Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    How long does it take to make a curry? Roy mentioned it earlier in the day, then was working in the cafe before going on his driving lesson but when he got back everything was ready for eating! And he'd managed to get all the ingredients!

Tyrone and his two mates were planning to have few pints in town followed by a curry. This was going to be one of the very few instances of young people actually getting away from the street and having a night out in somewhere other than the Rovers. I mean how many twenty somethings would frequent the Rovers with Norris and Emily regulars .

Roy suggests he makes them a curry and with barely a whimper they all agree to eat in his cafe , the only customers, not really the greatest night out , and then bring only 4 cans of beer with them. Less than a pint each. They really know how to enjoy themselves
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke had four cans, Tyrone had some in a bag, Gary free loading by look of it :)

As for the how long question Roy said he would prepare everything before hand.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Agree Boz - increasingly, David calling his mum Gail is the best thing about an ep! Cracks me up :D

Otherwise...

Sarah, please stop pouting and smirking and flirting and eye-flashing at Callum. it's doing my head in. I don't care if it's in the script.

Who wrote Wednesday's ep? There were so many forced and unlikely lines of dialogue. Bethany making Colombo references. Norris wittering about Titchy Spider. Roy and fancy woman going into a posh-off: "I was perchance willing to furnish you with a bacon barm but it appears you have vacated the premises" "No matter, I recalled an urgent engagement" -type stuff.

Lamentable.

I love this. ^^^:D:D:D

Perhaps Roy will have a soliloquy or two tonight!

To be, or not to be: that is the question..........!
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I love this. ^^^:D:D:D

Perhaps Roy will have a soliloquy or two tonight!

To be, or not to be: that is the question..........!

When Cathy was behaving oddly in Roy's café, I just felt utterly bored by yet another 'secret'. How many secrets, plotting and scheming can one street hold? Why can't Roy just become friends with Cathy? You know, like people do.

It seems as if everything has to be contrived and forced and twisted, as if drama can't arise in any other way. When Hayley died, for example, there were some wonderfully touching scenes, but then thrown in was the daft sub-plot of Hayley falling out with Roy over her wish to be able to take he own life. Why not trust the story of the illness and its effects on the characters and their relationship?

Sorry, that was a mini-rant!
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Cathy was behaving oddly in Roy's café, I just felt utterly bored by yet another 'secret'. How many secrets, plotting and scheming can one street hold? Why can't Roy just become friends with Cathy? You know, like people do.

It seems as if everything has to be contrived and forced and twisted, as if drama can't arise in any other way. When Hayley died, for example, there were some wonderfully touching scenes, but then thrown in was the daft sub-plot of Hayley falling out with Roy over her wish to be able to take he own life. Why not trust the story of the illness and its effects on the characters and their relationship?

I think I read that she has two dark secrets.
    I suspect that one is that she helped her husband die with dignity as did Roy with Hayley.

I can't think what the other one is unless she went out with Hayley when she was Harold and there is perhaps a child of Harold / Hayley.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ericos wrote: »
    Luke had four cans, Tyrone had some in a bag, Gary free loading by look of it :)

As for the how long question Roy said he would prepare everything before hand.

Perhaps the Nazir bloke helped him.?:D
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I thought she got cold feet about going to the pub when Gary jokingly said Roy was trying to impress her. She is fairly recently widowed (believe me, a year is nothing) and would be still grieving, going to the pub with another man would be a big step.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    How long does it take to make a curry? Roy mentioned it earlier in the day, then was working in the cafe before going on his driving lesson but when he got back everything was ready for eating! And he'd managed to get all the ingredients!

I often make a good curry in twenty minutes flat.
    Cheese and onion soup? :confused:

Never heard of it.

Crisps, though....
    Sadly discontinued, but it was all the rage at the time :D
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I thought she got cold feet about going to the pub when Gary jokingly said Roy was trying to impress her. She is fairly recently widowed (believe me, a year is nothing) and would be still grieving, going to the pub with another man would be a big step.

