Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advantage BBC Two has over Ch4, is that it is a BBC channel. The majority of the dramas that are doing well skew old. Ch4 is not appealing to that audience who mostly watch dramas.

The problem Indian Summers had was lack of interesting stories and characters. Critics comparing it to DA suggested it was better, but the ratings prove the audience don't think this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also it looks like Bradley Walsh is the host for all episodes of Palladium. Good choice.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 has Russell Howard and Family Guy now.

Though with their biggest hitter, Top Gear, on hold at the moment, there isn't much else that gets a big young audience. Certainly the former DEF 2 strand being occupied by the elderly skewing and overkilled Eggheads won;t have many young people tuning in.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also it looks like Bradley Walsh is the host for all episodes of Palladium. Good choice.

No he isn't, he's just hosting the first episode. Not sure why they haven't got him to do all of them really. The other hosts this series are Jimmy Carr, Alexander Armstrong, Jason Manford and Jack Whitehall.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It wouldn't surpise me that ITV would consider an hour of Emmerdale on Tuesdays, as it could harm EE and beef up their terrible Tuesday schedule. Yet this could lead to allegations of overkill if they keep the second Thursday episode and could push the soap even further down the ratings.
    I don't think they'd be able to manage an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One of my friends witnessed a few days' filming, and spoke to cast and crew a few weeks ago, and they're pretty much working their fingers to the bone, as it is.

It certainly doesn't seem like a glamorous life for the cast.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'd be able to manage an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One of my friends witnessed a few days' filming, and spoke to cast and crew a few weeks ago, and they're pretty much working their fingers to the bone, as it is.

It certainly doesn't seem like a glamorous life for the cast.

Emmerdale is on too much as it is, it would benefit from cutting back to just five episodes a week.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Emmerdale is on too much as it is, it would benefit from cutting back to just five episodes a week.

All the soaps would benefit from scaling back - it might just prolong their usefulness in the future.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though with their biggest hitter, Top Gear, on hold at the moment, there isn't much else that gets a big young audience. Certainly the former DEF 2 strand being occupied by the elderly skewing and overkilled Eggheads won;t have many young people tuning in.

That is the ideal time to show something like Free Speech then move Eggheads to 19:00, The BBC2 answer to One Show.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    All the soaps would benefit from scaling back - it might just prolong their usefulness in the future.
    EastEnders doesn't. It's only n 4 times a week and the Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri works well. The BBC only has one primetime soap anyway (Holby and Casualty are Drama Serials)

Any EastEnders special episode/ones missed could do Thursday or Friday for an hour

ITV soaps need looking at.

Emmerdale 5 nights Monday to Friday at 7:00pm works. Any special episode could air on a Thursday at 8:00pm

Corrie is also fine at 5 a week airing Monday and Wednesday as usual but dropping the 8:30pm Friday and airing at 7:00pm Sundays

Specials/Missed episodes could double up on Wednesday or air Friday 8:30

Hollyoaks,Doctors and the Aussie soaps are fine as they are.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    No he isn't, he's just hosting the first episode. Not sure why they haven't got him to do all of them really. The other hosts this series are Jimmy Carr, Alexander Armstrong, Jason Manford and Jack Whitehall.

Im surprised they asked Jimmy Carr again as in my opinion he was the worst host last time. He just cant do pre watershed.

Loved the story about Peter Kay as he was meant to host it all last time but made strange requests such as The Rolling Stones and Abba
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders doesn't. It's only n 4 times a week and the Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri works well. The BBC only has one primetime soap anyway (Holby and Casualty are Drama Serials)

Any EastEnders special episode/ones missed could do Thursday or Friday for an hour

ITV soaps need looking at.

Emmerdale 5 nights Monday to Friday at 7:00pm works. Any special episode could air on a Thursday at 8:00pm

Corrie is also fine at 5 a week airing Monday and Wednesday as usual but dropping the 8:30pm Friday and airing at 7:00pm Sundays

Specials/Missed episodes could double up on Wednesday or air Friday 8:30

Hollyoaks,Doctors and the Aussie soaps are fine as they are.

I would love the Friday 8:30pm Corrie to move to Sundays. The recent Sunday episodes due to football and other things have been some of the best episodes this year. Corrie works quite well when episodes are set on a Sunday as you feel the sense of community and warmth that Corrie does so well. The only problem is that putting it against Countryfile simply isn't an option imo, so you'd have to work around that.

