The New Series Needs Something

Comments

• Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Okay, here's something.

Last Christmas ended with the Doctor and Clara running off together like a couple of excited school-kids. How about series 9 carries on where this left off? The Doctor and Clara are travelling through time and space having fun and adventures, when at some point, after another successful adventure, they snog:o

Oh god please no,old man young girl getting it on I don't need to see that........even if it gives me hope;-)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Oh god please no,old man young girl getting it on I don't need to see that........even if it gives me hope;-)

Or maybe, as a softer alternative, Clara kisses the Doctor and the Doctor sends her away either permanently because he worries she's becoming too emotionally involved, or temporary to consider her feelings and whether she could carry on travelling with the Doctor as just friends.

She is, after all, potentially emotional unstable after losing Danny. Let's not forget her behaviour on the volcano in Dark Water.

Then Capaldi gets to play comedy with the reaction to the kiss and then emotional when he tells Clara he's taking her home.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    I loved River but surely her story is done now.
    When we met her with 10 we knew there was a story with a future Doctor to be played out and that we were seeing the end.

Unless it was some sort of "rescue" from the library type of angle then it just doesn't make any sense for her to have any dealings with 12

The out of order nature of her life means she could easily have multiple adventures with 12. From her point of view she could have been having adventures with 12 inbetween adventures with 11, and even the odd adventure with 10 later in his life than after the first time she'd met him. She did often say things like 'judging by your face' after all.

When she met him as 10, the very end of the story for her was described, and sounded a wonderfully sad emotional end to her time. Until we see the derillium scene where the real river has her final meeting with the doctor (as opposed to that cop out sort of goodbye with the data ghost river in name of the doctor which I don't count at all) then for me, her story will never truly be finished. Also before anyone says it, I don't count the minisode dvd extra thing has having seen it either, as that was only an implication that they might be going and if even if she did once go there with 11 there is nothing to say that it was the one and only time she went there.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Why so, am sure Steven's wife had some input towards River's character, makes sense.:D

I always wonder what Steven's home life is like when I see all these women characters he created slapping the men about like they are justified in doing so, and it's a normal part of a relationship.

It happened in Sherlock, also.

When she met him as 10, the very end of the story for her was described, and sounded a wonderfully sad emotional end to her time. Until we see the derillium scene where the real river has her final meeting with the doctor (as opposed to that cop out sort of goodbye with the data ghost river in name of the doctor which I don't count at all) then for me, her story will never truly be finished. Also before anyone says it, I don't count the minisode dvd extra thing has having seen it either, as that was only an implication that they might be going and if even if she did once go there with 11 there is nothing to say that it was the one and only time she went there.

I don't count the minisode either. Everyone knows it was Ten who took her to Darillium for their last meeting before the library. I refuse to visualise it any other way.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's the point, she hasn't seen him since he regenerated so it would be fun to see what she makes of his new appearance/attitude.

I like it when characters meet different incarnations. When people say 'that character was only that certain doctor only, or anything of that nature, it's as though they are forgetting for a moment that the doctor is one character and not 12 different ones. Having odd characters from the past turn up from time to time and them reminiscing only reinforces that. Not to mention that River actually started in 10's era, or the fact that jack was successfully a big part of both 9 and 10's era and Sarah Jane Smith was reoccuring in 10's era years after being a part of both 3 and 4's eras. Blurring the lines between the incarnations by having someone who knew him previously come along and still recognise that he is still the same man despite the surface changes serves to reinforce and strengthen the central character of the doctor.

I'd happily see river back any time.
    Completely agree with this.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe to you. Not to plenty of others.

Thought you found her annoying also?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought you found her annoying also?

Okay.

Maybe to me and you and others. But not to plenty of others. Every character has their share of fans and dislikers.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote:
    Thanks for quoting that post - or we may never have seen that DB gem.
    I had only meant to post part of the quote in reply but unfortunately :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay.

Maybe to me and you and others. But not to plenty of others. Every character has their share of fans and dislikers.

True. But River Song seems to have more detractors than those who like her.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what he would say to her if they met ?.
    Probably nothing.
    The Doctor could be running past River as Benny Hill music plays in the background with The Daleks running behind The Doctor. River could then run after The Daleks until she catches up with the Doctor and then say "Took a while to catch up but I know that run, had to be you Doctor":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. But River Song seems to have more detractors than those who like her.

"Seems"

She probably doesn't though.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read the OP a few times and I'm still none the wiser. What are you asking for? Is this thread real? The new series needs something...but what? Am I just being backward?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    I've read the OP a few times and I'm still none the wiser. What are you asking for? Is this thread real? The new series needs something...but what? Am I just being backward?

With bizarre threads like these popping, all I know for sure is that the new series needs... to start soon.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »

Sandydune is a Zen Master. Think of her posts as similar to Koans, contemplation of which will eventually lead to enlightenment.

Either that or she's on something again. ;-):D
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy is hard work :D
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Sandydune is a Zen Master. Think of her posts as similar to Koans, contemplation of which will eventually lead to enlightenment.

Either that or she's on something again. ;-):D

Kudos to Sandydune. I think she's managed, perhaps unintentionally, to out-troll Dalekbuster! :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Kudos to Sandydune. I think she's managed to out-troll Dalekbuster! :D:p

You can't out-troll a non-troll unless you non-troll a out-troll.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cool your boots Edward Nigma.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member

Gotcha! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool your boots Edward Nigma.

Shut it, Batman!:D
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    The new series needs to come back with a something? The Doctor needs to have some kind of authority, South park style:D The Doctor has been working up to something, meeting River again? meeting The Master? Meeting another Doctor? Challenge? Doctor needs a challenge :D Sorry, just something out of nothing.:D

BIB: Yes, he does need a challenge. But he's become so powerful there's not much that can challenge him now.

Matt Smith had not one but two -- yes, count 'em -- two stories where the universe had already been destroyed and the Doctor never existed, and his companion saved them by doing magical timey-wimey stuff.

If not even the destruction of the universe can challenge the Doctor any more, it's hard to imagine what can. That's why Capaldi's first season focussed so much on "Am I a good man?" Moral challenges are the only ones left for him now.

Some of us did some brainstorming about this on another forum. And we all came to the conclusion is that the show needs a season-long story arc about the Doctor being trapped in a totally alien universe. He could be sent there as part of a trap set by Missy or Davros or whoever the season's big bad is.

The Doctor's knowledge wouldn't help him there, and the TARDIS might not even work properly (cf. Rise of the Cybermen). He'd have trouble just finding out where he is and what's happening, never mind finding a way to return in time to stop Missy/Davros/whoever's evil plan in the season finale.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new series needs more ghosts...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    The new series needs more ghosts...

If you want ghosts, maybe try watching Ghoatbusters instead (no offence). Doctor Who has done 'ghost stories' before but they're always aliens or time travellers, not ghosts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want ghosts, maybe try watching Ghoatbusters instead (no offence). Doctor Who has done 'ghost stories' before but they're always aliens or time travellers, not ghosts.

Goatbusters? :D
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear...