Options

COM8 up and running

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    There are plans to give the HD versions of the PSB channels full PSB status, at which point C5 will be forced to launch C5 HD FTA. I assume this is why the newly created space on PSB3 hasn't been used or advertised (Ofcom have to agree usage on that mux). Ofcom already consider them PSB for the purpose of EPG prominence.

True else they wouldn't have allowed channel 5 to actually do a HD swap on sky, so channel 5 being behind a paywall has its days numbered.

Interesting about psb3 if channel 5 HD are forced to take the slot BBC news HD, BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD wont fit on there!
    Unless PSB 2 is forced to become DVB-T2 which would mean ITV(STV/UTV), c4 and C5 in SD would have to go on PSB1 at the expense of BBC radio and BBC red button moving to PSB3. S4C would fit in Wales as BBC Alba fits in Scotland.
    This would allow ITV HD(STV HD/UTV HD), channel 4 HD and Channel 5 HD moving to PSB2.

BBC B would take on all the BBC's HD channels, BBC radio and BBC red button in SD.
    Such a move would also encourage freeview HD take up for the sister channels of the commercial PSBs on PSB2!
    I guess that is unlikely is actually possible.

Of course at DSO 2 such things would seem irrelevant as the PSBs will be in HD only, so the BBC will actually have spare capacity on PSB3!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    5 HD is definitely overdue... would it be too much to ask for channels 105 - 110 to shunt one along to make way for 105 being used for 5 HD? It'd be silly to have 111 for 5 HD.
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Good point that sounds like a plan!

Channel 5 have had at least two chances to launch Channel 5 HD, and to nab 105, but on both occasions they pulled back. That ship has long since sailed.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I'd love to see:

Channel 5 HD
    Spike HD

What is so great about spike, from what I have heard and seen about it, 90% of it is channel 5 repeats, so another repeat channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Nothing from Divis on ch 34. Any dates for the COM8 roll out on transmitters other than those already operational?
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    I did check Moel-y-Parc earlier and still no sign of COM8 there. I also see that the digitaluk channel list hasn't been updated with COM8, nor the coverage checker.

The digitaluk postcode checker and channel list are now updated for COM8. For me it shows a retune event yesterday for Winter Hill, and it shows a future retune event with no date other than 2015 for Moel-y-Parc.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here for Crystal Palace. COM8 showing as 39.83kW and COM7 as 43.097kW. Both come through here as strong as the 200kW muxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The digitaluk postcode checker and channel list are now updated for COM8. For me it shows a retune event yesterday for Winter Hill, and it shows a future retune event with no date other than 2015 for Moel-y-Parc.

Says we can get com 8 here from the Ridge hill transmitter, my friend still can not get it.
    She retuned the TV and it still do not come up with QVC HD.
    Saying that she can't get com 7 either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Says we can get com 8 here from the Ridge hill transmitter, my friend still can not get it. She retuned the TV and it still do not come up with QVC HD. Saying that she can't get com 7 either.

I suspect you're misreading the results. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/hr1+1aa/NA/0/NA suggests to me that COM8 isn't on yet for you. However if you can't get COM7 either there maybe something wrong unless you are in a poor signal location - the usual suspects include bad cabling, poor aerial, or a communal system with filters that need altering to allow C32 and C34 through.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUK website says the MUX launch hasn't happened been switched on yet for Divis and there is no date for it, just "2015". It does state it will be broadcast at slightly higher power than COM7, but as I can already get COM7 perfectly, I'm not gonna worry about it too much, especially as all that's on COM 8 yet is shopping channels.

Of course, it could be switched on later today for all we know, but it is disappointing they can't give out any concrete answer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    DUK website says the MUX launch hasn't happened been switched on yet for Divis and there is no date for it, just "2015". It does state it will be broadcast at slightly higher power than COM7, but as I can already get COM7 perfectly, I'm not gonna worry about it too much, especially as all that's on COM 8 yet is shopping channels.

Of course, it could be switched on later today for all we know, but it is disappointing they can't give out any concrete answer.

Yea I saw that on DUK, thanks :)
    Yes it says 12.66kW which is a bit higher than COM7. Since I get COM7 without any problems I hope same will apply to COM8.
    But as you say nothing interesting on it anyway just yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you're misreading the results. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/hr1+1aa/NA/0/NA suggests to me that COM8 isn't on yet for you. However if you can't get COM7 either there maybe something wrong unless you are in a poor signal location - the usual suspects include bad cabling, poor aerial, or a communal system with filters that need altering to allow C32 and C34 through.