Thats the way I saw it too, although it would be interesting if she turned out to be the mother of Hayley's horrible son.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re. Carla: I keep repeating this and it's true: having a drink problem, and being an alcoholic are NOT the same thing. I binge-drank in my teens and twenties and got into some bad situations. I drank a bit too much when working at my last job, half a bottle of wine most nights. I am not an alcoholic, I now drink one or two glasses a night, and very, very seldom get drunk. Me and most of France. If I don't have a drink on a night out, I miss it slightly out of habit, but it's no big deal.

I have friends who are recovering alcoholics, they could NOT have "just a glass" or two, as they would then want to drink until they were drunk.

People with drink problems, or who drink a bit too much, have to be careful they don't end up alcoholics but a lot of people drink regularly, and are fine. Carla goes to the gym and seems to eat well so would probably be OK.

That said, this is Corrie so they could decide to make her an alcoholic tomorrow.

But at the moment, I see no SOR.

There's the fact she declared herself an alcoholic at the AA meeting, when she probably wasn't, but I bet quite a few do that.
  • Options
    m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so anyone know what's up with roy's new allotment bird cathy? those pics they've just released of her screaming at roy and carla to leave her house.

bet her husband ain't even dead and she's just loopy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    billio wrote: »
    Re. Carla: I keep repeating this and it's true: having a drink problem, and being an alcoholic are NOT the same thing. I binge-drank in my teens and twenties and got into some bad situations. I drank a bit too much when working at my last job, half a bottle of wine most nights. I am not an alcoholic, I now drink one or two glasses a night, and very, very seldom get drunk. Me and most of France. If I don't have a drink on a night out, I miss it slightly out of habit, but it's no big deal.

I have friends who are recovering alcoholics, they could NOT have "just a glass" or two, as they would then want to drink until they were drunk.

People with drink problems, or who drink a bit too much, have to be careful they don't end up alcoholics but a lot of people drink regularly, and are fine. Carla goes to the gym and seems to eat well so would probably be OK.

That said, this is Corrie so they could decide to make her an alcoholic tomorrow.

But at the moment, I see no SOR.

There's the fact she declared herself an alcoholic at the AA meeting, when she probably wasn't, but I bet quite a few do that.

Have I got giant wine glasses? :confused: I thought two glasses WAS half a bottle of wine?
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, so true tuppence. IMO you've put your finger on where Corrie is going wrong. Every character, esp the new ones, has got to have a Massive Secret. Yes it's a time-honoured theme in storytelling but you can't keep doing it. Corrie seems to have been on autopilot for some while. It really underestimates its audience.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    If Tim had caught Sally with a real pressure washer it would have caused serious injury, not just a soaking. They are not toys. Very irresponsible scene.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, OF COURSE it's not going to turn out to be a Banksy !
    How ridiculous !
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, OF COURSE it's not going to turn out to be a Banksy !
    How ridiculous !

He didn't even notice his car had jumped across the road, parks outside the pub, gets back in outside Audrey's

Erica left the bistro in the morning, it was in a ruddy huge shadow, how hard is it to film an evening scene in the evening
  • Options
    alintonalinton Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Oh God.

Picture the scene in the script writers' meeting:

"we need a new storyline"
    "What about a surprise, inappropriate pregnancy?"
    "good idea! We haven't had a pregnancy-based storyline for two weeks now, let's do it!"

Why are SO MANY storylines pregnancy-related?
    And how come, in soaps, whenever anyone has a fling or an affair, a pregnancy ALWAYS results?
  • Options
    SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Agree Boz - increasingly, David calling his mum Gail is the best thing about an ep! Cracks me up :D

Otherwise...

Sarah, please stop pouting and smirking and flirting and eye-flashing at Callum. it's doing my head in. I don't care if it's in the script.

