• Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    In that case my guess is:

Monday 25th-Friday 29th: 7.30-9.00pm and 9.30-10.00pm
    Saturday 30th: 8.00-10.00pm
    Sunday 31st: 7.00-9.00pm

I'd rather the weekday shows ran 8.00-10.00pm (stuff Corrie, it is BGT's big week, let it sort it's own problems out rather than sponging off a bigger show) but they won't do that.

I don't like that Sunday timeslot. Seems too early for the time of year. An 8pm start is much better. I too wish they'd just air BGT 8-10pm. It makes much more sense - but they've had this scheduling since 2010 now - which has seen mixed results over the years. The break at 9pm for Corrie sucks all the momentum out of BGT. I'm not sure why they don't just leave Corrie at 7.30pm and run BGT 8-10pm - surely it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things? And it takes the heat of the Corrie production team to engineer a big storyline to peak every year during BGT week. Although Corrie does need urgent help at the moment.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd rather the weekday shows ran 8.00-10.00pm (stuff Corrie, it is BGT's big week, let it sort it's own problems out rather than sponging off a bigger show) but they won't do that.

I can't say I agree. Yes the BGT results suffer slightly but by having Corrie at 9pm it creates a better incentive to watch ITV for the whole evening. Corrie viewers may watch BGT whilst they wait for their programme and BGT viewers will do the same for the results show. Plus it makes Corrie feel like a bit more of an event at 9pm and this year they have a massive stunt to promote. I think the scheduling works well as it is.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like that Sunday timeslot. Seems too early for the time of year. An 8pm start is much better. I too wish they'd just air BGT 8-10pm. It makes much more sense - but they've had this scheduling since 2010 now - which has seen mixed results over the years. The break at 9pm for Corrie sucks all the momentum out of BGT. I'm not sure why they don't just leave Corrie at 7.30pm and run BGT 8-10pm - surely it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things? And it takes the heat of the Corrie production team to engineer a big storyline to peak every year during BGT week. Although Corrie does need urgent help at the moment.

I don't know what else they could do with the Sunday show as they'd presumably need to fit in Home Fires as well.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I don't know what else they could do with the Sunday show as they'd presumably need to fit in Home Fires as well.

I would bump Home Fires by a week. I can't see it been a hit anyway - and surely the BGT final is more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would bump Home Fires by a week. I can't see it been a hit anyway - and surely the BGT final is more important.

They can't - there's an England match on the following Sunday. Unless they air the final two episodes on Monday at 9pm.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's already going to be bumped by the football the following week. ITV are certainly hoping it will be a hit at least, they won't want to strangle it through the scheduling.

The 7pm slot isn't great but is probably the best option. The 8pm slot would mean running until 10pm which on a Sunday night isn't a great idea as it is too late for families (it is different for the weekday shows as they run during half term).

I agree with your earlier post that Corrie at 9pm sucks the energy out of BGT. To prove the effect it has, here is the 15 minute breakdown from 7.30-10pm on Monday 26th May last year (the night of the first BGT semi final):

7.6m
    8.2m
    9.9m
    10.6m
    10.0m
    11.1m
    9.2m
    8.9m
    8.0m
    8.2m

Show averages:

Britain's Got Talent - 9.58m
    Coronation Street - 9.07m
    Britain's Got Talent - 8.08m

If BGT had ran as one long show no way would it have dipped from 11.1m to 8.0m. They would probably have seen a small drop off but that 30 minute period would probably have averaged 10m rather than 8m. Then at 9.30pm Corrie would have had a lead-in not much lower than the one it had anyway and would have been starting away from a junction, so I can't imagine it would have done much worse than it did, meaning the overall night would have been better off.

I bang on about this every year though and they've never changed it so I highly doubt they will this year. They are clearly happy enough with it so will leave it as it is.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't - there's an England match on the following Sunday. Unless they air the final two episodes on Monday at 9pm.
    Is the England match a friendly or a qualifier as the qualifier will rate better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Is the England match a friendly or a qualifier as the qualifier will rate better?

Friendly but should do alright considering BBC One's schedule tends to be more female skewing on a Sunday night.

I'm going to plump that BBC One are lining up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for the Sunday 9pm slot after the BAFTAs as they've started to promote it.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV ceetainly need Home Fires to be a hit. So far tis year we have had no 6 part series that culd be returnable series. Although the fact the BBC have put The C Word at 8.30pm will automatically mean Home Fires won't stand a chance. I'm pretty sure those 5m+ viewers who watch AR tonight will not turn over.

