Options

Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 84,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, some predictions for the results:-

Conservatives 295
    Labour 265
    SNP 35
    LibDems 30
    Plaid 4
    UKIP 2
    Green 1
    NI parties 18

I think most gains for Labour will be London (eg Hendon, Brent Central, Enfield North and Croydon Central) and the Mets, as people are more used to Labour representation there. A notable case in point is West Yorkshire (Leeds NW, Pudsey, Bradford East, Bradford West, Calder Valley, Dewsbury, and maybe Elmet & Rothwell and Keighley). I doubt they will win many other "Middle England" seats that were theirs in 1997/2001/05 but Tory in 1992 & 2010. So, places like Hastings, Harlow, Worcester and Chester seem likely to remain Tory. Seats that were Tory in 1992 but Labour in 2010, such as Exeter and Harrow West, are likely to remain Labour. Seats that were Labour in 1992 and Tory in 2010, such as Warwickshire North and Pendle, could also be easy gains for Labour.

I think the LibDems will lose all seats they gained from Labour in 2005/10, and a few to the Tories which were recent gains or where they have done well in local elections (such as Eastbourne, Wells and Sutton). They could face wipe-out in Wales, losing Brecon & Radnor to the Tories, Cardiff Central to Labour and Ceredigion to Plaid Cymru. In Scotland they will hold at least Orkney & Shetland and probably also Charles Kennedy's seat and the Borders seat of Michael Moore. They seem certain to lose Gordon and Inverness, and regrettably also East Dunbartonshire. Despite the London losses I have predicted, I think Simon Hughes and Vince Cable are safe in Bermondsey and Twickenham.

The 2 seats I predict for UKIP are Clacton and Thanet South.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people are mocking the Conservatives for a lack of surge but questions have to be asked of Labour - an unpopular Government which contains their biggest opposition in terms of a national left wing party whose vote is now falling through the floor and yet they still can't get to the magic total of 326. I don't buy the press having that much influence nowadays, I think the papers are treated as little more than comics by the majority now.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Election 2015 polls: This is how Ed Miliband gets to 323 seats and becomes Prime Minister

http://may2015.com/featured/election-2015-polls-this-is-how-ed-miliband-gets-to-323-seats-and-becomes-prime-minister/

;-)

It gets even more interesting,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/how-private-renters-could-swing-election-labour
    How private renters could swing the election for Labour

There are 37 Labour target seats in which the number of privately-renting swing voters exceeds the ruling party's majority

and,....
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2555-could-claimants-choose-the-next-govenment
    Could claimants choose the next government?

This article was updated on 13 January 2015 to take into account more recent claimant count statistics from the DWP.

Working age claimants hold the balance of power in enough marginal seats to potentially decide who governs Britain at the next election, and yet they are treated by politicians with such contempt that you might imagine they had no vote at all. Could that all be about to change?

I also remember reading a while back that there are something like 19 Tory/coalition marginals in which the number of people being punished for spare room crime is higher than the current Tory majority, really don't see many of them saying "yes please" to a continuation of the spare room fine.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    A lot of people are mocking the Conservatives for a lack of surge but questions have to be asked of Labour - an unpopular Government which contains their biggest opposition in terms of a national left wing party whose vote is now falling through the floor and yet they still can't get to the magic total of 326. I don't buy the press having that much influence nowadays, I think the papers are treated as little more than comics by the majority now.

Their on course to gain around 10 more seats than 2010, although reading some posts on here you'd think he's on the brink of a landslide

Hardly a great result.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    YouGov/Sun:

CON 33 (+1)
    LAB 34 (=)
    LIB 8 (-1)
    UKIP 14 (=)
    GRN 5 (-1)

The Tories are on the run.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Labour have recently come off back of three terms in power. They haven't lost to a majority for 20 odd years.

It would be very odd for them just to walk straight back in, they don't have automatic right to govern you know. In fact, they have no right to be anywhere near stopping a Tory majority right now. It's supposed to be the Tory turn now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The Tories are on the run.

Hardly, but they certainly need to be doing much better if they have any hope left.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a amazing feat, you manage to whinge on every post about paying a small premimum for having an additional room in your heavily subsidised state owned property
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    It is a amazing feat, you manage to whinge on every post about paying a small premimum for having an additional room in your heavily subsidised state owned property

Hey up, I was wondering where my little follower had got to recently, heart just not in it any more?
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly, but they certainly need to be doing much better if they have any hope left.

