Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie being told by Maddah to behave, now that's something. Are we to believe that the very Christian spirited Sophie is not feeling very Christian Right now? The looks that Sophie gives a person who she thinks has wronged her is quite nasty.
    How the characters change aye, there is Maddah, the thieving, spiteful, nasty girl who changed overnight just for a story line. Now she is the one telling Soohie how to behave, crazy.

Dev going missing for so long and leaving the children is so far fetched. Funerals are usually carried out right away so I don't see what the delay is about his return. His second uncle died, I know that but even so. For a start, who goes to the wholesalers to stock his shop?
    Having said that, I do hope in his personal life he is ok and not Ill in anyway.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe14 wrote: »
    Bethany goes to a state school that not only has free periods for 14 year olds but it also lets these 14 year olds do as they please and exit the school premises. .
    I'm not sure Bethany was being entirely honest with Nick:)
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    And Sarah on her very first day and on a trial period has to take some time off and it was hardly a family crisis. Even if Sarah had been an experienced barmaid Liz would still have to show her how to use the till as you say

Yes when on trial she also found time to canoodle in front of the street's biggest gossip and have a brief assignation in the back yard where the the door was unlocked conveniently to allow a relative stranger to the area to walk straight in with complete confidence and knowledge of where the empties go.

Why does she put on her coat to walk a few yards down the street, leaving the pub unattended? And when she gets home she says she has had the 'shift from Hell' (about an hour) in an empty back street pub as quiet as most would be in the middle of the afternoon.

Her daughter spends one morning at school where we find that Italy seems to follow our National Curriculum only a bit ahead of us and that the school seems to allow glaring red lipstick, not mention 12 years old having sex with no-one noticing. And btw what happened to the father of the baby and his family after their cameo?

Perhaps we should have a thread 'Return to reality' for those few moments where the storyline matches real life.
  • Options
    dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes when on trial she also found time to canoodle in front of the street's biggest gossip and have a brief assignation in the back yard where the the door was unlocked conveniently to allow a relative stranger to the area to walk straight in with complete confidence and knowledge of where the empties go.

Why does she put on her coat to walk a few yards down the street, leaving the pub unattended? And when she gets home she says she has had the 'shift from Hell' (about an hour) in an empty back street pub as quiet as most would be in the middle of the afternoon.

Her daughter spends one morning at school where we find that Italy seems to follow our National Curriculum only a bit ahead of us and that the school seems to allow glaring red lipstick, not mention 12 years old having sex with no-one noticing. And btw what happened to the father of the baby and his family after their cameo?

Perhaps we should have a thread 'Return to reality' for those few moments where the storyline matches real life.

We would be hard to find anything for "Return to Reality" as most of the writing is so ridiculous these days.

Another annoyance is how on earth can the Rovers be short staffed as supposedly Michelle told Carla? There is already Liz, Michelle, Steve, Sean and sometimes Tony working there. How busy can one street pub be? There is more staff than customers at times
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Sarah on her very first day and on a trial period has to take some time off and it was hardly a family crisis. Even if Sarah had been an experienced barmaid Liz would still have to show her how to use the till as you say

To be honest, if she's working towards becoming the new "me best barmaid", then taking loads of time off at a moment's notice is actually part of the Job Description! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a big fuss was made last night about Jenny leaving her job in order to become Jack's full time childminder. Yet, after she'd gone out with him and had the altercation with Maria on the pavement, she returned home to find Sophie rifling through her bag, and Jack was not with her..... Hmmm.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah and Bethany will be esconed in Devs flat in a couple of weeks, bills/rent etc on a few shifts wage at the Rovers

Sean only lodges at Eileens and has 2 jobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many SOR's last night I lost count.

Bethany bunking off school (with a face trowelled in makeup), Sarah immediately securing a job six steps from her front door and within 10 minutes is left alone and running the place, not to mention out the back snogging the local "bad boy".

Also, the continuity is all over the place but the writers don't even appear to be attempting to do anything about it.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen last nights yet but surely if it was Bethany's first day at school she'd bring having some sort of induction and be with teachers pretty much all day? So being able to bunk off would be pretty much impossible?
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    dobbybear wrote: »
    Yes but when Andy (not Gavin) got punched by ????????? (can't remember his name) before the wedding he had a massive bruise almost immediately!

Also why is wheelchair man always at the hospital when it's obvious he isn't a long term patient as he is always fully dressed and then he turned up at Chesney;s
    I spent time in a cottage hospital where we were expected to get dressed in the morning and we could do a bit of gardening, hand wash clothes if we wanted, even pop over to the local shop, visitors could come every day and we could go to the restaurant with our visitors for lunch if we wanted to provided the nursing staff knew where we were and what we were doing. Fitting all that around physio and hydro therapy. We weren't expected to got to bed unless there was a reason during the day.