Sunday Night at the Palladium has been promoted throughout BGT last night, so hopefully should be able too push towards 4.5m against BBC1 older skewing shows.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    ITV ceetainly need Home Fires to be a hit. So far tis year we have had no 6 part series that culd be returnable series. Although the fact the BBC have put The C Word at 8.30pm will automatically mean Home Fires won't stand a chance. I'm pretty sure those 5m+ viewers who watch AR tonight will not turn over.

Sunday Night at the Palladium has been promoted throughout BGT last night, so hopefully should be able too push towards 4.5m against BBC1 older skewing shows.

I would have thought that the Palladium was as old skewing as you could get.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I would have thought that the Palladium was as old skewing as you could get.

It might be old skewing, but I imagine compared too AR its a minow.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect there'll be the usual silly interviews about that week's Coronation St episodes: "Oooh, it's going at 9pm because it's going to be a cross between Debbie Does Dallas and Reservoir Dogs", ignoring the fact it's going to be as tame as ever because of the daytime repeats on ITV2. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friendly but should do alright considering BBC One's schedule tends to be more female skewing on a Sunday night.

I'm going to plump that BBC One are lining up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for the Sunday 9pm slot after the BAFTAs as they've started to promote it.
    Good for 5 million if the match is any good.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,287
    Forum Member
    Doctors (And other shows like Pointless) are on BBC2 this Friday due to an election special on 1. I don't ever remember Doctors airing on BBC2 as it's usually just bumped or airs after on BBC1 but does anyone know if Doctors has aired on Two before and how did it rate?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Expect the rugby team to get higher ratings then the football team :D
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The England v Ireland friendly match is at 1pm in the afternoon, so won't be disrupting the primetime schedules.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 Scotland opts out of Antiques Road Show tonight to show its final leaders' debate so the AR overnight rating will include that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    The England v Ireland friendly match is at 1pm in the afternoon, so won't be disrupting the primetime schedules.
    The main reason for this unusual kick off time is the last friendly in peak time in 1995 had to be cancelled as a riot broke out in the stands. The FA probably don't want a repeat of this and a lunchtime kick off means less time for the likes of the EDL to get drunk. However, it seems to be the most pointless friendly for years.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed it does. I checked when someone posted the 8pm time. Unfortunately the BBC website has the incorrect info in its fixture list.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Doctors (And other shows like Pointless) are on BBC2 this Friday due to an election special on 1. I don't ever remember Doctors airing on BBC2 as it's usually just bumped or airs after on BBC1 but does anyone know if Doctors has aired on Two before and how did it rate?
    I actually think the BBC should have aired Doctors on May Day this week and scrapped the Friday ep as there is only 4 eps this week
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The main reason for this unusual kick off time is the last friendly in peak time in 1995 had to be cancelled as a riot broke out in the stands. The FA probably don't want a repeat of this and a lunchtime kick off means less time for the likes of the EDL to get drunk. However, it seems to be the most pointless friendly for years.

Actually you can drink legally 24 hours a day in Dublin so shouldn't be a problem for the EDL, the pubs round the docks are open all night.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,287
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I actually think the BBC should have aired Doctors on May Day this week and scrapped the Friday ep as there is only 4 eps this week
    Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't have. I mean it's not like BBC 1 are airing anything special for Mayday.

Land Girls 1:30pm
    Escape to the Country 2:15pm
    Decimate 3:00pm
    Flog It 3:45pm

Same shows just in a different order/slightly different time slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Indeed it does. I checked when someone posted the 8pm time. Unfortunately the BBC website has the incorrect info in its fixture list.

I'm so glad you posted that, jlp95bwfc. I thought I was going mad. :blush:

Fair enough, so Home Fires could move to that Sunday then.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I dont know the content of Home Fires as I havent seen it yet but could it not air 8.30 - 9.30. With BGT around it from 7pm - 8.30pm with the results at 9.30pm - 10pm like the old Dancing on Ice Sundays
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    To be honest I dont know the content of Home Fires as I havent seen it yet but could it not air 8.30 - 9.30. With BGT around it from 7pm - 8.30pm with the results at 9.30pm - 10pm like the old Dancing on Ice Sundays

I wish they'd given Home Fires a stronger lead-in as it seems like the kind of thing that could do really well. I'm not sure how well sampled it will be tonight though.

To be fair BBC1 are airing the most depressing sounding drama ever against it so it could be worse competition wise. I think it'll rate in the 4's.
This discussion has been closed.