Options

Convince me that I should vote in a very safe (Labour) seat

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
Why should I make the effort to vote when Labour ALWAYS win in my constituency?

And don't give me this 'people died to give you the vote'. People fought in world wars because they were conscripted and didn't want to the Germans to invade Britain or they joined up out of patriotism.

And don't give me the Suffragettes - they were a bunch of posh birds who didn't want working class men voting.

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote if you want to. Doesn't bother me if people don't.
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »

And don't give me this 'people died to give you the vote'. People fought in world wars because they were conscripted and didn't want to the Germans to invade Britain or they joined up out of patriotism.

And don't give me the Suffragettes - they were a bunch of posh birds who didn't want working class men voting.

Because if everyone who didn't support Labour thought like that it will always be a safe seat. If they all voted then Labour may well lose or at least make it a close call.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps you should read a history book instead of going out to vote.

At the start of World War One only one in twenty was eligible to vote.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe vote for a party that supports electoral reform so the dreadful FPTP voting system is more likely to be scrapped like it has everywhere else in Europe and most of the world? No need to worry about "safe seats" and "wasted votes" then.

The more votes these parties get, the greater the pressure will be.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Even large majorities can be overturned.
    You may help save the deposit of a minor candidate or help give them motivation to carry on in local politics
    You may feel better about yourself
    Have pride in participating in the democratic process
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Because national vote counts are published too - and you send a message that way.

It won't change your MP - but it may affect the wider political debate.

And things can change - think of those dozens of Scottish Labour MPs who thought they had jobs for life in safe seats. Not any more!
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,135
    Forum Member
    I live in a safe Labour seat but will be voting.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Perhaps you should read a history book instead of going out to vote.

At the start of World War One only one in twenty was eligible to vote.

Yep. And obviously only one gender.

I always vote in GEs, but people can do what they want. The only thing I find a bit annoying is the "Oh, whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in." Just seems a bit lazy. Also, am aware that it many parts of the World, there is no option.

But as I said, do what you want!
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is going into a polling station and putting a cross in a box every five years really an "effort"?
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would say vote Labour...because if everyone said I live in a safe seat blah blah blah.
    I totally empathise with your take though.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In previous elections I was voting in Warwick and Leamington, a marginal seat where I felt my vote mattered. This time now I'm down in Stratford Upon Avon a very safe Tory seat I am wondering if my vote does matter.

Having said that I still feel it's my duty to vote regardless. There are still people dying in this world just to vote themselves so it's something I always will do
  • Options
    ZeraseZerase Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It's tempting not to vote in FPTP elections- but you can at least officialy register your opinion.

My constituency has always been a Lib Dem fiefdom, but I still make myself vote.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. And obviously only one gender.

I always vote in GEs, but people can do what they want. The only thing I find a bit annoying is the "Oh, whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in." Just seems a bit lazy. Also, am aware that it many parts of the World, there is no option.

But as I said, do what you want!

Obviously not all one gender.

The 1869 Municipal Franchise Act gave the vote to some women rate-payers in local elections and also enabled women to serve as Poor Law Guardians. The 1888 County Council Act also gave women the vote at county and borough council elections. However, they could not serve as members. This right was not granted until 1907.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not voting is really a vote for Cameron. Please do not let back in this desperate, clueless man who is not fit to be PM. Vote Labour!
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would never try to convince you or anyone else to vote, or who to vote for, that is your decision to make not mine.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Obviously not all one gender.

The 1869 Municipal Franchise Act gave the vote to some women rate-payers in local elections and also enabled women to serve as Poor Law Guardians. The 1888 County Council Act also gave women the vote at county and borough council elections. However, they could not serve as members. This right was not granted until 1907.

Obviously I didn't know that! :blush:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,968
    Forum Member
    Do you support a different party to Labour?
    If so support them. If they didn't get any votes they'd lose their deposit and that might hamper their effort in winnable seats.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the smaller the percentage vote achieved by the big parties, the greater the pressure to change the system.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,433
    Forum Member
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    Because if everyone who didn't support Labour thought like that it will always be a safe seat. If they all voted then Labour may well lose or at least make it a close call.

^^^ This +1. Even spoiling a ballot paper and calling for proportional representation or writing 'none of the above' would be better than not voting at all.
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you support one of the minor parties, voting could save their candidate's deposit.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If everyone voted and voted sensibly, it wouldn't be a safe Labour seat.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    If everyone voted and voted sensibly, it wouldn't be a safe Labour seat.

That's a very arrogant statement.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote UKIP.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, just consider what might happen should many of the potential voters in your seat took the same attitude?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you could always try and become the local unofficial labour candidate and try and poll for votes as a lot of people just see labour candidate and will vote for them so make sure you're up above the official one in the list and you might just get a life of jollies on the state as an MP