Options

Peter Kay's Car Share (iPlayer - All Episode Discussion + Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up with this during the first episode, I found it rather boring, the jokes were a bit laboured.
    Peter Kay is OK in small doses, but not a whole series.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this for the first time and really enjoyed it, especially the girl, she is a real find and I hope she is in it every week.
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she is in every week don't worry Peter and Sian have been friends since high school
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    DVDFever's "review" is hilarious! Proper going into detail about the Forever FM DJ's careers and the usual spiel about who may or may not have fallen out 10 years ago.
    Half-way through I remember thinking what happened to the review of Peter Kay's Car Share? Then it got on track again.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There's no need to be embarrassed about liking tripe; I love Mrs Brown's Boys, and they don't come much triper than that.

However, I think peter kay must be the unfunniest comedian on TV.

I once decided to give Mrs Brown's Boys ten minutes, but only lasted about five. Yet I like O'Carroll when he's himself (and didn't he appear in Max and Paddy once selling the dodgy TV?).

I quite like Kay's stuff but I'm not keen on his stand-up. It can take me a while to get into it however. With Car Share I half-watched the first episode on iPlayer and it was OK. But I saw it again on TV last night and didn't want it to end! Problem is I missed the last two episodes on iPlayer now have to wait two weeks before they're on TV.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, and could appreciate the gentle humour. Quiet guy sharing a car with a chatterbox of a girl who at first seems to irritate him, but by the end of the day he finds himself having a laugh with her. Loved the Cilla Black bit, and the corny radio adverts. I prefer to watch Peter Kay any day over the likes of Russell Howard / Leigh Francis. Those two - I can't stand them or their brand of humour.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the show too. The banter between them seemed very natural to me. I wonder how scripted it is?
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was pretty good, first episode was the weakest. Subtle seems to be the word for this.Agree with Prince in that she is supposed to be slightly annoying, the best bit in the first episode is the way John warms to Kayleigh a touch. This affection then develops more as the episodes went on.
  • Options
    MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already watched episodes 3 and 4 so I know it gets better than this first one. I do love Peter Kay though, so it was always going to be a winner for me :)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she is in every week don't worry Peter and Sian have been friends since high school

Do you mean that peter kay was her teacher?
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Another quick link for my review of this godawful programme :)

http://dvd-fever.co.uk/peter-kays-car-share-episode-1-the-dvdfever-review/

Gave up trying to read your site ---- "godawful" colour scheme......

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Do you mean that peter kay was her teacher?

No her and paddy and Peter have been mates since then where he grew up and went to school
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    For continuity. So you don't see different cars driving behind when they edit together camera angles filmed at different times.

There was a continuity error in the first 5 mins when he was driving to her house.

It was nice and sunny, then he turned a corner and it was grey
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I wasn't going to bother watching this after the terrible Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere, but I did give it a go in the end.

I recorded it and watched it last night, and I must admit that I really enjoyed it.

The actress who plays Keighley is particularly good. I seem to recognise her from somewhere.

I hope the rest of the series is just as good.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are torrents for 6 episodes on TPB. Supposedly Web Rips.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    [highlight]I thought it was alright. It was shit and it was good.

Love Peter Kay. I don't understand people who don't get his stand up to be honest. Must be just the peasants who get his stand up.

Max & Paddy > Car Share so far for me.
    [/highlight]
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

She has been in virtually everything peter kay has ever done, hardly a newcomer
    This is her imdb page under her original name Sian Foulkes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1697730/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched the first episode. Kay is just being himself, in fact he's just being a typical northern bloke. He doesn't appear scripted and also seems semi interested.

Maybe the millions in the bank and his back catalogue have caused him to lose his mojo?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    There was a continuity error in the first 5 mins when he was driving to her house.

It was nice and sunny, then he turned a corner and it was grey

Can happen to be fair, The back window of my house looks like a totally different place to the front, One has sun beaming on it and the other has dark rain clouds overhead
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Just saw all 6 episodes, really good and funny, I like claustrophobic comedy where just 2 people (in the main) act. Just got a couple of quirks though.

1. The girls voice is very grating when she over acts.

2. John says he can't remember the last time he took a day off work, but in the previous episode he said he took a month off to grief his dads death just before Christmas.

3. Why does Kayliegh never drive them to work ? (except when forced to when John fell over)

4. That DAMN back window :) How come the sides aren't dirty but the back is ? As surely continuity would matter in all directions.

5. Does Peter Kay really fit in that car ?

Still loved the show though :)

I think he specifically said 'Sick day' rather than a leave day
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Peter Kay in his early days but he's become a one trick pony recycling the same old material and slowly his material has dried up. I don't find him all that funny these days. During his interviews on chat shows like Jonathan Ross or when he did Parkinson he just came across like a big kid who wanted all the attention and tried to take over the show with his cheeky crazy Blackoool style antics and tomfoolery and I just think these days he's a bit of a big headded arse who got too big for his boots too quickly then ran out of things to say.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Here's the thing, DVDfever. Those points you were disputing were other people's genuinely held opinions. Your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's. Comedy is very subjective, and there is rarely a "correct" opinion of it. By all means put yours forward but give other people room to express theirs.

I wasn't going to bother with this show. I'm not a Peter Kay fan, I don't think he's a great comedian and he can be very repetitive. But your comments here made me watch ep 1 to see how bad it really was. But it turns out it's actually very promising. It started badly with him arguing with his satnav but from then on it improved steadily. Kay is subtle and understated for a change and Sian Gibson is outstanding. The humour is built up naturally in a well structured way, not forced with jokes and one-liners. It's not laugh a minute by any means, but I don't think that was the idea.

Your review isn't as clever as it thinks it is either.

DVDFever has spent an inordinate amount of time maintaining a godawful website with reviews that are neither funny or clever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    She has been in virtually everything peter kay has ever done, hardly a newcomer
    This is her imdb page under her original name Sian Foulkes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1697730/?ref_=nv_sr_1

You Don't have to tell me mate I have followed Peter for years
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    You Don't have to tell me mate I have followed Peter for years
    Sorry that was meant for Valkay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Sorry that was meant for Valkay

Don't worry all good
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think this was bad or as great as others have said, I think that because of Peter Kay's usual comedic stuff, I had expected LOL moments when it seems this is something different he's doing. That said there were a handful of moments that made me chuckle and in the past I have had watched other dramas where I wasn't swayed by the first episode but the rest of the series made it worth sticking to. I will be watching tonight. ;-)
    allafix wrote: »
    Here's the thing, DVDfever. Those points you were disputing were other people's genuinely held opinions. Your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's. Comedy is very subjective, and there is rarely a "correct" opinion of it. By all means put yours forward but give other people room to express theirs.

I wasn't going to bother with this show. I'm not a Peter Kay fan, I don't think he's a great comedian and he can be very repetitive. But your comments here made me watch ep 1 to see how bad it really was. But it turns out it's actually very promising. It started badly with him arguing with his satnav but from then on it improved steadily. Kay is subtle and understated for a change and Sian Gibson is outstanding. The humour is built up naturally in a well structured way, not forced with jokes and one-liners. It's not laugh a minute by any means, but I don't think that was the idea.

Your review isn't as clever as it thinks it is either.
    Top post Allafix. I wish I took advice from your last line as I read the review which seemed an excuse to state a pre-existing hatred towards Peter Kay's CV and the BBC.