I took it where it say retune, that you need to retune to get Com8.

I can't get anything, but it is my friend who can not get Com7. Nothing wrong with the signal, the TV say signal is strong on all muxs, apart from com 7 which is not there.

The aerial was put up when she moved there a couple of years back, if that, no communal system now, there was by the look of it, but everyone got their own aerial.

She is not bothered as she have Freesat and most of her TV viewing is done by that. She only tune into Freeview for stuff that is not on Freesat.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I took it where it say retune, that you need to retune to get Com8.
    It has no date on it, just 2015, i.e. it is not available yet.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,284
    Forum Member
    However if you can't get COM7 either there maybe something wrong unless you are in a poor signal location - the usual suspects include bad cabling, poor aerial, or a communal system with filters that need altering to allow C32 and C34 through.

I understand how a filter in the communal system can block channels 32-34 but COM8 is on Ch35 where I live - which is within group - and I still can't lock the signal. :confused:

The six main muxes (Ch39-46) are being received here at a signal strength which has at least 15db in reserve.

Bizarrely, of those main muxes Ch40 (PSB3) registers only 43% quality compared to 100% on all the other muxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I understand how a filter in the communal system can block channels 32-34 but COM8 is on Ch35 where I live - which is within group - and I still can't lock the signal. :confused:

Only other guess would be to check if you have something in the local UHF chain that is modulating an analogue channel over the top of the mux - Sky box RF out, VCR, etc... apologies if that's egg sucking 101, but easy to overlook these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only other guess would be to check if you have something in the local UHF chain that is modulating an analogue channel over the top of the mux - Sky box RF out, VCR, etc... apologies if that's egg sucking 101, but easy to overlook these days!

No apology needed but I did check for that.

It's possible that my cheapo receiver is relatively insensitive to DBV-T2 signals and that a more expensive model would cure that but I'm reluctant to invest in a new receiver that might not bring any improvement.

Incidentally the contractor who installed the communal system is also the main agent for Sky around here so is unlikely to shed any tears that half the Freeview HD channels are missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    ...who installed the communal system ...

That could be it. Some channelised communal systems basically filter out everything except the exact 8MHz channels needed for the muxes the installer knows exist. So new muxes popping up won't be passed through until the system is adjusted. I've never had to deal with one of these, hopefully someone else knows more - especially if you can access make/model for the headend kit. Probably worth chasing it up now with the landlord while there's nothing important on COM8 and hopefully the contractor won't have had many calls yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably worth chasing it up now with the landlord while there's nothing important on COM8 and hopefully the contractor won't have had many calls yet!

It's a housing association property. The installer is on a fixed-price contract. If the housing association offer him extra money to cure HD reception problems he would be happy to do it but they are not interested. Of the nine other tenants in this block seven have Sky dishes and two have Virgin cable so they are unlikely to complain.

I suspect it will be DSO2 before anything is done about the situation. :(
  • Options
    bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Just did a rescan on my ee TV box Corby East Midlands and not picking up com 8 anyone have any ideas why
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benster wrote: »
    Just did a rescan on my ee TV box Corby East Midlands and not picking up com 8 anyone have any ideas why

Would that be from Waltham? I don't think it has been switched on yet.

Still nothing at Tacolneston either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure which transmitter I get my signal from any ideas how I can find out
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benster wrote: »
    Not sure which transmitter I get my signal from any ideas how I can find out

For where you are must be Winter Hill?
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Could they be planning to run more 4K trials in the remaining space?
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could be it. Some channelised communal systems basically filter out everything except the exact 8MHz channels needed for the muxes the installer knows exist. So new muxes popping up won't be passed through until the system is adjusted. I've never had to deal with one of these, hopefully someone else knows more - especially if you can access make/model for the headend kit. Probably worth chasing it up now with the landlord while there's nothing important on COM8 and hopefully the contractor won't have had many calls yet!
    It's most likely channelised amplifiers. You get one module per channel that you want amplified, non amplified channels get lost in the noise. Normally just adding a new module is what's needed.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Could they be planning to run more 4K trials in the remaining space?

There's DTG summit on 12 May .... R&S are doing an end to end Demo....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For where you are must be Winter Hill?

Sorry don't live in Blackburn anymore need to change it on here it live in corby East midlabds