Options

Lib Dem Reveals Plans On Tory Welfare Cuts

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/29/danny-alexander-tory-plans-welfare-cuts-child-benefits
Alexander reveals that in June 2012, members of the Quad – the inner group of the four most senior cabinet members – were sent a paper by the work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith entitled “Welfare Reform Quad Summer Reading Pack” setting out plans for £8bn of welfare reforms.

The proposed cuts included:

Limiting support to 2 children in child benefit and child tax credit, so cutting up to £3,500 from a family with three children.
Removing the higher rate child benefit from the first child, an average cut of over £360 for every family with children.
Means testing child benefit – cutting £1,750 for a two child middle income family
Removing child benefit from 16 to 19 year olds – a cut of over £1,000 for parents of a single child.

IDS really hates children

Comments

• Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny the Lib Dems have been banging on about 12 billion in welfare cuts so now its only 8
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Wow, Danny Alexander taking the Tories down with him now he's realised he's gonnna lose his seat?!
  • Options
    Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    IDS going soft in his old age.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Funny the Lib Dems have been banging on about 12 billion in welfare cuts so now its only 8
    Read the article - these were proposals in 2012.

And it's the Tories who have said there will be £12bn in benefit cuts
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me again please, why do I have to fund people to breed ?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    The Tories will fund their austerity by attacking the poorest.... who would have guessed?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and fluffy kittens.

And they hate him right back.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »

Remind me, why do some people breed at all?
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to cost the Tories big time, still waiting for Labour's response
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Guardian have very cleverly put the article right next to Cameron's interview
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah i agree about the first and fourth ones .....
    for NEW CLAIMANTS ONLY!!!

IDS is MIND QUAD
    without the MIND
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to cost the Tories big time, still waiting for Labour's response

It wont as Sky news wont say much about it and you will get a little bit of info on the BBC.

No one will push it enough................
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Alexander scrapes back a bit of integrity for the Lib Dems by having the courage to expose this Tory ideology.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Remind me, why do some people breed at all?
    Because they're entitled to the money you earned, don't forget the kids also need flat screens, x boxes & iPhones if they're not to grow up in poverty.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once upon a time, people used to manage. They might not have had bags of gold and luxury palaces, but they survived and lived by what was available to them. If they needed more money then the man in the family would go to work for longer and earn extra money. This was known as overtime pay, and sometimes the family man would earn much money by gaining overtime pay. People lived quite contently. There was opportunity for those who wanted it. One day, a Fairy Godfather came along and promised everyone extra money. Free money! Everyone started spending more than they could afford because getting more money meant they could get a magic card that had never ending money. Then everyone who used to look for work suddenly found they no longer needed to because they were given free money - sometimes more money than those who went to work.

But those at work no longer had overtime pay because there was a new wage structure and as a result many companies no longer allowed people to work very long. So these people were also given free money. Then they would get even more free money to top up the free money they already had.

Then one day a wicked man came along and decided to try and straighten things out by trying to get everyone at work so that less free money was given. But people were unhappy about losing money. They liked their free money. But now it was taken away they felt anger at the nasty man. And no one ever lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So their children will look after you in your old age.

Next you'll be saying you shouldn't pay to educate other people's children...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Once upon a time, people used to manage. They might not have had bags of gold and luxury palaces, but they survived and lived by what was available to them. If they needed more money then the man in the family would go to work for longer and earn extra money. This was known as overtime pay, and sometimes the family man would earn much money by gaining overtime pay. People lived quite contently. There was opportunity for those who wanted it. One day, a Fairy Godfather came along and promised everyone extra money. Free money! Everyone started spending more than they could afford because getting more money meant they could get a magic card that had never ending money. Then everyone who used to look for work suddenly found they no longer needed to because they were given free money - sometimes more money than those who went to work.

But those at work no longer had overtime pay because there was a new wage structure and as a result many companies no longer allowed people to work very long. So these people were also given free money. Then they would get even more free money to top up the free money they already had.

Then one day a wicked man came along and decided to try and straighten things out by trying to get everyone at work so that less free money was given. But people were unhappy about losing money. They liked their free money. But now it was taken away they felt anger at the nasty man. And no one ever lived happily ever after.

If something is broken, it is best to approach the job of fixing it with the correct tools, instead of simply hitting it repeatedly with a sledgehammer.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If something is broken, it is best to approach the job of fixing it with the correct tools, instead of simply hitting it repeatedly with a sledgehammer.

Seems a tad odd to allow people to use their wombs as piggy banks
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But if you create artificial wealth with money that isn't there, then take the wealth away because the money is needed for other things, then it makes you wonder why the original "keep calm and carry on" attitude was replaced with the "it's my right to have so I want it now" attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, I wasn't calling for you when I used the word 'tools', sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First they came for the unemployed, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not unemployed.

Then they came for the disabled, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not disabled.

Then they came for those surviving on social security, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not surviving on social security.

Then they came for Child Benefit—and there was no one left to speak for me.

[Pace, Pastor Martin Niemöller]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First they came for the unemployed, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not unemployed.

Then they came for the disabled, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not disabled.

Then they came for those surviving on social security, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not surviving on social security.

Then they came for Child Benefit—and there was no one left to speak for me.

[Pace, Pastor Martin Niemöller]

You made a thread, I nodded in appreciation.

You've posted it here too, so now it's ruined.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bet you are a real joy to live with.