Options

HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Why? Bran is nothing to Drogon. But he's everything to Daenerys. Just look at his name. He's named after Khal Drogo. The other two are named after her brothers, one of whom died before she was even conceived and the other was abusive.

It's TV/drama-production 101.

They don't have the will, time or budget to focus on all three characters so they make one most prominent and familiar to the viewer and use them as the protagonist or plot device.

It's only logical that the character that the producers are putting front and centre is the one that's going to be utilised.

As for having nothing to do with Bran. Until the end of season 4 Stannis/Melisandre/Davos had nothing to do with Jon Snow. Daenerys had nothing to do with Tyrion, and yet they're now on course to meet up 5 series into the show.

I'm not saying this Bran/Drogon theory is going to happen. It's just hypothetical.

But, just hypothetically, if there's going to be any sort of showdown between the Westerosi and the White Walkers it's likely that dragons could be involved in that since it's fire versus ice, fire is the only thing that can kill Wights, "dragon glass" kills White Walkers, etc.

We already know that Bran is destined to be involved in any such conflict, should it occur. And, logically, if any of the dragons is involved, it's going to be the one they've exposed the viewers to most of all.

But it's all just theory. :)
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something a little uncomfortable about 33 year old Natalie Dormer and the actor playing Tommen, who i think is 17. Why didn't they cast a younger actress to play Marjory? It just doesn't work no matter how good an actress Natalie is.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    Something a little uncomfortable about 33 year old Natalie Dormer and the actor playing Tommen, who i think is 17. Why didn't they cast a younger actress to play Marjory? It just doesn't work no matter how good an actress Natalie is.
    It is a bit weird. I don't think the issue is Natalie's age though, but that the writers, for some reason, felt the need to make them consummate their marriage. The original Tommen was young enough so that they could have gotten away with having them wait, so they must have recast with an older actor specifically for that to happen.

Ergh.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come Jon Snow isn't telling Stannis that Bran is alive, I'm sure I remember Sam telling him that he met him. Wouldn't take too much for him to figure out Rickon is still alive too.
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see Jon Snow asserting his authority by chopping rat features. Well deserved and thoroughly satisfying.

If Arya Stark becomes no one, to become A Girl(?), then doesn't she have to put away Arya's death list , along with everything else that was Arya? Thus defeating the purpose of becoming A Girl at all?

For the first time in 5 seasons I liked something Sansa did. I loved the way she made her stern, gloomy face give way to "delight" upon meeting the Boltons. Good, very promising. She is apparently just another piece on the board, being moved by Littlefinger but still, progress is not to be sniffed at.

What's going on with the Lord of Light types? One supports Stannis, the other supports Dani. Twisted firestarters.

Trust Tyrion to be drawn to a **** because of her mind. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How come Jon Snow isn't telling Stannis that Bran is alive, I'm sure I remember Sam telling him that he met him. Wouldn't take too much for him to figure out Rickon is still alive too.
    Well, they forgot they gave Cersei an extra child and that Varys was spying on Daenerys is season 1 so I think Jon knowing Bran is alive may be something else we can add to that list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we ever going to reach a point where Sansa is not surrounded by backstabbers and psychopaths? I don't think I'm going to enjoy watching her at Winterfell with Ramsay and his jealous psycho wenches. :(
    mindset wrote: »
    If Arya Stark becomes no one, to become A Girl(?), then doesn't she have to put away Arya's death list , along with everything else that was Arya? Thus defeating the purpose of becoming A Girl at all?

That scene where she couldn't bring herself to throw Needle away was so sad. I just want her to see Jon again and give him a big hug like she did when they parted in the first episode all those years ago. :(

Surely she's going to remain Arya, either by failing her training or by dispensing with their rules once she's become a badass. :cool:

What's going on with the Lord of Light types? One supports Stannis, the other supports Dani. Twisted firestarters.

I'm wondering what that means too. After all we've witnessed of Melisandre's powers we were lead to believe that there might be some truth to what she was saying and predicting.

But now perhaps we've been given a sign that it's just another load of hokum for people to take advantage and manipulate people with. :confused:
    Trust Tyrion to be drawn to a **** because of her mind. :D

At least he stayed clear of the Daenerys lookalike. That would've made things rather awkward should he eventually come face to face with the real thing. :D
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's starting to pick up a bit now after some scene setting in the first 2 episodes. RIP Janos Slynt, no longer the most overdue death in the series.

Also noticed... the witch told young Cersei that someone younger and more beautiful would take everything from her, and they mocked Brienne by calling her "Brienne the Beauty"...

I might be way off with that though being as they're at opposite ends of the country.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that Littlefinger didn't manage to find any info (if true?) on Ramsey Bolton. Taking a gamble, for sure. It seems like that there is plenty of characters going to meet up at Winterfell soon. I wonder how many troops Stannis has? Will any of the Northern houses help him?

I thought episode three was the best one, of this series, so far :)
    Also noticed... the witch told young Cersei that someone younger and more beautiful would take everything from her, and they mocked Brienne by calling her "Brienne the Beauty"...

I might be way off with that though being as they're at opposite ends of the country.