Same goes for Labour. Hardly on course for a Landslide are they?
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 84,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my predictions in post 1077 earlier this evening, I meant that the Tories could gain Kingston & Surbiton from the LibDems, not Sutton. Sutton is possible too but less likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Same goes for Labour. Hardly on course for a Landslide are they?

Can't actually see where I have said they are?
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubt there will much change in the polls for a whole, big crunch day is Thursday when Cameron, Miliband and Clegg appear separately on Question Time answering questions from the audience then there's the 3rd Scottish debate next weekend. Ofcause if the royal baby is born Thursday that will make things interesting as far as Question time goes
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    *Wonders if the Sun regrets using Yougov for their polling* :D

You could wonder the same thing about the Daily Mirror and Survation.:p
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Labour have recently come off back of three terms in power. They haven't lost to a majority for 20 odd years.

It would be very odd for them just to walk straight back in, they don't have automatic right to govern you know. In fact, they have no right to be anywhere near stopping a Tory majority right now. It's supposed to be the Tory turn now.

They don't have an automatic right to govern but, back in 2010 prior to the election result, it was said that whoever gained power would have to make some very unpopular decisions. And so they have. For me, Labour should be more on the front foot than they are considering.

I do think you have a point about 'odd to walk straight back in'. It's my belief that, if history was to repeat itself, then Labour should have won in 2010 by a narrow margin (a la 1992 for the Conservatives) and basically make themselves unelectable for a long spell due to unpopular decisions they would have had to make coupled with simply tiring of being in power. Plus it would have probably given the Conservatives a kick up the backside (like Labour had under Kinnock, Smith and Blair) to sort out the party for once and for all. Cameron was supposed to be the Kinnock figure, not the Blair.

The best thing to happen for Labour was not forming a government in 2010.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    RobMiles wrote: »
    You could wonder the same thing about the Daily Mirror and Survation.:p

Well, I suppose it's one way of putting the fear of <undefined> into their readers and motivating them to go out and vote...
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my predictions in post 1077 earlier this evening, I meant that the Tories could gain Kingston & Surbiton from the LibDems, not Sutton. Sutton is possible too but less likely.

I noticed you had the SNP on 35 seats. That seems to be below the low end of the numbers being predicted. Most are saying between 40 and 45. What is your reasoning for this?
    I am not saying you are wrong just interested.
  • Options
    ArcticchrisArcticchris Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doubt there will much change in the polls for a whole, big crunch day is Thursday when Cameron, Miliband and Clegg appear separately on Question Time answering questions from the audience then there's the 3rd Scottish debate next weekend. Ofcause if the royal baby is born Thursday that will make things interesting as far as Question time goes

It really shouldn't, it's a birth not a death and as such is already widely known. If it influences anything it would be a poor reflection on us collectively
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really shouldn't, it's a birth not a death and as such is already widely known. If it influences anything it would be a poor reflection on us collectively

Nah it won't influence anything, I more meant dominating the news, so might be less coverage of the question time interviews
  • Options
    ArcticchrisArcticchris Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah it won't influence anything, I more meant dominating the news, so might be less coverage of the question time interviews

Thats possible I will agree. Thing is how much more than gender, weight and time of birth plus health of mother and child is actually news. Should be 3 minutes per bulletin max, no one needs to hear from the royal tragics who wait outside for a 2 second glimpse of nothing that makes them feel part of the event.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/it-snp-avalanche-sturgeon-party-leads.html

"It's an SNP avalanche : Sturgeon's party leads by THIRTY-TWO points in new TNS poll
    Scottish voting intentions for the May 2015 UK general election (TNS, 1st-19th April) :

SNP 54% (+2)
    Labour 22% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (n/c)
    Liberal Democrats 6% (n/c)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    UKIP 2% (+1)"
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/it-snp-avalanche-sturgeon-party-leads.html

"It's an SNP avalanche : Sturgeon's party leads by THIRTY-TWO points in new TNS poll
    Scottish voting intentions for the May 2015 UK general election (TNS, 1st-19th April) :

SNP 54% (+2)
    Labour 22% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (n/c)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    UKIP 2% (+1)"

Looks like a wipe out for Labour in Scotland.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

SNP 54% (+2)
    Labour 22% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (n/c)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    UKIP 2% (+1)"

wow, would that completely wipe Lab out possibly?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

SNP 54% (+2)
    Labour 22% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (n/c)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    UKIP 2% (+1)"

If that were to be the result, no-one could realistically claim that the SNP don't have a mandate...
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    If that were to be the result, no-one could realistically claim that the SNP don't have a mandate...

Do you think them numbers would completely wipe Labour out in scotland?
This discussion has been closed.