As for ED, in an ideal world I'd cut the Thursday 8pm episode. However that won't happen. Instead they could move it and try extending the Wednesday episode to an hour with Corrie at 8pm.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have to say that Podark was a beautiful piece of television I loved every second. Also am a bit behind, but great stuff for itv last night. Both BGT and NW doing well.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Not tempting fate, but in years to come I can see Emmerdale being one of the big British three that could be shifted into daytime and then possibly scrapped. It narrowly avoided the axe in 1993 when the Farm bit was dropped from its name and the plane crash doubled its ratings, but is definitely the third soap and at one time was a distant fifth behind the British big two and the Aussie big two. ITV seem to be hammering it these days and the ratings suggest Emmerdale isn't benefiting.
    All the soaps are down now. At least BBC One has never upped Eastenders episodes to five a week and even did away with the omnibus, as so few people were watching it and it was considered old hat, while if you are desperate enough, ITV still have two omnibuses of CS and Emmmerdale at weekends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabby Logan is hosting ITV's Flock Stars according to Applause Store.

Surely this is scraping the barrel for her career?

And ITV are filming a new series of Piers Morgan's Life Stories. Considering how poorly this rated last time, I'm surprised that think a new series is a good idea. Then again commissioning programmes that are below 3m seems to be ITV's new strategy:
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not tempting fate, but in years to come I can see Emmerdale being one of the big British three that could be shifted into daytime and then possibly scrapped. It narrowly avoided the axe in 1993 when the Farm bit was dropped from its name and the plane crash doubled its ratings, but is definitely the third soap and at one time was a distant fifth behind the British big two and the Aussie big two. ITV seem to be hammering it these days and the ratings suggest Emmerdale isn't benefiting.
    All the soaps are down now. At least BBC One has never upped Eastenders episodes to five a week and even did away with the omnibus, as so few people were watching it and it was considered old hat, while if you are desperate enough, ITV still have two omnibuses of CS and Emmmerdale at weekends.

You say that but it's ratings aren't actually that bad in the sense that they are still usually within a million of the big two. I'm still firmly of the opinion that if Corrie was stronger then it would drag ED up with it. Also EE at 4 a week is the equivalent to 5 episodes of the ITV soaps in terms of actual episode length.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, but most of BBC 3's core audience will probably have been out or watching BGT. Also relieved the BBC has postponed the station's closure, as this is the best of the youth oriented channels.

I would of thought itv2 has that title not BBC3
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    You say that but it's ratings aren't actually that bad in the sense that they are still usually within a million of the big two. I'm still firmly of the opinion that if Corrie was stronger then it would drag ED up with it. Also EE at 4 a week is the equivalent to 5 episodes of the ITV soaps in terms of actual episode length.

I've seen in various places people saying they've given up on itv soaps because CS is so bad. ED is handcuffed to CS and has been since it moved to 7pm. While this is good when CS is doing well, it suffers when CS does poorly. Some still ignorantly think of it as the farm soap too when animals are rarely featured due to the cost.

ED needs to lose that 8pm episode on a Thursday though as it forces some kind of dramatic event every week which makes the flow of stories sometimes seem rushed and at other times stifled.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Emmerdale did of course start as a daytime soap, in the 70s I remember it being on after the news around 1 p.m. and it was a sort of TV version of The Archers with lots of advice about cows, sheep etc. No sex in those days (if you see what I mean:D)
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for what its worth the seemingly dead US soaps, have rebounded a bit after a few of the were axed, so loosing a few episode of Emmerdale might help
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poldark - 5.9m
    Vera - 5m
    From Overnights TV
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Poldark - 5.9m
    Vera - 5m
    From Overnights TV

Interesting that they have both gone up.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poldark - 5.9m
    Vera - 5m
    From Overnights TV

Poldark very well received by the Daily Express today although still cant quite resist pointing out that the seventies version got twice the number of viewers. Poldark though eminently more watchable than The Village, and is returning next year (there is seemingly talk it could run to five series based on the number of novels-not sure whether it will have the legs for that). The BBC has War and Peace too-wonder when that will be shown.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poldark - 5.9m
    Vera - 5m
    From Overnights TV

Strong ratings there. An excellent finale bounce for Poldark and impressive for Vera to grow against that. 5 million is a solid audience especially with such a rancid lead-in.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,700
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 picked up strongly at 9pm without Indian Summers dragging down their ratings. Film The Impossible scored 1.37m (7.3%) and was well on top over C5's The Last Stand (0.95m/4.9%).

Away from the main five, BBC Three bounced back in some style from its nightmare Saturday to score a massive 1.14m (5.1%) for its latest Indiana Jones repeat. This time it was BBC Four's turn to struggle; unable to top 170,000 all evening.

Hawaii Five-O improved to 0.37m (1.6%) for Sky 1 and the Britain's Got More Talent repeat held 0.45m (2.4%) for ITV2.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,700
    Forum Member
    Our old friend from last week Celebrity Squares continues to look doomed, going backwards slightly in week two to score a pitiful 2.11m.

Countryfile once again had three times as many viewers.
This discussion has been closed.