Options

sexual harassment for WOLF-WHISTLING

Comments

• Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    If that level of assumption is acceptable then the same observation certainly applies to you.

How could anyone pick it up as it would upset the stupid cow
    And what makes you think that of me, as I would not get upset over a wolf whistle or pick up lines been using me like that stupid cow
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So these men walk up to her and start leering and wolfwhistling as she is trying to get past, and some people find that acceptable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    So these men walk up to her and start leering and wolfwhistling as she is trying to get past, and some people find that acceptable?

But going to the cops over it is b*****y stupid just move on and forget it.
    Why wonder if she looks at men in a sexually that she likes.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the same way that some on here think it's acceptable to use derogatory and insulting language towards some women just because they hold a different view of what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour towards women.

There's a quite nasty group of women haters here - including some women - who don't actually get the right to be able to go about your life without being subjected to unwanted attention. Of course they'll claim it's only a certain type of woman that gets to them, generally someone they see as a feminist.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    And what makes you think that of me, as I would not get upset over a wolf whistle or pick up lines been using me like that stupid cow

I worked in a bar years ago and had to put up with constant sexual harassment from men, including groping whenever they got a chance. Some men obviously don't realise what their behaviour does to a woman, or perhaps they don't care, I don't know.

Calling her a stupid cow because you don't agree with her is a bit immature though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I worked in a bar years ago and had to put up with constant sexual harassment from men, including groping whenever they got a chance. Some men obviously don't realise what their behaviour does to a woman, or perhaps they don't care, I don't know.

Calling her a stupid cow because you don't agree with her is a bit immature though.
    groping is definitely wrong and not on, but chat up lines are ok.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

nine of ten are aghast at the "misunderstanding" of their "bit of fun" when they get kicked out for it too.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I think that we will never know the truth behind this story. My view is that good old fashioned, good natured and well intended wolf whistling is perfectly harmless and should brighten the day for most young ladies.

However there is a limit and when the comments become a bit too coarse or if the men concerned block her passage (oooh er missus) along the pavement, then it is clearly unnaceptable.

Whether the young lady is motivated by understandable feelings of intimidation or whether she is motivated by bunny boiling feminism is open to speculation and I, for one have no way of knowing.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the same way that some on here think it's acceptable to use derogatory and insulting language towards some women just because they hold a different view of what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour towards women.

There's a quite nasty group of women haters here - including some women - who don't actually get the right to be able to go about your life without being subjected to unwanted attention. Of course they'll claim it's only a certain type of woman that gets to them, generally someone they see as a feminist.

I'd rather live in a country with the heretics free to express themselves rather than one with your puritanical 'ban this sick filth' worldview. I suppose the police who dismissed this Poppy's claims were an extension of this supposed cult of 'nasty group of women haters' for daring to challenge the ridiculousness of her trivial complaints?
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    I miss those days of being wolf whistled .... :(

Me too - it would make my day. If there was a thumbs-down equivalent whistle, that's all I'd get now.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not every woman finds it flattering to be wolf whistled. Many find it intrusive and deeply embarrassing . A friend of mine who had a particularly large bust would wear a jacket even on hot summer days to disguise it as she was horrified by the unwanted attention it attracted. Not all women find it flattering.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could have grown a brain and realised that daily harassmen for a month including approaching her while you are just trying to walk down a street is taking things to far.

It shouldn't really take the second clue of her having to contact the company and asking them to prevent it for her to be able to get to work in peace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3057347/Police-probe-construction-firm-23-year-old-woman-accused-builders-sexual-harassment-WOLF-WHISTLING.html
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work on building sites around Edinburgh during summer as a lad, and also after college when work was hard to find.

The wolf-whistling and cat-calling from the guys I worked beside was probably the most embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed. You could see a massive change in posture from women, mostly young female students attending Uni when it happened. They went from being very casual, going about their business to very uncomfortable in a split-second.

The few times I pointed this out, I was berated form being accused of being gay, to spoiling their fun. And you know...if those guys think you're an issue and take a dislike to you, there's a lot than can go wrong on site.

Is it sexual harassment? I'm edging towards an answer of "yes" here given what I've witnessed in the past. Such an open display of sexual attraction from random men tends to make women feel uncomfortable and threatened - that's enough for me to justify a police warning and perhaps charges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have grown a brain and realised that daily harassmen for a month including approaching her while you are just trying to walk down a street is taking things to far.

It shouldn't really take the second clue of her having to contact the company and asking them to prevent it for her to be able to get to work in peace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3057347/Police-probe-construction-firm-23-year-old-woman-accused-builders-sexual-harassment-WOLF-WHISTLING.html
    so do you think it is wrong to approach women. that you find attractive.And how do you feel when women do it to men.
    I do not have the confidence myself to approach women I find attractive.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so do you think it is wrong to approach women. that you find attractive.