Bit wheelchair man could be attending he hospital for physio and volunteering to visiting others who are either unable to walk or having difficulty walking while he's there.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Sophie briefly some sort of child genius who got top grades in all her GCSEs, or whatever they call them these days? It's hard to believe she has no further ambition than to devote her life to giving appalling customer service in a little corner shop.
    No that was bimbo Rosie who attended Oakhill Grammar private school because she was disruptive at Weatherfield High, finding the work too easy, while Sophie had to remain at the local comprehensive because Sally couldn't afford both at private school.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Such a big fuss was made last night about Jenny leaving her job in order to become Jack's full time childminder. Yet, after she'd gone out with him and had the altercation with Maria on the pavement, she returned home to find Sophie rifling through her bag, and Jack was not with her..... Hmmm.

Didn't she say she'd left Jack with Rita!!

The big SOR for me was that slap she gave Maria was hard!!! No way would there not have been some sort of visible red mark at least to prove it was Maria who'd been slapped, not the other way round!!
    Funny how after almost a year of it never been mentioned, suddenly because it was convenient to the story, everyone was talking about Maria's little 'breakdown' last year & making her out to be some sort of unstable headcase because of it!!
    Don't blame Jenny for losing it with Sophie, she should have slapped her as well!! Going through someone else's handbag is unacceptable on any level!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that was later, after Liam (under Kirk's care) had viciously assaulted Jack. Then Rita strolled up, and Jenny asked her to mind him for a while while she went to the salon to biff Maria!
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    So many SOR's last night I lost count.

Bethany bunking off school (with a face trowelled in makeup), Sarah immediately securing a job six steps from her front door and within 10 minutes is left alone and running the place, not to mention out the back snogging the local "bad boy".

Also, the continuity is all over the place but the writers don't even appear to be attempting to do anything about it.
    fayemian wrote: »
    I haven't seen last nights yet but surely if it was Bethany's first day at school she'd bring having some sort of induction and be with teachers pretty much all day? So being able to bunk off would be pretty much impossible?
    She needs a slap from Jenny to get all that slap off. :cool:
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I think that was later, after Liam (under Kirk's care) had viciously assaulted Jack. Then Rita strolled up, and Jenny asked her to mind him for a while while she went to the salon to biff Maria!

Ha, yes! The way Jenny over-reacted you'd have thought that Liam had brought along his crew of primary school heavies to do over Jack, who then got an almighty kicking and ended up being knifed.

I wonder if Jenny has some sort of violent past that has resulted in her own child/children being removed by social services. Or maybe it/they died. Perhaps she killed it/them.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, yes! The way Jenny over-reacted you'd have thought that Liam had brought along his crew of primary school heavies to do over Jack, who then got an almighty kicking and ended up being knifed.

I wonder if Jenny has some sort of violent past that has resulted in her own child/children being removed by social services. Or maybe it/they died. Perhaps she killed it/them.

This is an absolute certainty.
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't blame Jenny for losing it with Sophie, she should have slapped her as well!! Going through someone else's handbag is unacceptable on any level!!

Isn't Sophie the very religious one who sees the best in everyone?

Her faith seems to have gone down the drain.

It is characteristic of characters to change character rather uncharacteristically in CS:)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . Even if Sarah had been an experienced barmaid Liz would still have to show her how to use the till as you say

and how did she know all the prices.?
  • Options
    FionnBFionnB Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    The times were out again, unless liam was coming home for dinner, not finishing school.

Bit obvious who hit who, maria would have a bruise

And Gail's house must be in a different time zone from the rest of the street. Bethany said to Nick that school was nearly over, so it was about 3pm, and everyone else was sitting drinking in the pub and not at work, suggesting it was early evening.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Sophie the very religious one who sees the best in everyone?

Her faith seems to have gone down the drain.

It is characteristic of characters to change character rather uncharacteristically in CS:)

Saint Sophie phoned Jenny's former employer who it seems was more than happy to tell her all about Jenny's employment history! :o
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs a slap from Jenny to get all that slap off. :cool:

It's hard to believe Bethany actually went to school at all. Would any school accept a 14 year old with slap plastered all over her face including that bright red lipstick? Laughable.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Yes that was later, quite where Jack was when she walked in on Sophie is anybody's guess. also I noticed they took advantage of Rita's favour to pop to the pub too.
    Also Sophie! - she robbed Kevin herself, remember?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Saint Sophie phoned Jenny's former employer who it seems was more than happy to tell her all about Jenny's employment history! :o

You can just imagine the conversation:

Sophie: "Hi I believe Jenny Bradley was employed by you recently can you tell me, who is a complete stranger to you and you don't know me from Adam, if she left of her own accord or did she quit?"

Former employer: "Hi strange woman on the phone, yes I can tell you that Jenny decided to quit. If you want anymore personal information please don't hesitate to call back."
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

Were we ever told where Jenny worked? How did Sophie know who to call??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were we ever told where Jenny worked? How did Sophie know who to call??

To be fair on this one, she did come across a name badge when rifling through Jenny's bag, so perhaps she has a photographic memory and was able to commit the details to said memory before Jenny came in?
This discussion has been closed.