I was thinking about that comment the other week. I'd say that Margaery Tyrell is too obvious. Who knows it could end up being Margaery.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what an AWESOME episode, not through action ..... but PSYCHOLOGY!

littlefinger is well on his way in his grand plan, stannis about to leave the wall ..... i think that jon snow will make a deal with the wildlings to protect the wall ..... and him getting revenge on that cowardly little git! there's no time in the night's watch for people who are afraid ;-)

maergery and cersei was incredible, all little twitches and looks away, probably thinking about stabbing each other in the eye with a massive sword or sommit :D so delicious that they TRULY HATE EACH OTHER! cersei's mind is all over the place what with jaime off to get their daughter ..... cersei move towards maergery at the end make it VERY clear, she ain't going anywhere! and might have found a nice ally in the high sparrow as well ..... building her own little confederacy!

and jorah ain't going anywhere either, not that he's got his "currency" to get back into daenerys's good books again ^_^

and who the bloody hell Is under that cloth in ..... I JUST READ ON GoTwiki who it is!!!!!

we can rebuild him :D

and arys couldn't have thrown the needle into the water ..... not for ANYTHING! almost heartbreaking to see her face while thinking about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i forgot about brienne and pog's conversation too ..... that was actually a very heartfelt story she told him, really nice! they two are bloody great, real pity she blatted the hound off that cliff ..... imagine if they were actually together, they would be bouncing off each other :D

soooooooooooooo wanna have him back on his feet!
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    It is a bit weird. I don't think the issue is Natalie's age though, but that the writers, for some reason, felt the need to make them consummate their marriage. The original Tommen was young enough so that they could have gotten away with having them wait, so they must have recast with an older actor specifically for that to happen.

Ergh.

It made sense to show the scene to show how she was using sex as a method of control over Tommen. The actor I believe is 17 so its not like he isn't legally old enough to have sex. Starring in a huge hit tv show means he is probably quite experienced already!

It will be interesting to see which Queen Jorah was referring to at the end of the episode.

I wonder if Littlefinger knows more about Ramsey's sadism than he was making out....Although that doesn't tie in with the general view that he loves Sansa.

Poor Olyver goes from naked in one episode to wearing a ludicrous outfit in this one!
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know which Queen the knight was referring to at the end of the episode ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and back to the bolton household ..... sansa's look of unbelievable HAAAAAAATRED towards roose when they met, then only protocol making her snap out of that and greet him!

that place is gonna erupt soon .....

man this episode was the best in a LONG WHILE!
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a good episode.

I'm ridiculously worried for Sansa though. She is just getting passed from psycho to psycho. And even though she has learnt how to play the game a little bit, I'm not sure that really matters when you're around someone like Ramsey Bastard Bolton.

Arya channelling The Hound with her shouting C*** was brilliant :D

And thank the seven that Janos Slynt has been dealt with finally. Snivelling little shit.

The best scene for me was Qyburn and the body though. What a nutter. It made me jump, and reminded me of the film Audition with the body in the bag scene. Loving Qyburn and how Cersei just doesn't give a shit what he's up to!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I wonder if Littlefinger knows more about Ramsey's sadism than he was making out....Although that doesn't tie in with the general view that he loves Sansa.

I don't think he does. I don't think he really cares one bit for Sansa either.

She's just another pawn for him to sacrifice in his quest for power.

But we might finally see some pangs of guilt or humanity if anything happens to Sansa at the hands of Ramsay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MichPlat wrote: »
    Anyone know which Queen the knight was referring to at the end of the episode ?
    Well, it was Jorah it shouldn't be hard to guess ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry but i got to say this ..... this may be the BEST EPISODE they've ever done!!!
    not a single second of waste in it's running time ..... and it didn't even have daenerys in it!!!
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Littlefinger liked the stunt that Roose Bolton pulled on him? If he cares for Sansa then surely he has another plan that we don't know about at the moment. After all, the Boltons do flay folk / murdered her brother! Or it could be the case, that he doesn't care as Malliday points out.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand out scene for me tonight was Janos Slynt getting his comeuppance. Long overdue!

Also loved Arya's scene with Needle. So glad she didn't throw it away.

Nice to see Jorah return - I bet he's been at that brothel practically every night since he was exiled so could drool over that **** who was dressed as Danaerys :D

Poor Sansa - she's had her fair share of run-ins with psychos. And I think this next one will be the worst of the lot.

And this slippery Qyburn character - what a weirdo!!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some great non vocal acting from Maisie Williams and Alfie Allen (who didn't have a line in the episode).

So how did Varys plan on getting across the River while staying in their (bigger on the inside) wagon? There was no way that wagon or any vehicle larger than a bicycle was getting across that bridge.

Maybe there's a 2nd bridge for non foot traffic further down.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am worried for Sansa to be honest. This show has a tradition of building up characters we identify with, then killing them off. As things stand we are down to Daenarys, Tyrion, Sansa, Jon and Arya.

We can't really afford to lose any of them before finale without viewers losing faith with the series altogether (Thomas Hardy style). But you can't help but feel Sansa is being set up as the next sacrifice and Brienne will not be able to save her.

I'm worried - worried that if the writers stop caring about the last five main characters I'll just stop caring about the whole programme.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Are we ever going to reach a point where Sansa is not surrounded by backstabbers and psychopaths?

That scene where she couldn't bring herself to throw Needle away was so sad. I just want her to see Jon again and give him a big hug like she did when they parted in the first episode all those years ago. :(

I was hoping for a Ned & Jon flashback when she first got her Needle and maybe one where she was trained in Kingslanding.

It was a great scene.

Sansa did the same in the first few seasons with King Joffery, she hated his guts but smiled for him etc...
    I wonder how many troops Stannis has? Will any of the Northern houses help him?

I know the Night's Watch are neutral but have a feeling Mr Snow can have some sort of pull with the northern folk.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am worried for Sansa to be honest. This show has a tradition of building up characters we identify with, then killing them off. As things stand we are down to Daenarys, Tyrion, Sansa, Jon and Arya.

You can scratch Daenarys and Sansa off that list for all I care, those two can bite the dust as long as Tyrion, Arya, Jon, Bran and Sam all survive.
  • Options
    sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if this has been asked before, I haven't read all of the thread, but how can a character who is already married to somebody else get married again. while the first husband is still very much alive?