Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electro Velvet are on the Graham Norton show on May 9 (their first ever performance on any TV show bizarrely) :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a643877/eurovision-hopefuls-electro-velvet-will-make-their-tv-debut-on-the-graham-norton-show.html?rss#~paP4DiEPBOhXV5
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,288
    Forum Member
    Wow the San Marino children have aged a lot! :eek:;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzfwsUTluQ

Edit: Damn they edited the title.
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »

she looks a lot of fun, kinda like the same sense of humour as the macedinian lady from last year.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This account on youtube has got some 40-odd second clips of Iceland, Malta, Belarus and Australia's performances at the Moscow Pre-Party.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkYhuyCvlNFBzXLwXqzV6w/videos

Honestly, Maria looks about 12! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    esckaz are starting to upload the full performances now - https://www.youtube.com/user/EurovisionKZ/videos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Ahh wondered why they gone back to the boring version :D

she looks like Dana here (Irish Dana)

slower version , not bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I need to adjust my Swedar as I had no inkling that that Autumn Leaves was written by a Swede :o and not just any Swede. I thought the Balkans usually shunned such influences, I doubt there was any Swede in Euro Neuro. Still I thought Daniel sounded smooth in his performance in Amsterdam. You can see why Moldova have been chosen to open their semi-final if that's an indication of their staging. I agree with Anne about France. Lisa impresses me more with each live performance and it's a song in the old school chanteuse style which for me is unlike the other female shouty ballads. As for the UK, they seem decent people but it's the kind of act which would be at the foot of the bill on an Elsie and Doris Waters end of the pier show between the wars. Only the death of a major royal in Eurovision week can save the UK now. ;-)

((( cough Prince Philip maybe>)))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Love injected might prove a challenge but nothing that the immense flexibility of the accordion couldn't overcome. There were many different versions of Naz Rock in the lead up to the 2011 contest, the brass band one was particularly memorable.

Don't say that, Daniel's promising spectacular staging for his song. I'm no Arlene Phillips but I'm expecting leaves, lots of them.

Or perhaps be hace come on naked with a figleaf in pprominent place his amusing but ridiculous Banana hued hushpuppy shoes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Australia's televote will be so neutral, it will be about 3-6 am in Australian time when the show first goes out for part 1 and there's a lot of migrants in Australia that would probably set their alarm for at least the voting window and I'm not sure how many regular Aus viewers will watch part 1 to vote

Plus all the dosh and so on we invested in crap like home and away and neighbors, not to mention the Sulivans, Dame Edna throught the years, we are owned a favor or two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GreekFan wrote: »
    Apparently, Pertti Kurikka from Finland thinks Greece is going to win :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELKadKK-dg

Haha, yeah. Adorable!

I love Greece's song, didnt wnat to but its bloody brilliant and i love that kind of all our emotional balad even if its abit Bondy like RLAP

The finnish lads are baddass, saw a comment from them the ither week where they were asked if they have an particular ritual for calming themsellves before they go on stange. They said yes sort of, they just fight each other before and after the show. :D
  • Options
    babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Electro Velvet are on the Graham Norton show on May 9 (their first ever performance on any TV show bizarrely) :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a643877/eurovision-hopefuls-electro-velvet-will-make-their-tv-debut-on-the-graham-norton-show.html?rss#~paP4DiEPBOhXV5

Because they and the song are rubbbbash..
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have you back Kobi :) (Wish I had a chance to go on a trip, but won't until July...)
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    I'm liking the Kobi-catch-up by the way :) It's like HIGNFY but for DS!
    What's HIGNFY? :blush:

edit - never mind, got it now, it was one of my favourite tv shows in the UK, just the abbreviation threw me off ;)

I must admit it feels a bit weird though having my old posts from several weeks back suddenly popping up :D
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Plus the fact the social side of ESC has gone beyond the living room, which is brilliant for me as without places like here and interacting with people on twitter, I would have no outlet to vent or jubilate, because any attempt to engage in ESC discussion with the people I know offline is met with a roll of the eyes and "oh god not that shit", quite funny though when I casually deploy some NF or ESC songs and they don't even realise and say, "who's this by? Where did you find this?" :p
    I guess I'm lucky in that as my best friend is a kind of Eurovision fan (though she doesn't go to online forums) ;)
    The finnish lads are baddass, saw a comment from them the ither week where they were asked if they have an particular ritual for calming themsellves before they go on stange. They said yes sort of, they just fight each other before and after the show. :D
    Didn't know that :D
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alwaysanigel247 @ 4:16:45 if anyone fancies some DS stalking ;-)

& 1:38:50 for my ugly mug :D

(god, I didn't half witter on!)
    Nice to be able to put a face to name for at least some of you, as I won't have much chance of doing that otherwise ;)

(Though did you actually call Eurovision fans "nerdy"? :o I don't consider myself nerdy in the slightest ;))

I need to watch that in full when I have time, at least the history recaps, it looks a bit like the Secret History of Eurovision :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conchita Wurst on BBC Radio 4 this morning. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rk5tg

Go to about 5 minutes in.
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @rosetta for nerdy, I think that most of us on here would count, just for the combined vast knowledge of what are some pretty obscure facts!

