Options

The Terminator to get UK cinema re-release this June

giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
Forum Member
Whilst stumbling around the BBFC website, I found a trailer for the original Terminator that was only classified on Wednesday. It runs at 56 seconds and is rated 12A.

The release date is shown as 22/06/15. At first I think 'That must be a trailer for the Blu-Ray steelbook coming out in June'. I check the release date for the steelbook on Amazon.
It's not for that because that's coming out on 1st of June.

Then I checked the distributor. Park Circus Limited.
:cool: He'll be back... (in cinemas this June) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

There's no info yet on which cinemas are showing it, but I can only hope that it gets shown at a chain such as Cineworld rather than just at an independent cinema (e.g. Prince Charles in London)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Here are the links where I found out the info:
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/terminator-filmtrailer
    http://www.parkcircus.com/films/2964-the-terminator (Look at the 'release dates' column)
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen every Terminator film except this one. I really need to sort that out.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    tombigbee wrote: »
    Seen every Terminator film except this one. I really need to sort that out.

You do, as it is by far the best one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    You do, as it is by far the best one.

It's also my favourite film of all time, even though I only saw it first last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just been re-submitted to the BBFC for this cinema release - and has been given a 15 rating. No change there then, but it says that the release date is 23rd June. The 22nd June must be the release date for the trailer.
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/terminator-film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's also my favourite film of all time, even though I only saw it first last year.

It's a fine choice. T2 remains the favourite for many because at the time, it really set the bar for what big budget action sci-fi should be about, the effects were groundbreaking, and it is a fun film.

However, to my mind it watered down the premise of what the Terminator was all about. The original has a really lean and tight script. There isn't a scene that doesn't propel the story along.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potential double bill with terminator gynesis??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Potential double bill with terminator genysis??????
    A double bill with Judgement Day is more likely (and would be what I'd rather go to TBH) . It could happen seeing as Mad Mad 1+2 are showing as a double bill next month. T1 + T2 would work better than T1 + T5 seeing as they follow on from each other directly and are the two that are widely considered 'classics' out of the series and are most fondly remembered by the general public ( for good reason too).

If a T1 and T2 double bill was announced for the UK then I would cream my pants (sad but true ;-) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    However, to my mind it watered down the premise of what the Terminator was all about. The original has a really lean and tight script. There isn't a scene that doesn't propel the story along.

The script and pacing for T2 was very tight too but some scenes drag out for a little too long; for example,
    the desert scene where they are stocking up for the finale. The only truly necessary parts were John and the T-800 bonding with the high-fives etc. and the superb nuclear nightmare sequence. The chatting drags on for a bit too long and apart from the T-800 picking up the kid (which was pretty funny) and the other two moments, I felt that it dragged on for too long

However, that's a very minor complaint and I thought that the rest of the film was very tight. Which parts did you think dragged out for too long?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The script and pacing for T2 was very tight too but some scenes drag out for a little too long; for example,
    the desert scene where they are stocking up for the finale. The only truly necessary parts were John and the T-800 bonding with the high-fives etc. and the superb nuclear nightmare sequence. The chatting drags on for a bit too long and apart from the T-800 picking up the kid (which was pretty funny) and the other two moments, I felt that it dragged on for too long

However, that's a very minor complaint and I thought that the rest of the film was very tight. Which parts did you think dragged out for too long?

It's not that I felt that scenes in T2 dragged on too long, but compared to the original, it suffers from that bloated lack of rawness that many sequels do. T2 is a great film, don't get me wrong, but it isn't a patch on the first. The first is classic sci-fi, in that the set-up is brilliant, as Reese is portrayed as the creepy, murderous stalker, yet at the pivotal shoot out in the nightclub, his mission is revealed. Shots like the Terminator scanning the club, and Sarah knocks the lipstick on the floor as he passes - nerve shredding.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that I felt that scenes in T2 dragged on too long, but compared to the original, it suffers from that bloated lack of rawness that many sequels do. T2 is a great film, don't get me wrong, but it isn't a patch on the first. The first is classic sci-fi, in that the set-up is brilliant, as Reese is portrayed as the creepy, murderous stalker, yet at the pivotal shoot out in the nightclub, his mission is revealed. Shots like the Terminator scanning the club, and Sarah knocks the lipstick on the floor as he passes - nerve shredding.
    I know what you mean and completely agree. The Terminator (film) is classic sci-fi, but it's also classic debut sci-fi. Relatively short and low-budget, tightly edited, dark (as in little light), no big stars, violence, dodgy FX, and with a not especially great script. Hell, even the title screams B movie, with the use of the definite article. It's not a terminator; it's the terminator. This line sums up the tone of the film for me:
    That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.
    The idea of someone hunting you to kill you, and who will indiscriminately kill anyone between you and them, is terrifying.

T2, as great a film as it is, completely turned the premise of the original on its head. It was a fantastic concept, but for me, it lost the raw intensity of the first film. Whereas the first one is practically a horror film, T2 was pure sci-fi, and poorer for it, although I realise that says more about me than the the film itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    I know what you mean and completely agree. The Terminator (film) is classic sci-fi, but it's also classic debut sci-fi. Relatively short and low-budget, tightly edited, dark (as in little light), no big stars, violence, dodgy FX, and with a not especially great script. Hell, even the title screams B movie, with the use of the definite article. It's not a terminator; it's the terminator. This line sums up the tone of the film for me:
    That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.
    The idea of someone hunting you to kill you, and who will indiscriminately kill anyone between you and them, is terrifying.

T2, as great a film as it is, completely turned the premise of the original on its head. It was a fantastic concept, but for me, it lost the raw intensity of the first film. Whereas the first one is practically a horror film, T2 was pure sci-fi, and poorer for it, although I realise that says more about me than the the film itself.

Yeah, it really is superb. I love the bit when Reese is being questioned in the police station, and when he is trying to explain that you travel naked through the time displacement equipment as nothing dead will go, and then when challenged about the Terminator being metal, he then goes onto say how it is surrounded by living tissue. Then he reveals he can't get back because the equipment has been destroyed, and the psychiatrist reveals how this is a classic paranoid delusion because it doesn't require a shred of proof. That is clever scripting and dialogue in my opinion.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched the first film many times (and have the latest Blu-ray version), but I didn't get to see it at the cinema. Wait and see if it's showing anywhere nearby, and I might go if I can be bothered at the time.