Options

Rebooting my Laptop - Losing Microsoft Office

StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
I need to set my laptop back to it's factory setting , however I am paying monthly for Microsoft Office, it was installed via the Microsoft website.

Once I have done this, how can I get Microsoft back? I have no product key or back up disk. It was installed from Microsoft website. Can I re-install it onto my laptop? Is it quick an easy?

I'm so stressed out over this. :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaceySky wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to reboot my laptop, however I am paying monthly for Microsoft Office, it was installed via the Microsoft website.

Once I have rebooted my laptop, how can I get Microsoft back? I have no product key or back up disk. It was installed from Microsoft website. Can I re-install it onto my laptop? Is it quick an easy?

I'm so stressed out over this. :(

I think the word you are looking for is reinstall?

You may have linked the Office purchase to a O365 Account - so refreshing (Win 8.1) won't lose the installed software. Resetting to factory would, but logging with the same O365 Account should allow you to recover your subscription.

https://login.microsoftonline.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=4&ct=1429997046&rver=6.4.6456.0&wp=MCMBI&wreply=https:%2F%2Fportal.office.com%2Flanding.aspx%3Ftarget%3D%252fdefault.aspx%253fculture%253den-GB%2526Country%253dGB%2526ali%253d1&lc=2057&id=501392
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't rebooted your laptop, you have done a reinstall by the sound of it.

To get Microsoft Office back by logging in to Office 365 online:

https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/Download-and-install-Office-365-Home-Personal-or-University-on-your-PC-or-Mac-7a28382b-7015-4b5a-9d9b-650d15742c95?ui=en-US&rs=en-SG&ad=SG
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reboot means shutting down the computer then restarting it. That action should not involve any loss of data as it is something you do every day.

However I suspect that you are not talking about rebooting but wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows etc.

I assume that you have a full working back-up of all your data before you start this process?

If you are paying for Office each month then presumably this is Office 365? If so all you have to do is sign in using your account details at www.office.com/myaccount on the PC that you want to install Office on and follow the onscreen instructions to install Office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry didn't mean reboot.
    I meant put it back to it's factory settings.

I have a virus on my laptop.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What activity gave rise to you thinking you had a virus?
    Why didn't you get the virus removed?
    How do you plan to stop a reinfection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    What activity gave rise to you thinking you had a virus?
    Why didn't you get the virus removed?
    How do you plan to stop a reinfection?

I looked it all up on google.
    I have no choice but to wipe my laptop clean.

Seriously though, why all the questions?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a bit drastic to reset to factory defaults.
    Perhaps if you gave more info, you may get a more precise and less painful solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Its a bit drastic to reset to factory defaults.
    Perhaps if you gave more info, you may get a more precise and less painful solution.
    I've looked into it, researched it online. Some people have said to uninstall the virus i have to wipe my laptop clean.
    I don't know I'm not good with computers. I have tried uninstalling it but it won't let me.
    Some people have said, install this as this should help you uninstall the virus. So I did as they say, and it never worked for me.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people think they need a certain fix and it might be easier another way.
    (Factory Reset is usually a last option)

A few more questions, then 'we' are good to go

What Make and model laptop?
    What version of Windows? (W7, W8 or W8.1)
    What name of virus did you see/Google?
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    I looked it all up on google.
    I have no choice but to wipe my laptop clean.

Seriously though, why all the questions?

To help advise you better. As you don't know computers well people need to get as much information from you before they can help you properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony Vaio
    Windows 7
    Binkiland and Strong Signal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people think they need a certain fix and it might be easier another way.
    (Factory Reset is usually a last option)

A few more questions, then 'we' are good to go

What Make and model laptop?
    What version of Windows? (W7, W8 or W8.1)
    What name of virus did you see/Google?

Sony Vaio
    Windows 7
    Binkiland and Strong Signal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can see, they can be dealt with scans from Malwarebytes Free and ADWCleaner

If you haven't already scanned with them, shutdown the laptop. Power-on again and repeatedly tap F8 until you get a menu.

Select Safe Mode with Networking.
    Download Malwarebytes and ADWCleaner and scan (one at a time) with them.

Afterwards, check your browser extensions/add-ons for unwanted items and remove/delete them.
    Which browsers do you use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I can see, they can be dealt with scans from Malwarebytes Free and ADWCleaner

If you haven't already scanned with them, shutdown the laptop. Power-on again and repeatedly tap F8 until you get a menu.

Select Safe Mode with Networking.
    Download Malwarebytes and ADWCleaner and scan (one at a time) with them.

Afterwards, check your browser extensions/add-ons for unwanted items and remove/delete them.
    Which browsers do you use?
    I might try this, cheers.
    Chrome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, while still in Safe Mode, go back to Control Panel > Uninstall a program (Programs and Features) and have another go at uninstalling anything you don't like the look of.