Mrs Shards is in Finland this weekend and her friends are somewhat confused by me being interested in Eurovision enough to post on a forum full of Internet nut jobs (compliment!) and then go to a conference with Eurovision academics :-)
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norway might throw a few points at the UK, after all Shetland was part of Norway for 600 years and the population is largely of Norse stock. :)

Hello from Norway!
    Last years entry from UK was very good, and her voice was amazing.

My favourite this year is Belgium, and I also like Slovenia and Australia. And Sweden is good.

There are some I haven't heard yet, UK being one of them, and I will have a look at youtube this evening.

My all time favourit is still Making your mind up. I was so in love with one of the guys there.

My other personal favourit, is Save your kisses for me, because the final word of the song changes the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the Amsterdam videos. Am I drunk, or does Israel sound like a winner? :eek:

It's awful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hej Versailles!

Which was your favourite from the MGP this year? Was A monster like me the right choice?

I'd love someone try to enter something with as much of a twist as SYKFM nowadays, imagine the headlines in the press!
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 28,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Guy has stated that if Australia wins, they will be able to compete every year.

http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/04/25/guy-sebastian-win-eurovision-australia/92038/

Yes.
    I believe that.

I think if they do well they will be back next year, ie top3 or maybe top 5.

Lets see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »

Yes.
    I believe that.

Lets see

I think that Guy is extrapolating a bit too far.

If they win then they get to defend. And if they keep winning, every single year, then they'll keep getting to come back and share the hosting.

I haven't seen anything beyond that.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.
    I believe that.

Lets see

A lot of people in the comments talking about "the death of Eurovision". Israel has been competing since 1973 and Eurovision has stayed alive. There are also claims that SBS has no money which I find difficult to believe. They're sending a delegation to Austria from Australia.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.
    I believe that.

Lets see

Personally, I think they'll be back regardless. We've heard stories from different people throughout. Eurovision.tv initially claimed that if Australia wins, they'll be invited back until they lose and that if they didn't win, it would be a one off. SBS then claimed during the reveal that if it "went well", they'd become a permanent feature and now Guy is claiming if they win, they'll be permanent.

Imo, they were planning all along to make Australia permanent but just wanted to give people time to get used to the idea. In fact, it worked for me! I was 100% against it to begin with, and now I actually like the idea and wouldn't mind more guest countries being introduced in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hej Versailles!

Which was your favourite from the MGP this year? Was A monster like me the right choice?

I'd love someone try to enter something with as much of a twist as SYKFM nowadays, imagine the headlines in the press!

Hei!

I did not watch the MGP, as I am really only interested in the Eurovision finals.
    Like always, I think the Norwegian song is awful. However, a tad better than last year.

I am not too keen on balads, they have to be very good to impress me:D

I need songs that makes me want to dance and shake my old-ish (47) body:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Nice to be able to put a face to name for at least some of you, as I won't have much chance of doing that otherwise ;)

(Though did you actually call Eurovision fans "nerdy"? :o I don't consider myself nerdy in the slightest ;))

I need to watch that in full when I have time, at least the history recaps, it looks a bit like the Secret History of Eurovision :D

I implore everyone to watch it. I watched it all last night and it was a great insight into so many aspects, naturally I marked out like the fangirl I am at any Ruslana mentions. :D The European History lecture bit can be skipped, I did history at all levels of schooling when I was younger and it couldn't even hold my attention, so dull.

I'd probably go further and suggest all the ESC naysayers should be forced to watch it too, especially that segment on the statistical analysis of viewing figures and the like. I hope some technical whiz can cut that and upload it to youtube, because I'd love to quote some of that every time the 'antis' come crawling out the woodwork! :p
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope Australia do become a permanent fixture at the contest. It's massively popular there and I'd much rather have a country that's nowhere near Europe but loves the contest and gets into the spirit of it than one who seems to have no concept of fun or playing by the rules but is let in because it's sort of close-ish to Europe. *cough*Azerbaijan*cough*
This discussion has been closed.