There's a time, place and way.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the video they didn't do any of that - she walked past a building site and heard a whistle which she assumed was aimed at her and reported it to the police

it says in the article someone approached her and said "Morning Love" but there's no evidence that this offensive remark was ever made
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I used to work on building sites around Edinburgh during summer as a lad, and also after college when work was hard to find.

The wolf-whistling and cat-calling from the guys I worked beside was probably the most embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed. You could see a massive change in posture from women, mostly young female students attending Uni when it happened. They went from being very casual, going about their business to very uncomfortable in a split-second.

The few times I pointed this out, I was berated form being accused of being gay, to spoiling their fun. And you know...if those guys think you're an issue and take a dislike to you, there's a lot than can go wrong on site.

Is it sexual harassment? I'm edging towards an answer of "yes" here given what I've witnessed in the past. Such an open display of sexual attraction from random men tends to make women feel uncomfortable and threatened - that's enough for me to justify a police warning and perhaps charges.

This man gets it. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »

Luckily not doing what you want isn't enough to be charged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    groping is definitely wrong and not on, but chat up lines are ok.

When the person is at work? Continually having to fend off drunken sexual advances? I disagree.

I'm not talking about chat up lines. I'm talking about making me extremely uncomfortable with continual references to sex and comments about my body. It is not ok. It is not appropriate. It is intimidating and degrading. Some men obviously don't have the wit to understand that. I put up with it because I needed to support my daughter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nine of ten are aghast at the "misunderstanding" of their "bit of fun" when they get kicked out for it too.

Quite so. Thursday nights when the Army lads came in were always the worst. I hated having to leave the safety of the bar to collect glasses. They seemed to think bar maids were fair game.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Quite so. Thursday nights when the Army lads came in were always the worst. I hated having to leave the safety of the bar to collect glasses. They seemed to think bar maids were fair game.

it`s the rugby types here, same mentality. i`m just trying to do my job and i don`t need your hand on my arse to help me.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me three. I've changed my route a few times to avoid street harassment from some weirdo. She's right to have dealt with it and put a stop to it.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept that I'm maybe taking a chance on being shot down by all the "free thinking" men on here, but I am genuinely surprised at some of the posts from FMs that I always thought were presenting well thought out input in the past.
    I doubt that there is anyone on here who loves women, and the shape and looks of them more than myself.
    Ever since I began to notice the divine differences between them and me, when I was around 12 or 13, they have fascinated me.
    But I've NEVER whistled at one, or equally as infantile, tooted the horn of a car at one.
    Men who do that must have a mental age of 11, plus a problem with low self esteem.
    I've met women all over the world, and entered into casual, non-threatening conversations with them, sometimes leading to a couple of drinks, maybe dinner, then again, some have led nowhere, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    To my absolute certain knowledge, there is not a woman in the world who has ever felt harassed by me, certainly not sexually harassed.
    It's not rocket science, you initiate a casual conversation, don't invade their personal space, and maybe they're happy with that and warm to you, if they don't, you must smile and wish them a happy life.

You never wrote, you never called, was it something I said, or didn't say?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily not doing what you want isn't enough to be charged.
    Oh good. We have a lot of men walking around here with all the building sites, I'm going to start being verbal next time they walk past
    'hey dickehead, that's a nice looking package in your trousers there, a shame your nose is so big though, doesn't match the size'
    'hey you've got small feet, is your dick small too?'
    'hey, nice package there, get it out and give us a look'
    'jeez man, you are one ugly m/f..er, what are you like in bed?'
    'Those are some tight jeans dude, it's a bit slutty wearing them that tight don't you think, I bet you really go ;)'

... that sort of thing. Nothing illegal so no problem.

Of course, I have more self respect and more respect for those men, so I wouldn't really do that, but apparently it would be perfectly fine and something you'd be happy to hear on a regular basis ;)
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Oh good. We have a lot of men walking around here with all the building sites, I'm going to start being verbal next time they walk past
    'hey dickehead, that's a nice looking package in your trousers there, a shame your nose is so big though, doesn't match the size'
    'hey you've got small feet, is your dick small too?'
    'hey, nice package there, get it out and give us a look'
    'jeez man, you are one ugly m/f..er, what are you like in bed?'
    'Those are some tight jeans dude, it's a bit slutty wearing them that tight don't you think, I bet you really go ;)'

... that sort of thing. Nothing illegal so no problem.

Of course, I have more self respect and more respect for those men, so I wouldn't really do that, but apparently it would be perfectly fine and something you'd be happy to hear on a regular basis ;)

If someone did that to me once I'd be marginally tempted to sarcastically blow a kiss at them, but I suspect that's just me.