "during Daybreak".

The perils of filming a programme in 2013 then keeping it on the shelf for nearly 2 years....

:-)

Are you mixing up the pilot and the series? Series filmed last year
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Speaking of this problem, it looks like the final EastEnders Omnibus will be this Friday. So from next week, the Omnibus won't take timeshift viewing away from first showings (most significantly for Friday's episodes).

We will finally have a film on next Friday then.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,694
    Forum Member
    I guess if Gotham does come back for season 2 it will not be on 5 shame about its rating?.
    Though not watch the show.
    Sure OUAT had higher yet never came back?
    It adds a lot more on timeshift and Demand 5 than OUAT ever did though.

Personally I hope they do renew even though it's become disappointing, but the odds of them doing so are probably lengthening all the time. Whatever they decide, absolutely no chance I would think that it will play out on Mondays at 9pm on the main channel ever again once this run is complete.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solid start for Safe House last night.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street 6.74m (35.9%) 8.30pm 6.69m (31.4%)
    Eastenders 6.39m (31.4%)
    Emmerdale 5.57m (32.9%)

A fairly stable Monday for the soaps. Eastenders only 400k away from beating both episodes of Corrie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Solid start for Safe House last night.

It did well although I am unsure whether its any good or just complete hokum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know how Paul O'Grady did for his chat show return yesterday?
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    It did well although I am unsure whether its any good or just complete hokum.

With Christopher Eccleston in it, I want to check it out, but maybe the script is going to be average at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I see today that Channel 4's Head of Entertainment has "moved on". That role seems to be so narrow and there are remarkably few commissions considering they have as many Com Eds for entertainment as ITV do. Plus you've got the Fact Ent commissioners who cover a remit that extends as far as The Jump. Then "Formats and Music" which nobody really understands also seems to sit on that turf.

Well reasoned C14E. Channel 4 are merging entertainment and factual entertainment for the reasons you suggested. Factual delivered more hits.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will finally have a film on next Friday then.

Next Friday's BBC1 line up is:-

10.40-11.25pm Graham Norton
    11.25pm-12.25am Car Share - rpt. of ep. 1 & 2
    12.25-2.00am Film: Ruthless People - Comedy, 1986.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting interview with the writer and star of Atlantis about what went wrong:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/apr/21/that-sinking-feeling-the-creators-of-atlantis-on-where-it-went-wrong

They are so bitter! Dear me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting interview with the writer and star of Atlantis about what went wrong. For some reason it won't let me post the link properly but here it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/apr/21/that-sinking-feeling-the-creators-of-atlantis-on-where-it-went-wrong

They are so bitter! Dear me.

Forget the article. Read the comments! They have a much better understanding of what went wrong.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Forget the article. Read the comments! They have a much better understanding of what went wrong.

Bit like the comments section of other websites such as Daily Mail, They make more sense.

Back to ratings, This warm weather may affect things until about 20:00.
This discussion has been closed.