Who wrote Wednesday's ep? There were so many forced and unlikely lines of dialogue. Bethany making Colombo references. Norris wittering about Titchy Spider. Roy and fancy woman going into a posh-off: "I was perchance willing to furnish you with a bacon barm but it appears you have vacated the premises" "No matter, I recalled an urgent engagement" -type stuff.

Lamentable.

+1 to all of this.
    Love the description of the posh off :D
  • Options
    SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So very true. I think partly it's down to the fact that there are so many shallow / uninteresting characters now, (Callum, Sarah, Bethany for starters), that the writers are going overboard in trying to make them interesting. And failing.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    fayemian wrote: »
    Our local schools tend to see skirt wearing as a privilege and if girls abuse it by wearing belts they can only wear trousers.

Could they make Beth more one dimensional if they tried? Of course she couldn't just go to school in sensible uniform and work hard, heaven forbid.
    Certain girls, when I was at secondary school, wore short skirts, loose ties and caked themselves in makeup. But the majority of them worked hard, and came out with good grades. Yes, they had rows with the teachers, went into sulky mode and often got detentions/formal warnings, but that's the part and parcel of teenage life. Wanting to experiment. Still though, parents that let their children plaster themselves with cheap liquid foundation and rosy red lipstick need to draw a line. But that's for another day....

Beth telling Kirky not to spill the beans to Carla about Sinead's secret project....................yawn. Corrie really are good with subtlety. Might as well spelt it out to viewers:

"Kirky, don't tell Carla"

"OK. I will tell Carla in two weeks."

Kevin trusting a woman he hasn't seen in 20 years to his own flesh and flood. This will make the reveal all the more painful because Sawphie'll just gloat.

Carry on Callum, who has no job (does his mother even know how he supports himself?) and continues to hang around like a bad smell, makes up with dim Sarah (who doesn't care about the welfare of her brother -- which isn't exactly a SOR). Camera pans at the sight of Callum smirking................goodness me, he's up to no good that one! Mothers, lock up your daughters!

Mooching Michelle bleeds her heart to Cabernet Carla about her wedding woes and financial fiasco..............wonder where this will lead to.............
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah was actually born in 1987 (Feb) so there is 6 years between them but the recasting of Nick was ridiculous. He does, as you say, look far too old to be playing a 34 year old.

If Sarah was born in february '87 and she was 13 when she had Bethany, wouldn't that make her 12 when she first got pregnant? So why was Faye being touted as the youngest soap character ever for getting pregnant at 12? Surely she's no different to Sarah:confused:
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't callum have to pay for his drinks now?

When carla went into the bistro, after erica left, did she enter at the right of the bar (as you look at it)? It looked that way to me.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin trusting a woman he hasn't seen in 20 years to his own flesh and flood.

Does Jack wet himself a lot ;-) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Sarah was born in february '87 and she was 13 when she had Bethany, wouldn't that make her 12 when she first got pregnant? So why was Faye being touted as the youngest soap character ever for getting pregnant at 12? Surely she's no different to Sarah:confused:

They simply pretended that she was thirteen. The beginning of the rot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often make a good curry in twenty minutes flat.

Sadly discontinued, but it was all the rage at the time :D

Thats the way I saw it too, although it would be interesting if she turned out to be the mother of Hayley's horrible son.

I bought some fresh/chilled cheese and onion soup for my mum from a local farm shop around Christmas time.
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    If Tim had caught Sally with a real pressure washer it would have caused serious injury, not just a soaking. They are not toys. Very irresponsible scene.

It was irresponsible. I've used one and they are really very powerful. Corrie are a bunch of pillocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw the last bit of Corrie tonight. I need to catch up tomorrow.

What I did I see was we had the obligatory scene where Sarah snogs Callum in the Rovers' **** yard - again. Zzzzz

Then there was Callum, the baddie, with his evil smile over Sarah's shoulder. Zzzzz

Mwahahaha!!!

*rolleyes*
This discussion has been closed.